(Adventure) M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG (dpdx judging) COMPLETED

Manzanita

First Post
Into the trees

Since the group is not composed of experienced riders, it seems more sensible to lead the horses. Weapons are readied and the three horses led slowly into the trees above the path. No sooner than the second horse leaves the trail, a bell can be heard. It is not loud and rolling like a church bell, nor is it particularly loud, but it is clear enough, not musical, more like a dinner bell. It sounds for about a minute, and seems to be coming from the other side of the rockslide, though the distance is undiscernable.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Charlarn starts at the pealing of the bell. "I don't like the sound of that. We should go back the way we came, because we've probably been spotted. In any case, we may have goblins heading for us. What should we do? We have horses so we should be able to outrun them."

Gurdjieff

First Post
Steve Jung said:
Charlarn starts at the pealing of the bell. "I don't like the sound of that. We should go back the way we came, because we've probably been spotted. In any case, we may have goblins heading for us. What should we do? We have horses so we should be able to outrun them."

"We should at least take a look at what it is before chickening out. Otherwise this whole trip was for nothing, and I personally find that a very big waste of time."

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan's suggestion

Venus said:
"We should at least take a look at what it is before chickening out. Otherwise this whole trip was for nothing, and I personally find that a very big waste of time."

"Let's go back to the other side of the avalanche. Then we can make a speedy retreat. Wait and see if anything is coming for us, see what it is, then we can confirm that we've found goblin territory. But head out as soon as we see a goblin, and return only with reinforcements. If they have a sentry with a warning bell, then we're going to be outnumbered horribly."

Gurdjieff

First Post
orsal said:
"Let's go back to the other side of the avalanche. Then we can make a speedy retreat. Wait and see if anything is coming for us, see what it is, then we can confirm that we've found goblin territory. But head out as soon as we see a goblin, and return only with reinforcements. If they have a sentry with a warning bell, then we're going to be outnumbered horribly."

"If that was even a warning bell... But fine, since I can't ride the horse, I guess I don't have much of a choice."

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Venus said:
Orsal said:
"Let's go back to the other side of the avalanche. Then we can make a speedy retreat. Wait and see if anything is coming for us, see what it is, then we can confirm that we've found goblin territory."
He replies, "That should be fine, but be wary for ambushes. I'll lead, if that is agreeable."

OOC: If Charlarn can carry his loaded light crossbow with one hand while leading his horse with the other, he'll do that. Then his shield will be on his back, and his morningstar at his belt. If not, he'll ready his shield and have his morningstar at his belt.

Manzanita

First Post
So you guys are back on the road, as I understand it. You never got to the other side of the avalanch, but had merely entered the light forest uphill of the path. Charlyn can hold his load crossbow with one hand.

The bell continues to ding, clearly through the quiet late morning. The party remains still and alert, gazing intently about them. As they do so, Nurlan notices a broken wheel and several boards protuding from the rocks of the avalanch, about 20 feet down from the path. It appears a wagon may have been wrecked by the avalanch. After about a minute, the bell stops. Very soon, thereafter, the party hears some russling in the trees above and below the path, accompanied by some animalistic snorting. Soon a handfull of ghostly white humanoid figures can be vaguely seen approaching the path. Soon, the party's retreat will be cut off.

Gurdjieff

First Post
"Fight or run, you choose. But do it quickly. And no, we can't talk about this!"
Irene doesnt like the idea of being surrounded by these thingies and readies to cast Sleep the moment the humanoids block their escape route.

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
The bell continues to ding, clearly through the quiet late morning. The party remains still and alert, gazing intently about them. As they do so, Nurlan notices a broken wheel and several boards protuding from the rocks of the avalanch, about 20 feet down from the path. It appears a wagon may have been wrecked by the avalanch.

"What's that under the rocks?" Nurlan exclaims. "It looks like someone was killed by the avalanche. Or maybe by an ambush."

Manzanita said:
After about a minute, the bell stops. Very soon, thereafter, the party hears some russling in the trees above and below the path, accompanied by some animalistic snorting. Soon a handfull of ghostly white humanoid figures can be vaguely seen approaching the path. Soon, the party's retreat will be cut off.

When he hears the rustling Nurlan stops poking around the rocks and looks up. When he sees the ghosts he decides the investigation had better wait. He draws his bow (I'm assuming "vaguely" means they're not about to close into melee range) and begins singing the fourth verse of The Heroes of Tagraj, where he had left off earlier, intending to repeat that song's previous effect of inspiring the party's courage

Manzanita

First Post
I'll assume no one is mounted at this point.

The pale forms are moving rapidly towards the party. Most seem to be moving towards the path behind them, as if to cut off any escape. As they approach, Charlyn recognizes them as ghouls (DC=10 knowledge religion). As Nurlan begins singing, everyone feels a rush of adrenalin and their minds focusing on combat.

Remove ads