Adventure Module Pricing and Patronage Projects

fissionessence

First Post
For a while I preferred to make my own adventures, but then I figured I'd try out published stuff. As a DDI subscriber, I get three adventures a month for $5 (plus tons of other stuff). I also bought Goodman Games's The Forgotten Portal for like $10-$12 (I don't remember).

So . . . what's the correct price for an adventure? The above adventures seemed reasonably priced, but I've seen some patronage projects that seemed interesting, and the cheapest any of them is $30! Am I doing something wrong here? Is it really worth the extra $20 to have a little bit of feedback during the design process? Why isn't there an option to just buy the finished adventure for some lower price, for people who aren't interested in the 'patronage' or 'feedback' aspects?

I mean, I'd like to do the feedback and stuff aspect, but it's really not worth all that extra money to me. Not to mention that that $30 price doesn't even include a printed copy.

~

Dice4Hire

First Post
I think the patronage projects are not so much buying the module, as being part of the design process and getting close to an adventure/game designer. I took a look at Wolfgang BAuer's pricing system, and yes, if you look at it as purchasing a module, it is insanely over-priced, but it is a lot more than that, IMHO.

Note: I have not, nor will I probably ever take part in this, so I'm an outsider looking in.

The first thing is seeing the development form the beginnings of polls and questionnaires to set the system, tone and backstory of a module. If I remember right there was a poll for a half-dozen or so choices of module settings. After that, the design started, with those paying more money (up to $180.00!!!!!!) getting more say in the module's design, up to the level of being able to basically write a section of the module (under supervision)

That is a lot of interesting stuff, to watch this kind of process. Getting the module as a bonus is nice, and keeping it exclusive is kind of necessary, otherwise you devalue that part of the whole patronage deal. It is a quite interesting business, I must admit.

frankthedm

First Post
but I've seen some patronage projects that seemed interesting, and the cheapest any of them is $30! Am I doing something wrong here? Is it really worth the extra $20 to have a little bit of feedback during the design process? ~
Patronage isn't something that is going to be cheap. To my understanding, you finance the project.

I'd suspect You pay the amount, which has to be enough to make the endeavor worthwhile to the artist, for the amount of input you get into the project.

Why isn't there an option to just buy the finished adventure for some lower price, for people who aren't interested in the 'patronage' or 'feedback' aspects?~
Because that devalues the object in question. The Patrons paid a premium price for the object. Making it available for cheaper takes away value, both real and perceived.
I mean, I'd like to do the feedback and stuff aspect, but it's really not worth all that extra money to me. Not to mention that that $30 price doesn't even include a printed copy.
I agree with you, it is not worth the extra money to me either. But the projects existence is proof it IS "Worth It" to somebody out there.

Patronage is generally an endeavor for the well to do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronage#Arts

Last edited:

Monkey King

Explorer
FranktheDM and Dice4Hire nail it. Patron projects are inevitably for people who enjoy the design process, the behind-the-scenes discussion, and playtest as much as the final product. The price could probably be set higher.

There's no way to offer 6 months of discussion for the same price as a print module alone; it would frankly be a lot easier to write an adventure without collaboration or feedback at all.

So if you're just looking for something to run, you're better off with a module from a bigger publisher. If you want to have a conversation about design, patron projects might appeal.

All that said, some patron projects ARE available to the public. The 3E Zobeck Gazetteer and the upcoming 4E Iron Gazetteer, to name just two. No feedback, no discussion, just a regular purchase.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My only disagreement with Mr Monkey King is that I own Wrath and the upcoming project. Both are worth the money, w/o being involved in the process (at least I assume the new project is worth it, based on what I've seen).

I didn't know the Zobeck was available, I may need to buy that....

fissionessence

First Post
So if you're just looking for something to run, you're better off with a module from a bigger publisher. If you want to have a conversation about design, patron projects might appeal.

And what if you really like the look of one of the patronage adventures and think it looks cool, or you heard a good review of one from a while back?

If people just wanted to pay more for the conversation about design and the ability to input feedback throughout the process, then the patronage could cost an extra $15+. However, when all is said and done and the project is finished, the price can be dropped to a reasonable amount.

The value isn't diminished; the patrons paid for the experience.

What seems to be the case is that people want their stuff to be exclusive, so that no one else can have it. I actually find this point of view offensive, and it's the reason that even if I did decide the extra money is worth the conversation and feedback experience, I'd never participate in a patronage project where I didn't know the finished project would be available for purchase by anyone interested.

The reason I posted this thread is that Rite Publishing is doing an adventure that sounds really cool to me, and their FAQ states that the finished adventure will be available for purchase for the same price as a standard patronage. Since it's available to anyone interested (once it's done), it's a project I'd consider participating in, but the $30 price point for a pdf adventure module is still an issue.

~

Glyfair

Explorer
Some patrons paid for the exclusivity. I admit, I am quite happy that I am one of few who have access to Steam & Brass and it worth every single penny of the $10 I paid and more (even with next to no input at the lowest rate for that project).

I was involved in every project up to and including the Nic Logue adventure at the lowest level and have no regrets. Unfortunately, the 3E/4E schism happened so I am unlikely to put into a future project (and couldn't get into the one 4E project).

frankthedm

First Post
And what if you really like the look of one of the patronage adventures and think it looks cool, or you heard a good review of one from a while back?
Then it might be worth while considering getting on board on the next patronage product made by the artist
e
in question. Indeed, I'd suspect the choice of exclusivity is partially intended to encourage folks to get on board. "Missed the awesome module XXXX of the NNNN? Then get on board for the GGGG of UUUU before it is too late!"
However, when all is said and done and the project is finished, the price can be dropped to a reasonable amount.
Yes it can be. It does not have to be. That's between the Patrons and the artist.
Statement of disagreement. The patrons paid for exclusivity as well, if that was part of the bargain. If only 60 of a module exist, then it can, though might not, command a higher price on a secondary market that if 600 copies existed.
What seems to be the case is that people want their stuff to be exclusive, so that no one else can have it. I actually find this point of view offensive,
Exclusivity is a luxury many people are willing to pay for. Welcome to the battle between "the haves" and "the have nots".
and it's the reason that even if I did decide the extra money is worth the conversation and feedback experience, I'd never participate in a patronage project where I didn't know the finished project would be available for purchase by anyone interested.
All valid choices to make.
The reason I posted this thread is that Rite Publishing is doing an adventure that sounds really cool to me, and their FAQ states that the finished adventure will be available for purchase for the same price as a standard patronage. Since it's available to anyone interested (once it's done), it's a project I'd consider participating in, but the $30 price point for a pdf adventure module is still an issue.
Boils down to what you think your money is worth. $30 sounds steep to me, but I'm a cheapskate.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
As a patron of the latest patronage product, I think exclusivity is silly. I get no joy from owning the product, while others cannot. I want more happiness in the world, not less. However, I understand why others feel differently, I just disagree with them.

Monkey King

Explorer
Unfortunately, the 3E/4E schism happened so I am unlikely to put into a future project (and couldn't get into the one 4E project).

You are a fortunate man, indeed. To clarify one point, though: Halls of the Mountain King is a 4E project at this point. We're doing a 4E gazetteer for dwarves and a 175-page adventure.

However, odds are good that the *next* project won't be exclusive at all. People who want to discuss, pitch, design, and playtest will be able to do that by becoming patrons. People who just want the adventure can pick that up at any time at retail, and skip participating in patronage entirely.

Exclusivity has become less and less of an issue as more people are discovering the advantages of these kinds of projects. I'm ready to do one project without it, see how it goes.

Last edited:

Remove ads