D&D 5E Adventures in Middle Earth magic - does it work?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm vaguely considering a 5E AiME campaign after finishing Curse of Strahd. I love the feel of Tolkien and I and my group love the 5E rules.

My niggling concern is the 5E magic system and assumptions and the very different feel of Tolkien magic. I recognise that some compromise has to be made if one isn't to use the One Ring rule system instead, but for those who have played it - how does it work out? Does it fit OK?

There isn't magic per se, at all. It's advised to use the AIME classes and races rather than the PHB ones and there is essentially little to none bar healing.

From what I can gather it loses the ME feel by using normal magic rules.

A judicious use of minor magic such as light and prestidigitation might work.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There isn't magic per se, at all. It's advised to use the AIME classes and races rather than the PHB ones and there is essentially little to none....
Makes sense, considering the source material. There was very little personal magic use in LotR, even Gandalf didn't use much, and he was a Maiar and the greatest (alongside Saruman) of the very few Wizards in Middle Earth. If Gandalf displayed magic a 5th level 1e Magic-user could match, how would poor Ratagast look compared to almost any 5e D&D caster?

.... bar healing.
Except for that. There wasn't exactly a lot of magical healing in LotR, at least not overt instant-healing of wounds by obvious magic - athelas & miruvor were about it (is that what AIME uses, or are there classes with Cure Wounds or Lay on Hands or the like?). D&D combat depends on a fair amount of healing, but D&D (outside of 4e with Warlords, Surges, 5 min short rests, and Second Wind for everyone) has never provided adequate non-magical sources of healing to support that system outside a fairly high-magic setting.

Makes sense, considering the source material. There was very little personal magic use in LotR, even Gandalf didn't use much, and he was a Maiar and the greatest (alongside Saruman) of the very few Wizards in Middle Earth. If Gandalf displayed magic a 5th level 1e Magic-user could match, how would poor Ratagast look compared to almost any 5e D&D caster?

Except for that. There wasn't exactly a lot of magical healing in LotR, at least not overt instant-healing of wounds by obvious magic - athelas & miruvor were about it (is that what AIME uses, or are there classes with Cure Wounds or Lay on Hands or the like?). D&D combat depends on a fair amount of healing, but D&D (outside of 4e with Warlords, Surges, 5 min short rests, and Second Wind for everyone) has never provided adequate non-magical sources of healing to support that system outside a fairly high-magic setting.
The Scholar is a clericy/magey class depending which route you choose and can heal - also various healing songs available.

vilainn6

Explorer
I'm vaguely considering a 5E AiME campaign after finishing Curse of Strahd. I love the feel of Tolkien and I and my group love the 5E rules.

My niggling concern is the 5E magic system and assumptions and the very different feel of Tolkien magic. I recognise that some compromise has to be made if one isn't to use the One Ring rule system instead, but for those who have played it - how does it work out? Does it fit OK?

AiME is The One Ring with a d20 and class level. If you like The One Ring, you will like AIME. If in the contrary, you dont like it, I am not sure AIME is enought different to please you.

There is no vanciant magic in AIME. Characters have sometime class abilities (like the shcolar lay of hand ability) or feats (dwarven broken spells) that look magical but that all.

Stan Shinn said:
TLDR version: I love Adventures in Middle-earth but it does require a different approach to structuring game sessions and play. Very satisfying though!

I read your articles and you are pratically telling us why The One Ring is a great rpg. I see nothing that give more incentitive to play AiME over it.

Stan Shinn

Explorer
I have the One Ring; never found players willing to learn a completely new set of mechanics. Now that I'm using AiME, it's been easy to get players. Nothing against TOR, its just that new systems are often an inhibitor to adoption.

vilainn6

Explorer
I have the One Ring; never found players willing to learn a completely new set of mechanics. Now that I'm using AiME, it's been easy to get players. Nothing against TOR, its just that new systems are often an inhibitor to adoption.

Yes I know. Players can be so lazy sometimes. I just wanted to point out that you are not liking AIME because it is a good game, you like it because it is the copy of a good game. It could have been worth mentionning it in your last article, just for the sake of new players.

Remove ads