D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Vecna screams blue/black to me. Secret, forbidden knowledge is like Dimir’s entire Thing. Mordenkainen I would expect to have an enemy color combination - probably UR or BW. Elminster, yeah, white, with maybe red and/or blue.
Mordekainen feels W or BW -with so much emphasis on order and doing the lawful thing over the good thing...-. Being a D&D wizard, he qualifies as U, but again, all D&D wizards qualify as U. I don't see him as Red at all. Elmister definitely will have some White.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, found some numbers that seem legit. There is a Mythic card in 1 of 8 Draft boosters, or 12.5%. The marketing info for the draft booster where indicates that there will be a foil Mythic Planeswalker in "less than 1%" of draft boosters. Assuming about 15 Mythic Rare cards in the set (since there are no MDFCs per Rosewater), that means there are about 1 or 2 Mythic Planeswalker cards in the set, in line with Strixhaven or Kaldheim, unless they are doing something really weird.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Assuming about 53 Mythic Rare cards in the set (since there are no MDFCs per Rosewater), that means there are about 4 or 5 Mythic Planeswalker cards in the set, in line with Strixhaven or Kaldheim.
Where are you getting the 53 from? Sets normally have about 15-16 mythics, even Strixhaven with its big size has 22 (plus 15 if we take into account the mystical archive) though 4-5 is the typical amount of planeswalkers

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where are you getting the 53 from? Sets normally have about 15-16 mythics, even Strixhaven with its big size has 22 (plus 15 if we take into account the mystical archive) though 4-5 is the typical amount of planeswalkers
Well, that would be me misreading a chart, my bad. Edited now. So only a couple Mythic Planeswalkers, unless they are doing something off the wall (which WotC has been doing odd things with modern card sorting technology, to be fair).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Mordekainen feels W or BW -with so much emphasis on order and doing the lawful thing over the good thing...-. Being a D&D wizard, he qualifies as U, but again, all D&D wizards qualify as U. I don't see him as Red at all. Elmister definitely will have some White.
It really depends on the portrayal of Elminster. The good-alignment chosen of Mystra, friend of the Harper, protector of the Dales would indeed definitely be White/something,

yet, if you go with the cunning wizard and roguish adventurer, the thrill seeker wizard with the scandalous attitude, the playboy loremaster, I'd go with something Blue-Red.

If we go with 3 colors alignment, I would definetly go with White-Blue-Red.

How many planeswalkers are typically in a new set? I think Strixhaven only had four (Prof Onyx, Kasmina, Rowan and Will).

Strixhaven had 5, Prof Onyx, Kasmina, Rowan, Will, and Lukka.

Its was Kaldheim that 4 Planeswalkers, Niko, Tibalt, Kaya, Tyver Kell.

Normally its 3 Planeswalkers per set, 5 for Core Sets, so its likely 3 to 5 Planeswalkers unless they do some thing weird and have lower rarity planeswalkers ala War of the Spark.

Rikka66

Adventurer

In all practical measures Will and Rowan being on one card counts as one planeswalker for the set, I imagine. As far as the developers deciding how many they could fit.

Not to disagree with your main point, 3-5 is the most likely range.

MoonSong

Normally its 3 Planeswalkers per set, 5 for Core Sets, so its likely 3 to 5 Planeswalkers unless they do some thing weird and have lower rarity planeswalkers ala War of the Spark.

Rowan and Will are two sides of the same card, so no, for the purposes of collecting there are four planeswalkers in Strixhaven. And core sets typically have ten planeswalkers -thanks to planeswalker decks that are part of the set-, M21 had eleven. Typical sets have 3 planeswalkers, but again Strixhaven and Kaldheim had 4. I think we could expect six or so, since this being a core set, we should expect five and maybe a couple more (1 per each color and a dew multicolor ones).

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend

The recent trend with core sets has been a cycle of 5 mythic monocolor planeswalkers, plus 5 "planeswalker deck" versions of same, plus 0-2 oddball extras (the transforming Nicol Bolas in M19, or the uncommon and rare versions of Chandra in M20).

Since FR is taking the place of a core set, I would expect this pattern to hold for FR as well.

Remove ads