[Adventure] Murder Most Foul! (Judge: EvolutionKB)

KarinsDad

Visitor
---------------------------------------------

PCs:
Boruuk: Goliath Fighter (Farce)
Tirial: Eladrin Ranger (RickRoll)
Knoepf: Dwarf Cleric (Dimsdale)
Hasifar: Human Sorcerer (Voda Vosa)
Artemus: Half-Orc Rogue (Velmont)


Major Quests: Discover the murderer and take appropriate steps (i.e. take him/her/it to the authorities, kill him, drive him out of town, whatever)

Minor Quests: There are two side quests that garner XP. These do not have to be done in order to accomplish the major quest.

XP Awarded: 0 XP

Treasure Awarded: None

Date Started: Jan 4, 2010
Judge: EvolutionKB

Rules of Play:

I don't have many rules of play. My main ones are to try to post at least once every day (with the possible exception for some people of weekends and holidays) and have fun. Let me know via PM if you have any issues with either of these (i.e. cannot post, or something is bothering you about the game).

I prefer conversations to be in character and not out of character. Please discuss in combat tactics in character (or ahead of time in character). If you want someone to flank for you, tell him to do so, or set up a code word to do so. I realize that people can PM each other to discuss tactics out of character, but I prefer that we don't do that.

Please pick a unique color "This is conversation" for your PC's talking and normal white for non-conversation descriptions. If you can, make the conversation color a brighter color.

Please use [sblock=OOC]This is for OOC, Actions, etc.[/sblock] for OOC, Actions, etc.

That's basically it.

KD
 
Last edited:

KarinsDad

Visitor
The wind is a bit cold and piercing as the group heads for Lower Menthis shortly before noon. It takes a while to walk there and they have to head down several lifts.

The atmosphere of the crowds change as the group gets closer. While most of the city is the normal bustling ebb and flow of people, the Menthis plateau seems more deserted, especially for the entertainment hub of the city. People there are walking more briskly and purposeful. There are very few people socializing on the streets. As the group gets to the lowest level of the plateau, it becomes apparent that people do not want to be on the streets. Walking past the many businesses though, it seems that business is not as adversely affected. People seem to be in reasonably decent spirits as sounds of laughter float out of the inns, taverns, and burlesque shows at the late lunchtime hour.

There are several more obvious businesses within the non-residential districts of Downstairs (the Diamond theater, the Four Sails restaurant), Firelight (the Lucky Nines casino, Savia's bordello), and Torchfire (Gailan's restaurant, the Ten Torches). Plus, there are many smaller businesses, mostly entertainment related.

There are also the two residential districts of Center Bridge and Forgelight Towers.

The story in the paper although interesting, is not very helpful to tracking down a murderer.

MURDER MOST FOUL!
Authorities remain silent today after the discovery of a third body in Lower Menthis in the early hours of this morning. Although the guard is not speaking, several witnesses in the area identified the man as Autor Krandon, a local stonemason. Accounts vary from Autor being thrown off a bridge from above, having his face torn off, and even him being the victim of a sacrificial ritual.

"Autor was a pretty strong guy, him working with stone and all. It would have to be a pretty big bloke to take him out. I just feel sorry for his wife and kids." noted local resident Bennie Oland.

Local reaction to the three deaths in the last tenday range from sympathy to rage. "Someone killed a four year old girl. What kind of monster would do that?" shouted a woman in the crowd.

Rumors of roaming groups of vigilantes have started and people in the area appear to be afraid of retaliatory groups as much as they are the murderer. One thing seems clear though. Menthis is now unsafe for people to walk alone at night and it might be some time before the authorities can handle the situation and bring the murderer or murderers to justice.

 

dimsdale

Visitor
Knoepf shivers in the cold as he attempts in vail to pull his weather-worn cloak around his midsection. "Ya know, the cold I can handle. It's this wind that chills me to the bone," he states to his comrades. "Ah...what to do first in our quest. I suggest we visit some of the local establishments. Maybe we can talk to someone who might know a thing or two, who hasn't come forward with information out of fear."

While talking, Knoepfl's every observant eyes scan the crowd for any unusual behaviors .

[sblock=ooc]
perception check: 1d20+7=18
[/sblock]

[sblock=stat block]
Knoepf: Dwarf Cleric: Level : 4
Advantageous Conditions:
Adverse Conditions:
Initiative: +1 Passive Insight: 22 Passive Perception: 17
Senses: Low Light Vision
Saving Throws: +5 vs poison
HP 40
Bloodied 20
Surge Value 10; Surges Per-Day 8
AC =19 Fortitude 14 Reflex 13 Will 20 Speed 5
Action Point: Not Used
Second Wind: Not Used
Powers
At will:
Astral Seal
Sacred Flame
Floating Lantern

[COLOR="Lime"]Encounter:
Divine Fortune
Healer's Mercy
Healing Word
Bane
Life Transference
Hymm of Resurgence
[/COLOR]
Daily:
Beacon of Hope
Symbol of Perservence

[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

RickRoll

Visitor
Tirial walks casually, at ease with her current companions, although her eyes scan the few people moving through the streets. "Not too sure how much we'll find out standing out here in the streets. Seems like there's more people inside those buildings" she says, pointing to what is identified as the Four Sails restaurant.

"Unless someone has a better idea, we could start there?" Tirial suggests

[sblock=ooc]
Passive Perception is 20

[/sblock]

[sblock=stat block]
Tirial - Female Eladrin Ranger 4
Advantageous Conditions:
Adverse Conditions:
Initiative: +7 Passive Insight: 17 Passive Perception: 20
Senses: Low Light Vision
HP 45/45
Bloodied 22
Surge Value 11; Surges Per-Day 7/7
AC =21 Fortitude 15 Reflex 19 Will 17 Speed 6
Action Points: 1
Second Wind: Not Used
Powers
At will:
Nimble Strike
Twin Strike

[Encounter:
Fey Step
Two-Fanged Strike
Disruptive Strike
Yield Ground
Rebounding Greatbow +2

Daily:
Hunter Bear's Trap
Cloak of Resistance +1

[/sblock]
 

Voda Vosa

Visitor
"No quest'n to tha' ma'lady." says the man, still munching the straw. He seems unaffected by the cold, used to worse wheaters. However, he's well dressed to withstand the chilling wind.

[sblock]
Wild Soul: 8 Resist 5 Psychic dmg and ignore 5 resistance to said damage from enemies.
[/sblock]
 

Velmont

Visitor
"If you want to meet people who hears things they shouldn't be heard, it is elsewhere you should head, like there." replies Artemus to Tirial, pointing Savia's bordello. "I would gladly go there to investigate, but my manners with ladies is not well appreciated except to the most masochist or greedy ones."
 

Farce

Visitor
The goliath, Boruuk, catches up to you, his long legs making up the distance to the group, "Phew, you were so quick, I didn't even see you leave" the goliath says, stopping where the others congregate.

Hearing the last bit from Artemus, Boruuk asks "What is a bordello?"
 

Velmont

Visitor
"A place where you pay to..." This moment of interruption is introduce by the grandma rules "... but you could have all that for free if you are a charmer. But personally, it is too much trouble to seduce a girl. It is a lot easier to get the gold to pay those girl. But make them talking might be a bit more troublesome, as their clients expect some discretion and those women doesn't want to lose their reputation."
 
Last edited:

Farce

Visitor
A childlike grin appears on the goliath's face as Artemus begins explaining things to him, things that would make even Boruuk's open grandma turn red. "Uh, yeah, maybe he is right? Maybe they have the information we need, uh, and maybe, someone can charm them. I am not so good with words. Anyone here can speak good?" Boruuk asks
 

dimsdale

Visitor
A childlike grin appears on the goliath's face as Artemus begins explaining things to him, things that would make even Boruuk's open grandma turn red. "Uh, yeah, maybe he is right? Maybe they have the information we need, uh, and maybe, someone can charm them. I am not so good with words. Anyone here can speak good?" Boruuk asks

Knoepf looks at Boruuk and then to Artemus, then roles his eyes and shakes his head. "Lads, what you speak of doesn't even compare to a large hot bowl of beef stew, with a loaf of bread straight out of the oven, and a pint of dwaven ale to wash it all down...Ahhhhh..."the dwarf sighs with a a grin from ear-to-ear. "Enough of this talk. Let's get to the task at hand. I suppose this establishment is a good place to start our quest...although, not quite for the reasons Artemus and Boruuk want to go there I'm sure." Knoepf chuckles.


[sblock=ooc: Adventuring Careers]
All character careers have been updated for each character in this adventure.
here
Please check here to make sure there are no errors.

thanks

dimsdale
(Self Appointed LEB Archivist)
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

KarinsDad

Visitor
[sblock=Party Consensus]
I tried to PM this message, but dimdales mailbox is full.

Generally, once three players state that they want to go in a given direction or do a certain thing, I'll consider that a party consensus and move us in that direction. At the moment, people are more or less making suggestions, so I'll wait until people post that they definitively want to go in one direction or another before I post.
[/sblock]
 

Voda Vosa

Visitor
Hasifar ponders the half orc's suggestion, and watches with a joyful face as the goliath's nativity becomes apparent. "Wel', a charm'r I 'm not me fri'nd, but'I'll see to it, I have certain somethin' witha ladies 'f ya know wha' I mean." says the peasant, smiling wickedly to the other males of the party. "We could split up, to cover more ground faster ah? wha'ya say?"
 

dimsdale

Visitor
Hasifar ponders the half orc's suggestion, and watches with a joyful face as the goliath's nativity becomes apparent. "Wel', a charm'r I 'm not me fri'nd, but'I'll see to it, I have certain somethin' witha ladies 'f ya know wha' I mean." says the peasant, smiling wickedly to the other males of the party. "We could split up, to cover more ground faster ah? wha'ya say?"
"Based on recent events I think that it is in our best interest that we should stick together as a group. What say we check out this Salvia's place, as I believe that many adventurers have told even their most precious secrets to...shall we say...members of this profession." Knoepf shrugs his shoulders. "Who knows, maybe one of them might give us a possible lead."
 

RickRoll

Visitor
Tirial rolls her eyes as the men excitedly discuss the brothel, "Fine, whatever, if it makes you happy to see than let's start there" she says, a hint of annoyance in her voice.
 

Velmont

Visitor
"You like it or not, most man can't shut his mouth in front of a lovely lady, and only a few men can do the same effect to ladies. That's one reality of this world." tells Artemus to Tirial before heading to the bordello.
 

KarinsDad

Visitor
The wind cuts down as the group makes its way through the streets, blocked by the many buildings and towers. But there is still a chill in the air, or possibly that is just each person's nerves as they contemplate the future to come.

But the chill quickly vanishes as the group enters Savia's. The lobby is warm and the whistling wind can no longer be heard. The room is stylishly decorated. Off to the left side, the group sees about a dozen women of various races, reflecting the culture in Lower Menthis, sitting in an equally stylish parlor. There are also a few men in the parlor. Most of these people are fairly attractive and they quickly stop their conversation and look in the direction of the lobby as such a large group enters.

On the opposite end of the lobby from the entrance door is an ornate desk with an extremely attractive, well coifed and well dressed Elven woman sitting behind it. Off on each side of the desk, a corridor leads further into the building directly away from the door.

"Welcome to Savia's. My name is Lorella. How might I be of assistance? the woman purrs in a throaty, but still refined voice.

[sblock=Skill checks]
There is an information skill challenge involved here and will be for many of the places in Lower Menthis that you visit. All of the places that you visit here will be considered components of a single large skill challenge.

Feel free to make Bluff, Diplomacy, Perception, Insight, Intimidate, Aid Another, Streetwise, or any other skill checks that you want via Invisible Castle. The results of the rolls can contribute to the direction and results of the roleplaying. The first two rolls posted of each skill will be used, the rest of the rolls will be considered Aid Another. So if you want to help out and have a poor modifier to a given skill, use Aid Another instead. It will help more.

Also, be cognizant of what other PCs are doing. For example, Intimidate and Diplomacy might cancel each other out.

In the case of two way communication skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Streetwise, and Aid Another for these types of skills, make sure you add your side of the conversation to your posts. It's not just about rolling the dice. Each player need only make one skill check of each type they want to attempt at this location. And remember, this adventure is supposed to be challenging. You will need to roleplay skill challenges well to get the necessary information out of the NPCs. They might not just blurt it out for free if you ask a question, even if you rolled high on a skill. Feel free to post more than a single sentence and really communicate with the NPCs. The skill checks are there to assist the roleplaying, not take the place of it.

Especially for the more obscure skills (but also for ones like Bluff), explain what you are thinking of within the OOC. For example, if you want to make a History check, explain why you think it is appropriate within this skill challenge.

Also, Streetwise is an hour long skill check (as per the rules), so the information acquired during a short conversation here from it will be limited. A single roll here will roll over into other locations visited, and I will supply more information from it throughout the next "in game hour" at each location if appropriate.

I will try to post frequently in response to posts during conversations for the NPCs as if a real conversation is going on and will not wait for posts from every or even most players first.
[/sblock]
 

Velmont

Visitor
Artemus whisper a moment at Hasifar. "Most popular girls are most likely to have heard most rumors. And if by chance our target come here, now it will be hard to tell which one he like the most."

Artemus takes out the purse given by his employer and starts to look around. "Please to meet you. The big guy there..." pointing at Boruuk "... is at his first experience. What do you have to offer? Who are your most popular girls? Who are willing to fill special taste?"

[SBLOCK=OOC]I'll try to aid Hasifar by introducing him to the best girl. Action: Aid Another (with Diplomacy) (1d20+3=4) Big failure on the roll![/SBLOCK]
 

Farce

Visitor
*Before entering*

As they walk inside, Boruuk turns to Tirial, "You elf's have good eyes, yes? Ok, then you keep an eye out for trouble, I can help a bit. In the mountains, there was always trouble around so you learn to watch out for stuff" the goliath whispers to the eladrin.

*After entering the brothel*

Boruuk listens to Artemus' words and begins looking around the bordello, his eyes lighting up at the sight of women in the adjoining room. "Yes, he's right, I haven't ever, ummm, spent the night with a women-type before" Boruuk blurts out, his dark face turning a bit red as he hadn't meant to spill that last part out, but he tries to push through the embarrassment and looks for the female in the next room who appears to be standing with the most ease, or that the others look deferentially to.

[sblock=ooc]
Aid another (Tirial) - Perception to determine the most "experienced" lady - 1d20+8=10 *whew* just barely.[/sblock]
 

KarinsDad

Visitor
"Well, a straping big fellow like you might be interested in one of our more endowed girls. Reanna, Caddry." she raises her voice slightly and claps her hands lightly.

An attractive (at least for a half orc) woman and a slightly larger but also attractive human woman stand up and walk over towards the desk. Both of the women are over six feet tall, but nowhere near Boruuk's eight feet.

Both walk with a certain amount of elegance for such large women.

"You may have either or both, but you will need to leave your weapons safely locked away in a side room. An hour engagement will cost you five gold pieces per girl. If you are interested in someone else, please choose who you like." Lorella says and again claps her hands lightly and the rest of the people in the parlor stand up.

[sblock=Experienced]To Boruuk's inexperienced eye, each of the girls look equally experienced. But, some are younger and some older, so the older girls might have been around longer.[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top