[Adventure] Scratching the Surface (Judge: Stonegod)

Son of Meepo

First Post
[sblock=Son of Meepo]
:confused::confused::confused:

Totally missed the use of RPs in LEB :eek:

Would you allow me to redeem 6 RPs for Varis to bring him to level 6?
That way he would be nearer to the average party level. The mechanical part of the adventure hasn't yet begun and this way I wouldn't need to get approved twice (once for level 5 and a second time for level 6.

Thanks!

[/sblock]

[sblock]That's totally fine with me. Be whatever level you are qualified to be. As far as the challenges go, skill challenges are based on the average party level, whereas for combat encounters I base the xp budget on the actual levels of the PCs.

So if I am building an encounter of level +1 for this group (PC levels 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7) then I take monsters of levels 5, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8 and add up the xp. So for this party that would be 200+250+300+300+300+350 = 1700 xp to stock the encounter.[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
"Ha! Will you look at this Tavishny?," Crush gestures off the bow of the ship, nudging Ryk in the ribs, "I've never been out to sea before. Marvelous. Simply marvelous!"

"Sir! Permission to stand watch in the crows nest?," the warforged barks, startling the weary first mate at the helm. When he gives a hesitant nod, Crush immediately climbs the rigging of the main mast and takes up a perch at the top. Staring out to sea, and occasionally making exclamations of wonderment, every time the ship passes a rock, island, or particularly large wave.

On Puget Sound

First Post
It is remarkable. And a beautiful day, now that we're out of Sharn's rain and stink. Why would anyone build a city under a permanent raincloud?

Son of Meepo

First Post
You spend several days on the open sea, the breeze at your backs for nearly the entire trip. Just when boredom threatens to set in you see a beckoning shore on the horizon. Scrubland encroaches on the coastal beach within a quarter mile of the water line, and soon that gives way to a dense, swampy jungle. Though only a fraction of the size of Shard, the vibrant city of Zarash'ak, The City of Stilts, stands out like a scar on an otherwise pristine wilderness.

Slowly the galleon delicately navigates the bay until the waterway becomes too narrow to permit further passage of the large ship. Rowboats are prepared so that you and your employer can disembark.

"Welcome to Zarash'ak," Rhogar booms. "We will stay here for the evening. Feel free to wander the city and gather any last minute supplies or information. We leave aboard a river ferry promptly at dawn. Our final destination is Sourl'ash, a small village far north of here, at the edge of the Crawling Swamp."

On Puget Sound

First Post
Where shall we sleep tonight? Is there an inn here? Once a meeting place is established, Ryk rushes to explore Zarash'ak, saurian companion close behind. He is assaulted by the heat and humidity; although the Talenta Plains can get hot in summer, the sheer weight of the air sits heavy in the halfling's lungs.

He soon discovers the air has not only weight, but teeth. Or mouths at any rate. The thick swarms of mosquitos and biting flies keep him slapping and twitching, though the locals seem scarcely to notice them. The bugs fail to bite through Spring's scaly hide, or perhaps he just doesn't taste good.

The stories Ryk has heard about swamps always include poisonous snakes and insects, so he decides to buy some antivenom if he can find some.

OOC: Looking to spend 60 gp on 3 antivenom doses.

Vertexx69

First Post
Karananak Bole (A.K.A. Swarmwhisper), Wilden Swarm Druid/Artificer 5

Call of the Wild

Karananak takes a deep breath of the nostalgically stagnant air as the row boat hits the dock. The hum of the endless swarm makes the druid smile for no reason in particular. "Dis ere bein dee closes I an I ave phone to uh place like dee par toe duh Feywild I an I bein comin froam. Dat um is bein an always in I an I's ome."

The town seems to hold little interest to the wilden, with the untamed wilderness so close. But he remains with the group, knowing they have no chance out there without him. Eve wraps her long, prehensile tail around his thin arm tightly as the calls of the many predators in the swamp begin calling out in the dusky light of sundown.[sblock=Actions]Free: Speak
Minor:
Move: deboard dingy
Standard: fidget with a bit of rope[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 5; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 50/50, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Summon Shadow Ape
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:
Summoner's Staff +2 (Daily &#10022 Summons) Immediate Interrupt. Trigger - An enemy hits a creature Karananak summoned. Effect - Triggering enemy rerolls attack and must use 2nd roll.
Hunting Beasthide Armor +1 (Encounter &#10022 Beast Form): Move Action. You shift 2 squares.
[sblock=Summons]Pack Wolf—Summons 1
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 25/25; Bloodied 12
Bite +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+7 damage, and if the wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is knocked prone (+1d6 extra dmg).
Instinctive Effect:
If Karananak hasn't given the wolf any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent prone creature. If it can't do that, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.

Shadow Ape—Summons 5
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6, Climb 4
Slam +10 vs. Reflex; 1d8+7 damage, and all creatures have concealment from the target until the end of your next turn.
Instinctive Effect: If Karananak hasn't given the ape any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.[/sblock]
Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Intro post with description.

Were we getting any sort of advanced payment that we could spend here? It was completely glossed over in the question/answer session before. Otherwise there's nothing Karananak can do here. If we do then Karananak will spend the night upgrading his basic amulet to lvl 3.

You'll have to forgive my attempt at a Jamaican accent, just try to sound it out phonetically or use the translation below. :cool:[sblock=Translation]This is the closest I've found to place like my part of the Feywild. That hum is a constant in my home.[/sblock][/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Varis d'Lyrandar , Half-Elf Bard 6

Varis looks around, meeting Ryk on his way (ooc: and also buying two anti-venom, if possible).
He somehow doesn't seem to suffer from mundane gnats and other insects. Maybe the slight smell of ozone around him, the weak static electricity on his skin or the slight breeze around him keep them away.
He also tries to speak to the locals about the newest happenings, always trying to get a feel for the location around him.

[sblock=OOC (includes wishlist)]

Wishlist:
Level 2 Eberron dragonshard of lightning
upgrades to +2 for current sword and armor.

[sblock=Mini stat block]

Varis d'Lyrandar
Perception: 20 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 21 Fortitude 19 Reflex 20 Will 21
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +2 vs charm, illusion, sleep
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 10 / 10
At-Will Powers: Lightning Longsword, Vicious Mockery, War Song Strike
Encounter Powers: Burning Spray, Shout of Triumph, Inspire Competence, Impelling Force, Word of Friendship, Song of Conquest, Majestic Word 2/2
Daily Powers: Stirring Shout, Song of Discord, Extra lightning damage

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
Where shall we sleep tonight? Is there an inn here? OOC: Looking to spend 60 gp on 3 antivenom doses.

[sblock]Feel free to buy any ritual scrolls or alchemical items you need, the maximum level of such an item available here depends upon the key skill used in the ritual or alchemical formula (use the highest level if multiple skills are applicable)

Nature 10
Heal 10
Religion 6
Arcana 4
Thievery 4

Potions and reagents and whetstones of level 7 or lower are also readily available.

Any +1 magic ammunition is also available.

The availability of permanent magic items is case by case, but likely available in a large city like this.[/sblock]

Were we getting any sort of advanced payment that we could spend here? It was completely glossed over in the question/answer session before. Otherwise there's nothing Karananak can do here. If we do then Karananak will spend the night upgrading his basic amulet to lvl 3.

Now that you have arrived in Zarash'ak, Rhogar agrees to expense any purchases (up to 200 gp each), which will be deducted from your payment at the end of the mission.

Vertexx69

First Post
Karananak Bole (A.K.A. Swarmwhisper), Wilden Swarm Druid/Artificer 5

Of Fire and Poison's Proof

Karananak bows deeply to Rhogar for the advance. "Yuh be avin metanx good saw. I an I be avin some preyprayshuns bafoa we be settin off in dee mornin den."

The wilden moves through the marketplace of the city gathering the components for the ritual he means to perform. The stares he gets seem less severe this close to the borderlands of the untamed, asmany of the druid's people must have come through the boundaries of the Feywild near here. And their natural curiosity would have brought the wilden to this place eventually.

Walking a little way down the beach, along the way finding a small crystal poking out of the dark sand. He builds a bonfire a bit away from the high evening tide with driftwood, and scratches a tiny hole in one end of the crystal. The wilden's low voice can be heard for some distance beyond the crackle of the roaring fire as he dances and chants around the blaze for some time. Every few turns around the flame he stops and sprinkles some dust from a metal vial over the crystal, which he has strung onto the necklace he had been wearing before. The amulet held in one hand, his other dissolves into a writhing mass of creatures and he wrings a trio of drops of the purest emerald poison from one of the tiny beasts. They fall in front of the firelight like three green stars from the heavens, through the outer surface of the crystal to be caught at its center forever. The bonfire flashes a brilliant green and then dies as the last of the residuum is blown over the amulet's naturally faceted face.

Karananak reties the necklace beneath the back of his giant afro and rises back onto his taloned feet. He returns to the city in the dark, never missing a step or tripping in the dim moonllight. He finds the others and rests until just before dawn.[sblock=Actions]Free: Speak
Minor:
Move: through the city and across the beach
Standard: Perform the Enchant Magic Item Ritual [/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 5; Resist 5 Fire/Poison, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 50/50, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Summon Shadow Ape
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:
Summoner's Staff +2 (Daily &#10022 Summons) Immediate Interrupt. Trigger - An enemy hits a creature Karananak summoned. Effect - Triggering enemy rerolls attack and must use 2nd roll.
Hunting Beasthide Armor +1 (Encounter &#10022 Beast Form): Move Action. You shift 2 squares.
[sblock=Summons]Pack Wolf—Summons 1
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6
Bite +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+7 damage, and if the wolf has combat advantage against the target, the target is knocked prone (+1d6 extra dmg).
Instinctive Effect:
If Karananak hasn't given the wolf any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent prone creature. If it can't do that, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.

Shadow Ape—Summons 5
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15, Will: 19 — Speed: 6, Climb 4
Slam +10 vs. Reflex; 1d8+7 damage, and all creatures have concealment from the target until the end of your next turn.
Instinctive Effect: If Karananak hasn't given the ape any commands by the end of his turn, it attacks an adjacent enemy if it can. Otherwise, it moves its speed to a square adjacent to an enemy.[/sblock]
Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]Intro post with description.

Takes 1 hour to enhance Karananak's +1 Amulet of Protection into a +1 Amulet of Health (680g-360g=320g of Residuum spent) So I used the 200g advance + 120g of my own Residuum.

You'll have to forgive my attempt at a Jamaican accent, just try to sound it out phonetically or use the translation below. :cool:[sblock=Translation]You have my thanks good sir. I have some preparations to make before we set off in the morning.[/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads