• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] Trouble in Moonwatch (Judge: THB) - Part II

renau1g

Villager

Kalidrev

Villager
Kortauhk wakes up, feeling much better than when he was roped and chained in a tent! Attaching all of his gear to his belt and strapping on his backpack, he looks to the sky. Not seeing a storm overhead or moving away from the group, this convinces Kortauhk that he should be traveling with them.

Walking over to Valahad and Sheeva, he takes a look at the map over Sheeva's shoulder.

"What that? It show where Kortauhk and peoples go?"
 

Velmont

Villager
River was silent and thinking, following the group.

During the last war, he had been healing people in camps, people who had fought to defend their nation, their right or simply the ambition of their leaders. They were obeying order and were suffering or getting killed for it. To River, the reason was so big and so out of his control that traveling from camp to camp to heal the soldier seemed something wise to do. When he needed to enter a combat field, he had the chance to be assigned to heal the defenders of the territory, it was part of the agreement he had passed with the halflings of Jorasco. And even if he had a weapon and he had taken part of the combat, nothing would have changed, or except maybe he would have died and he would have not save any further life.

After the war, it was even simpler. He had only to heal the wounds left by the war. Some times, he had to heals member of authorities, or rarely some caught criminals. His role was simple, he was needed, and never the need to fight arise.

Now that he decided to take a more active role, now he was following that group of adventurer, his conviction was shaken. Because of his wish of preserving life, he had seen Lanharath almost get killed against the doppelganger. Lanharath had also pointed him the weakness of his conviction. He had always believed that his gift was given by Arawai because of his conviction, but he had also seen some followers of Arawai raise a weapon in the name of the defense of life or of the nature.

Something was telling him that it was now just a question of time before he was put in front of the choice of killing or letting kill and that idea was scaring River.

Lanharath, you were wise enough to see the weakness in my faith. Arawai, preserve me from doing a costly mistake. thought River.
 

Kalidrev

Villager
[sblock=Velmot] *gives applause* Very nice post! Are you switching out your pacifist healer stuff? I sure hope not, pacifist healers ROCK! Of course, they keep nerfing things, so I wouldn't blame you if you did, but either way, that was a very nice piece of writing :) [/sblock]
 

EvolutionKB

Villager
Valahad sits near the fire, polishing his blade and the plates of his armor while everybody awakens. Looking at his reflection in the weapon, he sharpens it's edge. He'd gotten quite good with it, and hopefully it would start to pay off. His thoughts drifted to Lanharath and what really happened to his friend. Hopefully he would be fine, whereever he was.

Once finished, the kalashtar pulled out the map, and they plan the best path to continue on.

[sblock=Stats]
Valahad
Passive Perception: 17 Passive Insight: 28
HP: 63/63 Surge: 11/11(15)
AC: 24 F: 16 R: 17 W: 19
AP: 1
Valorous Strike
Enfeebling Strike
Ardent Strike****
Valorous Smite
Righteous Smite
Oath of Enmity
Divine Mettle
Bastion of Mental Clarity
Call of Challenge
Acidic Longsword
Majestic Halo
Name of Might
Wrath of the Gods
Dwarven Plate
Acidic Longsword
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]I picked up Weapon focus heavy blades and took the Wrath of the Gods as my utility. It's a daily that gives myself and allies in a close burst 1 a +4 bonus on damage for the encounter.[/sblock]
 

Velmont

Villager
[SBLOCK=OOC]Not now, I even go deeper into Pacifist by taking Pacifist's Reward feat at level 6, an answer of Arawai to River. But he might start to use Sacred Flame at some point during this adventure if the need arise.[/SBLOCK]
 

renau1g

Villager
The map reveals a path that would allow the party to travel through the Watching Wood and through the Vile Marsh, to avoid the Drooam forts of Tzaryan Keep and Karthoon Tor. It looks like it would take roughly a week to a ten days to pass through the Marsh.

[sblock=History DC 18]
You recall that the Vile Marsh is not a place that is regularly patrolled by either the Drooam or Shadow Marches governments, or at least what passes for their governments. [/sblock]
 

KarinsDad

Villager
"Vile Marsh? More like Vile Hair after I walk through there. Nobody in the Watching Wood would want to watch me after walking through the Vile Marsh." Sheeva quips.
 

Kalidrev

Villager
Kortauhk frowns.

"Vile Marsh have storm and rain? Kortauhk like open place where storm come show Kortauhk where Kortauhk need go."
 

EvolutionKB

Villager
Speaking in the minds of the group, "Avoiding the civilized of this place seems a good idea." Turning to the goliath he speaks in his mind. "The marsh should be filled with water, so it's got to rain there all the time."
 

Kalidrev

Villager
Kortauhk stupidly wags his head at Valahad in the affirmative, but then stops to think about it and gets confused.

"But... Kortauhk remember spot in mountain what got...um... river, yeah, that it, river! And river go to dead spot at bottom of mountain. No rain, but lots water. Marsh no like this?"
 

KarinsDad

Villager
"Lead on Val." Sheeva says as she grabs her pack. "The sooner we get through with this trek, the sooner I can find a place to take a bath."

"Ughh. Ten days without a bath and mucking through a swamp as well. These cultists better hope to not meet me on day five. I'll melt them where they stand. I cannot believe that we're going through the armpit of the world just to stop these idiots."
 

EvolutionKB

Villager
Kortauhk stupidly wags his head at Valahad in the affirmative, but then stops to think about it and gets confused.

"But... Kortauhk remember spot in mountain what got...um... river, yeah, that it, river! And river go to dead spot at bottom of mountain. No rain, but lots water. Marsh no like this?"
Slapping the goliath on the shoulder, the paladin speaks in his mind. "Even if I am wrong, our enemies lurk there. Like the enemies that we just fought. Your own Storm is the only one we need. Lightning and Thunder from your battlelust will lead us to where we need to go!"

"Let's go. I'll take the lead, Kortauhk, take the back as you are faster than I."
 

CaBaNa

Villager
Sleeping fitfully in his tree-top perch, Pok snuffles and begins to roll over and get more comfortable. Two branches later, and a small cut on his left cheek, Pok is wide awake. WAH! shouts the d'Sivis gnome almost causing himself a great deal of pain.

Small hands rub the sleep from wide eyes, and the little wizard sits next to the tree he had slept in.

While the party decides their course of action, he again reviews the spells he'd been working on the night before. Tweaking old spells, and attempting to make new results by combining old techniques. Widening his spells or focusing them to greater effect, Pok memorized the spells he'd be testing today, and joined the group.

[sblock=OOC]

Ok so I finished leveling Pok, except I haven't updated his sheet yet...

Soon.

But for now this is the pertinent info, Horrid Whispers, Phantasmal AssailantVisions of Avarice, and spectral image are all memorized.

-Phantom Chasm, Grasp of the GravePhantasmal Assailant, and Moonstride are on deck.

Thanks for the heads up r1.
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kalidrev

Villager
Kortauhk grins at the compliment and vigorously shakes his head in a "yes". Moving to the back of the pack, the goliath keeps an eye out for any more of the "bad doggies" or weird shoulder-tentacle bad guys. Hearing Sheeva complain about the smell of the mire that awaited them, Kortauhk does his best to console her.

"Pretty girl no want smell bad? Kortauhk no think pretty girl smell bad when go through marsh," he says with sincerity, but it's obvious that it would fall on deaf ears.


 

KarinsDad

Villager
but it's obvious that it would fall on deaf ears.
[sblock=OOC]
Obvious? To whom? Guess I won't bother to roleplay a response since that decision was made for me with this comment. Maybe you should have stopped at the word 'sincerity'. ;)
[/sblock]

Ignoring Kortauhk since Sheeva wasn't talking about her smell at all and it doesn't seem worth it to try to explain the difference, Sheeva moves her horse to the middle of the group.

"Come on Pok. Daylight's burning."
 

renau1g

Villager
The group makes good time through the rest of Drooam, there is nothing that threatens you or even all that interesting. You reach the Blackwater River and the border of the Shadow Marches, the land having become softer as you got closer here. The map guides you to a small, rickety looking crossing, but the wooden structure holds up to any probes. Passing over the dark water, you touch down on the spongy surface, which gradually slopes downwards, leading into calf-deep water for as far as the eye can see ahead of you, Cypress trees protruding from the water, which at many places has a layer of duckweed on the surface, the green plants hiding the water from view. Almost immediately upon entering the swamp you are set upon by deer flies, their knife-like mandibles pierce your skin and the painful bites bleed.

The map has a path that appears to do its best to stick to solid ground, although it appears to be impossible in the current situation. As you move along the marsh, you see the remains of a great beast approximately 50' in the water, large bones sticking out of the water.

[sblock=Trees]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arcana DC 20]
The bones appear to be from a dragon[/sblock]

[sblock=Perception DC 19]
There looks like a large shape lurking under the water, just to the south of land you're on.

[sblock=Perception DC21]
You think you see a mound of debris move on the island to the northeast

[sblock=Perception DC25]
You see many small insects gathering along the trees of the central island, mandibles clicking together[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top