(Adventure) The old fashioned way...

Manzanita

First Post
The party dofts their weapons, and walks towards the fire with the woman and half orc. They confirm that they are, in fact Annalyn and Modar Kreel. Annalyn seems quite confortable with the group's presence, though the half orc stays away, and is very guarded. The wolf stays at his side. Annalyn pulls a few fish out of the creek where they had been tied after having been caught earlier. The group guts them and begins cooking dinner.

"I eloped." says Annalyn, as they work. "My father would have never allowed me to marry Modar, even though his wizard credentials are good. Perhaps you passed by our first campsite where we were married. We had lit candles and decorated it. Orcs aren't much for that, but I improvised. You can stay here tonight, if you wish. And then go back to my father. Tell him I'll be back when I'm ready. Sooner, if he'll sanction my marriage."

Zerth

First Post
Durg

"Marry... I see," Durg muttered looking genuinely surprised. "Why father not like Modar, if he great wizard? Father also wizard."

The half-orc scratched his head, "Or is it, because Modar also wizard. He competition?"

Knight Otu

First Post
"I have the feeling that it is because he is a half-orc. But there are still a few things that do not make much sense. Your horse arrived at home with its saddle cut. We found one of this big wolves, apparently killed in a fight."

Manzanita

First Post
Annalyn

Annalyn laughs and waves her hand. "Oh yes. We wanted it to look like I was kidnapted. That wolf was old. If you knew wolves you would have known that. It had to be put away anyway. We killed it, cut my horses strap, and made off. And yes. It's because Modar is half-orc that my father would object."

Zerth

First Post
Durg

Durg finally realized, what must've been obvious to everyone else from the beginning. And being a half-orc himself, it angered him. So, it was because, Modar was a half-orc. There was no question anymore, who's side Durg was going to take. He also understood, why the other wizard asked him so adamantly, that he had no problem fighting orcs. Bah! He had no qualms fighting any race, but this offended him personally. A half-orc not good enough for his daughter?

Annalyn, on the other hand, gained a huge amount of respect in his eyes for the brave decision she had dared to make against her father's will. Durg muttered something incomprehensible, but suddenly got up and knelt before Annalyn. "Durg like Fair Lady Annalyn. Not like father at all. Durg swear to help you, if he can. Does Fair Lady accept Durg as her champion?"

There was something obviously very comical about the situation, where a huge half-orc wearing tattered clothing was acting suddenly so knightly, but there was nothing funny about the way every word was spoken.

Last edited:

Steadfast

First Post
Cailean shoots a concerned look to Semabin and then back to the rest of them. "Well, my mind's made up as well, but that leaves us with a rather sticky problem in your father. For one, if we betray him he may well send the next group of hunters-for-hire after us, and for two, even if we do betray him, that won't stop him from hunting you two."

Knight Otu

First Post
"Cailean is right. I fear he won't accept the truth easily. It seems the three of us are ready to help you, if I understand Cailean correctly, but there is still the question how to help you.
We propably will have a hard time to bluff or distract him. I must say that I do not know how to go about this. You know your father better. If you know a way we can help you...?
"

Subconciously, Semabin begins to recite portions of the Sairundani elemental poems, wondering if they can give him a bit of insight.

"Fight wind by being more enduring than the wind, by being as hard as rock.
Endure the strikes of the wind as it tries to persuade you to leave, and you will be victorious.

Fight fire not by fighting it, but by fighting its fuel.
Cause fire to hunger and follow your commands, and you will be victorious.

Fight earth by being swift, always a step ahead.
Be as the wind as earth strikes against you, and you will be victorious.

Fight water not by fighting it, but by controling it.
Cause water to regard you as itself, and you will be victorious.
"

Manzanita

First Post
Annalyn

Annalyn ponders Durg's words briefly. Then she takes his hand and pulls him back to his feet. "Yes, Durg. I take you as a champion. You are a special one, aren't you."

Annalyn tilts back her head and laughs. The smile on her face seems to brighten the clearing. For here is a beautiful woman, healthy, happy and alive. More than one heart twinges, perhaps, as she represents something no amount of adventuring can attain.

She removes a gold ring from her right hand, and hands it to Modar. "Could you mark this with the symbol of your service?"

Modar nods. He holds the ring closely and mutters some arcane phrases. Then hands it back to Annalyn. Noticing that is is too small to fit Durg's fingers, she releases a thin silver chain from her neck, slips it through the ring, then rises up on her tiptoes, and fastens it around Durg's neck.

"You are in my service now. But feel no need to start right away. Your first task is to take the message to my father. That I am happy here, and on my honeymoon. I will return in my own good time. He need have no fear for my safety or happiness. Simply tell him this. I believe he will know it to be true. I doubt he will send anyone else after me. After all, I am now married. And he does love me; he would not have anyone harm me."

Durg may link the next post to his CS.

Manzanita

First Post
Durg's ring

The small gold ring is engraved on the outside with a crossed staff and spear, a symbol of orc wizardry known to many(knowledge(arcana) DC 6, Geography DC 10, Bardic knowledge DC 10). It also has a stylized M indicating Modar Kreel (a renowned orcish wizard). On the inside of the ring is written in Orcish: Durg the Monk.

This ring will generally guarentee safe passage in orcish lands of the North. In other places, it will probably be taken favorably by orcs, but could be disregarded, or even treated with additional hostility, at the DMs discretion.

Among traders and travelers in the North, it could easily sell for 200 gps. In other places, as little as 1 gp (its gold weight).

Last edited:

Zerth

First Post
Durg

Durg accepts the ring and bows to both Annalyn and Modar. "You honor Durg like noone ever has, mylady. Hopefully Durg can honor You by serving well. Message will be delivered."

Remove ads