DDAL Adventurers League seeks your input, even if you do not play AL.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I got very few questions. Probably because I have played AL all of twice, during 4e, and never DMed it. I hope they get something valuable our of my answers 🤷‍♀️

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
True confessions: I have not DM'ed in AL due to lack of foresight (allocating prep time into convention schedule) ... and cowardice.

I would like the early-season 'build a new character' rules posted publicly as a model for other, FLGS-based, campaigns.
Back when I was running AL games the shop usually told new players to show up like a half hour or so early to make a new character and/or make sure their new character was ok if they made it at home. The shop may have had (much) more room than average with about 6-8 GMs each running a table with more tables to spare than used as they rented out the shop next door after it closed & filled it with tables for the TCG nights. Between all the TCGs AL had a night, the PF thing (PFS?) had a night, one night when they got deliveries in was usually pretty dead (like a tuesday or thurs iirc) & was open whatever night with a lot of tables set aside for the staff to sort stuff on. Everyone was pretty friendly & didn't really care if a group was playing the wrong game on a given night unless you wanted to do it during mtg night pokemon... saturday afternoon(?)... etc.

edit: just find a place that runs AL & talk to the GMs expressing interest in GMing an AL table

Vael

Legend
I DMed a lot during 4e Organized Play because I got to keep the adventure material. I have a bunch of battle maps, tokens and adventure booklets. I have only tried 5e AL play at a few conventions.

darjr

I crit!
I DMed a lot during 4e Organized Play because I got to keep the adventure material. I have a bunch of battle maps, tokens and adventure booklets. I have only tried 5e AL play at a few conventions.
Oh yea those were the days! So many unique paints and tiles!

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Took the survey. Never played in Adventure’s League, although I have looked through some of the modules written for it.

As for the settings: Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Dragonlance, and Mystara.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I have played in AL games, and have run AL adventures (but in the latter case not as AL games). I DM professionally and the main reason I don’t run AL is that I don’t encounter demand for it. It would be a case of me having to introduce it to players, many of whom are completely new or new to 5E, and having to explain an additional set of rules and restrictions that in some cases contradict what DNDBEYOND is telling them (DNDBEYOND, the main tool we use for character building and campaign management, has no AL integration).

I wonder if this is partly regional? In the NYC area, D&D is extremely popular but there are very few game stores and the ones we have don’t seem to use AL. Also, the NYC area has no large conventions. But there seem to be places where AL is a big deal?

aco175

Legend
I played at the local convention the last few years with some play in the home game the week before. Each season tends to have some intro adventures that are 1-hour in length and we would play 3-4 of them to get the flavor before showing up at the convention. Nobody really questioned the characters or anything, since it is hard to cheat with them or with them at 2nd level there is not much.

I did DM at the convention in a fill-in session where there were not enough DMs for the slot and there were extra players wanting to play. We found a spare room and we played through one I brought. It was fine, or better than not playing D&D which some of the other players thanked me and another DM for.

Have not really played any AL stuff above 5-6th level. It is just at the convention with new PCs each year. I think I would like to see some games like old times where PCs were provided and you run through that way.

Remove ads