DDAL Adventurers League seeks your input, even if you do not play AL.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Playing Eberron Oracle of War AL series with my 'home' group right now on Shard VTT, having a blast really well done! We're on Part 6, Part 14 was just release on Dmsguild and it is scheduled for a total of 20. New adventures usually come out first Tuesday of every month but sometimes delayed a week (well this month anyway).

Adventures really capture the vibe of Eberron, some memorable sessions so far. The more straight forward nature of AL modules suit my group well.

Did survey - Oohh classic settings..!
every week I usually have my players spend a couple minutes doing a recap of the last session to jog their memories & then give something* to the person they decide had the best recap. I forget which of them had the sharn chicken plot they were recapping, but one player stood up, held his hands out flailing a bit, & sorta mock yelled "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa crash aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ohcrapaaaaaaaaaaaaa ohhhh nooooo featherfall we win!" putting everyone in stitches" :D

*inspiration, a buff, a single use trinket, whatever

Stormonu

Legend
I’ve tried RPGA and the Pathfinder version years ago and was rather unimpressed with the whole thing. I don’t know if the FLGS has an AL group, but because of Covid, there hasn’t been any in-store gaming to even check. Don’t feel like I’m missing anything, but I’d hate for it to influence the direction of what they put out for us home groups.

pogre

Legend
I ran a lot of AL for Cons in the past. I am not against doing it again, but some of the latest season's rules seemed silly to me. I really like the concept of organized play. It's a great way to get a few games in at a Con and check out possible new players for your home game.

I'm a fan of the number of adventures they've put out. Some are awful, but there's some that are very good. The reviews on DM's Guild have steered me well. They're basically what Dungeon has turned into. I wish they had more notes for non-AL play (like treasure placement), since that seems like a super easy way for WotC to add value to the adventures. I'm a little surprised there's never been a "best of AL" collection after 10 seasons.

In the end, I think the idea behind highly portable PCs is a flawed one. It's so easy to create a new PC to play at a new table and use the Basic Item rules to give out minimum magic items that I don't really think portability is that valuable as a focus for play. I'm sure there's a small handful of players who travel a lot... but that's kind of what VTTs are for.

Then again, I've never been the type of player who cared about competitive TTRPG gaming and don't really see any benefit to organized league play unless it's a Mega West Marches style game with 5 DMs, 40-50 players, and 100+ PCs.

I mostly like AL because I get to actually be a player for a change. But I did run a regular AL game for a while, before we decided to ditch the AL rules. This was when they introduced the ACP and TCP rules. While everyone loved the ACP, the arcane treasure rules like unlocking was not so popular.

One of the things I appreciate quite a bit is AL's attention to soliciting feedback. Of all the organized play groups I've been in, they're the ones that most consistently look for input, whether on the whole system or just each session.

Vael

Legend
Admittedly, what's really kept me out of AL play is simple lack of availability. Even though LGSs in my area do run regular DnD events, they aren't AL. I've only seen local AL events at Conventions.

So, this does bias me, but I do agree with @Bacon Bits that trying to have rules and tracking to allow portable PCs is a lot of squeeze for little juice. I'd sooner have more rigorous character gen rules (especially given Tasha's custom lineages) with a sort of "wealth-by-level" system so that I can make a character for any tier/level of play so I can sit down at a table and play a PC of the expected level that won't throw off the DM by much.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I took the survey and I've been DMing AL for the last few of years at a local convention (including online at the virtual convention in 2020). The adventures are not always stellar, but the groups are almost always fun.

guachi

Hero
I saw this survey as a windmill tilting exercise to get new settings for Adventurer's League. I chose Dark Sun and Mystara.

My major issue playing and especially DMing was the constantly changing players that would show up. It's a great intro for the game for players, though, who can't otherwise find a table to play at.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My major issue playing and especially DMing was the constantly changing players that would show up. It's a great intro for the game for players, though, who can't otherwise find a table to play at.
I know a lot of people have been playing home versions of DDAL and have since earlier living campaigns like Living Greyhawk and probably Living City, but conventions and other open events is where organized play can really shine by giving people a chance to try the game out or play when they don't have a regular group.

Remove ads