[Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
DON'T TRY TO DECEIVE US WITH YOUR AMIABLE MANNER, FOUL WARLOCK... WHICH ONE OF YOU IS THE WARLOCK ANYWAY? CLEVER HOW YOU USE CHILDREN TO SHIELD YOU - BUT I SEE THROUGH YOUR TRICKS; THEY ARE ZOMBIES IN DISGUISE!

In a few quick strides Sir Exsixten is across the room, one child held aloft as he stares at it.

HM, NO, THIS ONE SEEMS TO BE A CHILD, Sir Exsixten says, carefully setting it down and patting it on the head. DON'T GROW UP TO BE EVIL OR YOU WILL SOME DAY FACE ANOTHER CHAMPION OF THE LORDS OF AWESOME BREAKING INTO YOUR PUNY TOWER AND SEARCHING YOUR CHILDREN FOR SIGNS OF ZOMBIE!

He kneels in the midst of the children, hoisting each one individually to make sure they aren't zombies then dispatching a useful bit of advice with a pat on the head when he determines they aren't.

AHAH, THIS ONE IS CUNNINGLY DISGUISED AS A... NO, IT'S A CHILD... DON'T PICKPOCKET A LEPER, CHILD, YOU'LL PROBABLY END UP WITH MORE THAN YOU WANT...

WHAT PUTRID ZOMBIFICATION HIDES BENEATH THIS BUTTON NOSE AND HUGE CUTE EYES... HM, THIS ONE MIGHT BE A ZOMBIE, BUT IT EXCEEDS ALL KNOWN CUTEIOSITY LEVELS, NO HARM MUST BEFALL IT... STAY SAFE SON, STAY AWAY FROM SORCERY, DOING IT TOO MUCH CAN MAKE YOU GO BLIND AND GROW HAIR ON YOUR PALMS... OR WAS THAT SOMETHING ELSE...

PESTILENCE! THIS ONE UNLEASHED A BREATH WEAPON OF FOUL PLAGUE UPON ME... <DEFINITION: SNEEZE - ANALYZING...> AH, TAKE BETTER CARE OF THIS ONE BEFORE ITS LITTLE DISEASE GROWS UP AND BECOMES A DEATH PLAGUE... TINY FILTH PROJECTOR! SHOULD YOU FIND YOURSELF TRANSFORMING INTO A CONTAGION-BEAST, I ADVISE YOU TO PERFORM A COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS ON YOUR NEW STATE TO DETERMINE IF MORE MEMBERS OF THE GENERAL POPULACE WOULD BENEFIT OR DIE WRITHING FROM YOUR PRESENCE AND TAKE APPROPRIATE PERSONAL ACTION BASED ON YOUR FINDINGS!

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
Waaait, so this thing is yours? Alnar says to the gnome, pointing to Sir Exsixten. Well we found it, like you asked Cyr to do. Can you take it off our hands now? Perhaps dismantle it... or something.

Alnar suddenly remembers what the gnome cleric said to Ferris. Wait, you are from around here? Why didn't you say anything?! You never mentioned "watch out for the killer plants" or anything! That kind of stuff sure would have been nice to know, you know.

OOC: this is a scene which would go quite differently in real-life with interruption possibilities.

"I apologize for breaking down your door, as you say, your knight is somewhat...overenthusiastic. You told me you'll have more information for me if I recover him. Dauntonian party apparently perished in the swamp, we only found remains near him." - Cyr indicates Sir X610 - "The rest I found fighting for their lives with local fauna so I brought them back as I couldn't know at the time they weren't party you're looking for. They are from Daunton too."

samursus

Explorer
To Alnar, Ferris says "The world is a dangerous place, new friend, and one could go dizzy trying to name them all... besides, what fun would it be to know every surprise Dayna has for us!"

Ferris heartily welcomes his old mentor "Aye, I dinna expect to be back so quickly, but surely Dayna herself has had a hand in my destiny, to bring me back home this way..."

In a quieter voice "The humans of the island believe that mayhaps mine people or yours might have something to do with their missing artifact... do you know anything of which I speak, old friend?"

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
To Alnar, Ferris says "The world is a dangerous place, new friend, and one could go dizzy trying to name them all... besides, what fun would it be to know every surprise Dayna has for us!"
HAHA, I'm glad to see Dayna has a sense of humor! Alnar says laughing.

pacdidj

First Post
Waaait, so this thing is yours? Alnar says to the gnome, pointing to Sir Exsixten. Well we found it, like you asked Cyr to do. Can you take it off our hands now? Perhaps dismantle it... or something.

"Yes, I found sir knight in Liranth, one of the Eladrin ruins that dot the edges of the Shadowrift, during one of my research expeditions. Not sure how he came to be there, as he's clearly not of Eladrin make, but he's a wondrous artifact nonetheless, don't you agree? Might be nice if I could adjust his volume though. Never could manage it when he's on the march, but maybe during one of his periods of inactivity..." Fizzenden trails off and is silent for a moment, then continues, "Now, where was I? Ah, yes. The only problem is that sir knight has an excess of energy. That's part of the reason I sent him off to find that Dauntonian survey party: just to get him out of my hair. I can hardly finish a single experiment with him booming and clanging about all day long, and threatening to attack poor Hyrellon's woodland creatures."

Noting the protective manner in which Sir Exsixten interposes himself between the party and the assembled gnomes, Fizzenden adds, "But you see, sir knight has always had a bit of a stubborn streak, and it seems that not only has he taken a shine to you lot, but he must have wiped his memory sectors again, for he doesn't recognize me anymore. It looks like your stuck with him. You may take him with you with my blessings," the gnome proclaims, a touch of irony lighting his eyes.

"I apologize for breaking down your door, as you say, your knight is somewhat...overenthusiastic. You told me you'll have more information for me if I recover him.

"Hmm... yes," muses Fizzenden, considering Cyr's request, "As for information, well you said your deity sent you here seeking some kind of trouble, yes? Well we have plenty of that and more. It's Snarl's people, or at least I think it is. We've had dark-cloaked figures sneaking about here at night, causing all sorts of trouble, breaking windows, stealing things, scaring away our animals, and today we found one of Farvyn's bush turkeys all mutilated at the bottom of our well!," he says indicating the gnome in the coveralls, "Took us all day running the pump just to flush it out. They're still angry with us over the whole debacle with last year's Green Man ritual, I'll wager. Trying to get back at me through..." Fizzenden breaks off explaining his worries to Cyr in order to listen to Hyrellon's reply to Ferris.

In a quieter voice "The humans of the island believe that mayhaps mine people or yours might have something to do with their missing artifact... do you know anything of which I speak, old friend?"

"What's this about a missing artifact my son? Surely you don't mean one of their great totems? If so, this is grave news indeed. Fizzenden?," asks the cleric turning to the gnome leader, "I know there has been bad blood between all of our peoples of late, but surely even Snarl's people wouldn't resort to such vile mischief, would they?"

"I don't know, my friend," says Fizzenden shaking his head in astonishment in confusion, "Perhaps we should start at the beginning adventurers. Please come in."

He leads you into the main room of the large conical house, which seems to be a combination study-and-living-area. the perimeter is lined with tall bookshelves. Two large tables line one wall, one covered in a messy assortment of papers, beakers, powders, quills, and small bits of metal, the other supporting a single, large map of the island. Fizzenden directs you to the other side of the room though, which is covered in a rug, ringed with large, cushy canvas bags that seem to be filled with some kind of bean or seed. He and the other gnomes each pull up one of the bean bags and sit down, squishing deep into them. He motions you to take a seat as well.

"Can I get you anything? Some rootbush tea perhaps? I was just brewing a pot, before we saw you approaching and decided to hide. Can't be too careful these days. Now, tell me about this object you've been asked to find, and how you came to be on the Living Isle in the first place."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
SIR EXSIXTEN HAS PURGED THE ZOMBIE MENACE, Sir Exsixten says, as he examines the last of the children. He glances at the couple holding hands. BE SURE THAT YOU TWO ARE SAFE, THE BEST WAY? MAKE SURE SHE ISN'T A VIRGIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, LITTLE PEASANT - THERE'S MONSTERS OUT THERE THAT DEMAND VIRGIN SACRIFICES AND PREVENTION IS THE BEST CURE!

He turns to the group. SIR EXSIXTEN LISTENS INTENTLY TO THE CONVERSATION, AWARE THAT ANY WORD COULD BE A SIGNAL FOR AMBUSH. EVERY SYLLABIC UTTERANCE IS ANALYZED, INTERPRETED, ANY HIDDEN CODE WOULD INSTANTLY BE BROKEN BY - BLACK CLOAKED FIGURES, MURDER, BODIES IN WELLS, GREEN MEN, MISSING ARTIFACTS! I SENSE A CONSPIRACY. CITIZENS, BARRICADE YOURSELVES IN THIS ROOM, I WILL SCOUR THE VILLAGE AND FIND THESE VILLAINS.

Sir Exsixten rushes outside and is heard talking to himself, then shouting - A COMPACT-SIZED HORNED DEMON, IT FLARES ITS WHITE TAIL AT SIR EXSIXTEN IN CONTEMPT AS IT LURES HIM INTO THE TANGLED MORASS! AVAST, FACE SIR EXSIXTEN FACE TO FACE DEMON... Immediately after there is the sound of breaking branches and rusting underbrush, his voice fading as he chases something into the forest.

Last edited:

Luinnar

First Post
I hope he is just chasing Draco... Alnar mutters under his breath.

Anyway.. Botj sent for us. Old man, tribe near you. You probably know of him. Anyway, one of the tribes is missing Marna; their artifact. We have been sent to help.

By the way, we really need a Warlock to help us in our investigations, do you happen to have any in your village or know of any nearby? Alnar says, hoping the others will catch on.

[sblock=bluff=26]
roll.
[/sblock]

samursus

Explorer
Ferris looks at Alnar askance, not sure what he is up to.
"Uhh yes... we did detect a "wrongness" at the site of the missing totem, so much so that the natural creatures and flora avoided or withered in its presence." Ferris explains.

"My path is simple. In Daunton I had a vision of terrible evil on Kythira awakening. Jumped on a ship, had really good wind, even captain said so, so I assume Joven approves. Here, I asked you about the ruins and the trouble and here we are."

Remove ads