D&D 5E Adventures in Elsir Vale (pre-Red Hand of Doom)

Aldarc

Legend
Lost Mines of Phandelver (starter box) would be easy to drop into the Elsir Vale or just outside of it. That's what I am planning on doing. That would get characters to level 5. Then throw in something to transition from LMoP to RHoD and get the characters another level and you're good.
This seems like a good idea. The Goblins could be seeded to foreshadow the Hobgoblins. Are the goblins advanced scouts? Fleeing the advance of the hobgoblins?

pukunui

Legend
I wonder if anyone has ever tried running Red Hand of Doom from the hobgoblins' perspective - that is, the PCs are all working for the Red Hand and helping them to conquer the vale. You could run all the same missions but from the other perspective: the PCs would be helping to defend places like Vraath Keep and the Ruins of Rhest and attacking Drellin's Ferry and Brindol and the like.

Thoughts?

hedgeknight

Explorer
Just catching up on this thread because I too am considering revisiting Elsir Vale and the RHoD adventure...which is one of my favorites to run. It just keeps calling me back ;)
pukunui, I love your expanded ideas for the cities/towns of the Vale and my brain is churning about how to do that for my own future game. Where are you on this?

pukunui

Legend
Just catching up on this thread because I too am considering revisiting Elsir Vale and the RHoD adventure...which is one of my favorites to run. It just keeps calling me back ;)
pukunui, I love your expanded ideas for the cities/towns of the Vale and my brain is churning about how to do that for my own future game. Where are you on this?
Just a bit of an update that I am now considering using Eberron rather than a homebrew setting. I like the look of the Eldeen Reaches. Because some of my players have played RHoD before, I'm therefore also considering swapping out the hobgoblins and Tiamat and replacing them with fiends and such from the Demon Wastes.

Very early stages still. Lots of research to do. But I think it could potentially work.

hedgeknight

Explorer
I've tabled it for now. Just beginning two new campaigns; a 1st edition game in the Realms (the way they should be), and a 2nd edition game in Post-Wars Greyhawk. Along with my 5e game in Baldur's Gate, I will be strapped to manage these three, much less give RHoD its due diligence. Good luck and keep me posted. I know little of nothing about Eberron.

Remove ads