D&D 5E Adventures in Middle Earth magic - does it work?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Sounds like its a good ruleset if the main issue with it is managing player expectations.

Also, thanks.

Thanks to [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION] for the comments. I'll have to read the AiME books, and see how I feel... see whether I think low-magic can be done in 5e at all. High magic certainly does seem baked in by default, and that may be quite difficult to overcome for people who want "D&D". If it is as much about expectations as anything else, perhaps that is manageable. Otherwise, perhaps I'll look into TOR. I've learned from experience with Cypher System that getting a group into a whole new ruleset can be a lot more work than I may want to deal with, so I'd prefer 5e AiME if possible.

To sum up. I think if you want the granularity of 5e Combat without the 5e spellcasting system I think AiME in general is a good example of how to do it.

dave2008

Legend
Turns out D&D with a lot of the magic stripped out doesn’t work too well, at least in our experience.

Magic or spells? It seems to me there is a lot of magic in LotR, just not a lot of spells.

I have run D&D games where we had no magic users and it seemed to work completely normally. But we've always had some magic.

I never really thought about it, but I have always, unintentionally, run low magic campaigns as my players tend to go for martial characters or at most a multi-class martial/magic. I haven't had a full caster in my group since 1991! Maybe that is why I never really encountered the linear fighter / quadratic wizard problem

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Magic or spells? It seems to me there is a lot of magic in LotR, just not a lot of spells.

I have run D&D games where we had no magic users and it seemed to work completely normally. But we've always had some magic.

I never really thought about it, but I have always, unintentionally, run low magic campaigns as my players tend to go for martial characters or at most a multi-class martial/magic. I haven't had a full caster in my group since 1991! Maybe that is why I never really encountered the linear fighter / quadratic wizard problem

I love me some non spellcasting options. I'd love to something like Iron Heroes for 5e.

I have a thread just a bit down the page where I am trying to build a world around the classes from this book. So I am not running in middle earth, but in a world based on a mix of it and the game of thrones world with a bit of he man and she ra worlds thrown in... I call it "powerful but rare magic" that is pretty much martial... I will take a few months to work on it, but maybe I should keep posting how it is going...

Remove ads