• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalidrev

First Post
"Oh! heh. Well if that be all yer sayin', then I be 'pologizin'. Also, I think I c'n be makin another pot'o' soup when we be done, so we c'n eat an also have our... gem soup, heh."

[sblock=ooc] The gem is roughly the size of a large grapefruit. [/sblock]

[sblock=Horned Turtle] Sorry, I forgot to post yesterday what the results of your arcana checks. I think when you put "orb" you meant the gem, so I'll tell you what you got for the gem. GEM: The outside of the gem seems to be nothing more than a faceted covering of amber, however you can sense a magic deep within the gem. Something not like what you normally see with arcane magic, and yet, it's also not able to be classified as divine magic either. It's almost like the two completely different types of magic were blended in their very nature. PEDESTAL: The pedestal seems normal in every way except for the protective anti-teleporation aura. [/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Just a reminder that Grryths natural 20 on his Perception check was also for looking at all the other characters in the room to take a measure of them. In other words it's a good way to, in character, get points across about your character to others.
Thanks TwoHeadsBarking for picking up on that and giving a little 'hint' about Alexia
[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Alexia politically ignores the heavy flirting as she speaks up, "That sounds like a good idea, Grryth, but remember that we need to guard the jewel for several days, not several hours. Necessity may drive us to leave the house at some point, so let's not dig ourselves in too deeply."

She pauses, considering something, "Actually, that may be a problem for us. I don't know how badly these thieves want the gem, but they may be willing to force us out through use of fire, smoke, or gas. If we need to leave in a hurry, I know I'm not thrilled at the idea of having to submerge my arm into a cauldron of boiling water in order to get at that gem while choking to death on some sort of alchemical nightmare. Still, if they aren't prepared for it, it would give them no small amount of trouble, so I guess it's a decent plan regardless. Just something to be wary of."

"Sir?" she turns towards Garrick, "Might I ask your name? The rest of us have shared ours."

DMDanW

First Post
As Alexia talks about digging in deep and possibly having to leave, Grryt htakes a second glance around the house, apparently looking for something.

"Um, scuse me miss Gurdis, but could you please point out where exactly the privy be, just for future reference and all since we be stayin a while"

[sblock=OOC]
It's one of those funny things in games - never any washrooms in building and characters just never need to go.....but Ihad to mention it, since there are 7 of us in a 2 room house, and niether of those 2 rooms is the washroom.
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Gurdis points outside to the privy in the south-east corner of her property.

"There be a room ye c'n relieve yerself in jus o'er there. Jus' be quick 'n' quiet bout it cause it be out front. Don' wanna thieves t'see ye an catch'a with yer pants down... heh heh, quite lit'rally too! heh heh heh!"

[sblock=LOL] Funny enough, I had already placed a privy on my map of her property before you asked that question. I always wondered why DMs never had privies or washrooms in large human settlements in their maps. Why would you NOT want to have a badguy kick yer butt by givin' you a swirlie!? LOL [/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Judge-ness]
Yes that's true most of the time the most basic necessity of relieving onesself is overlooked. Even most maps created for published adventures leave out this fact, yet how many adventures take place in the sewers? Where does all that sewage come from....hmmmm...
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Sewage] My guess is that the 5000 to 100,000 people in the city hold it until it is literally impossible to do so, walk down into the sewers, and then they die a grizzly death of exploding in a shower of excrement. This would explain why there are so many rats and skeletal undead in sewer sections of adventures! =P [/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
A couple of hours pass while the group converses and Gurdis finishes making her stew, being sure to give the dragonborn another hunk of raw meat. After she finishes serving her guests, she starts over and makes another pot of stew, this time, hanging it over the lit fire in the fireplace. Pretty soon, the stew is boiling and no-one would dare stick their bare hands into the hot liquid. Taking the adventurer's advice, Gurdis takes out another small glass orb, smaller than her real gem (but who would know!?) and places it on the pedistal, replacing the gem, which she promptly drops into the now boiling soup. Pulling out a large hankerchief, she walks back to the pedistal and drapes it over the glass orb.

"I do be 'pologizin' but I don' be havin' extra beddin' fer ye. It be gittin' late now, so I'll be goin' t'bed. Ye c'n knock on me door if'n ye needs any'thin'. G'night!"

Gurdis walks into her room, quietly closing the door, secure in the fact that her property and heirloom were safe from intruders.

[sblock=OOC] It is currently well after sundown (about 9pm). If you guys are going to stay up and keep watch or doing anything else besides sleep, I'll need to know who is doing what. If you are all going to sleep, I'll need to know that as well. [/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
At Gurdan's comment, Gurdis huffs. "An whater ya tryin't'say bout me cookin' huh!? If'n ya think it be not t'yer likin' without e'en a taste, then ye c'n do without!"

Lo-Kag pipes up and states after ripping at the last piece of flesh, mouth and teeth bloodied "Gurdis, I very content with your cooking...and might I add that this is some of the best tasting meat I've had in a long time."

After licking his teeth a few times, Lo-Kag states, "I like the plan of moving the gem, not in the bottle of the hot kettle. Is there any other hiding place where we could place the gem, or maybe we can have it placed with someone. How heavy is the gem after all?" He looks around the room to see if anyone is interested in this idea.

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
Garrick turns to Alexia and presents himself. I guess we haven't introduced ourselves yet. I'm Garrick, an adventurer of sorts. I must say that this kind of mission is a first for me so I won't be helping much with experience in here, but I can slice or blast almost anything without much of an effort.

As he says that he reaches into his small side pouch and retrieves an strange double sword, amazing anyone who hadn't heard about bags of holding before. He gives it a couple of test swings and then stores it again.

I could store the gem in here, but I'm not sure if our contractor would be too happy about that. After all there would be no way to know if what I give back is in fact the same gem or not.

As everyone gets confortable, he asks for the first shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads