D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Vael

Legend
That's no help!! Mordenkainen, Elminster, Dalamar and the Simbul are all cool. LOL
Well, I wouldn't put money on Dalamar, as he's more a Dragonlance character, yes? (TBH, this is the first I've heard of him)

If I were to guess, of the four I'd expect Mordenkainen to get a card. He's probably getting a spell or two in the set with his name anyway, I think he'll take the blue planeswalker slot.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, I wouldn't put money on Dalamar, as he's more a Dragonlance character, yes? (TBH, this is the first I've heard of him)

If I were to guess, of the four I'd expect Mordenkainen to get a card. He's probably getting a spell or two in the set with his name anyway, I think he'll take the blue planeswalker slot.
I agree that Dalamar is at the bottom of that list. He is cool, though. :p

I really hope that more than one of them get cards, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Mordenkainen.

Apparently the criteria for choosing Planeswalkers in this Set is "has the character traveled through the various Planes of the D&D multiverse?"

(1/4) We'll talk about this more during the full Adventures in the Forgotten Realm preview season, but some iconic D&D characters are being featured as Planeswalker cards in #MTGDND! What does that mean? Let's walk through it a bit... (1/3)

12:36 PM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Retweets

Magic: The Gathering

@wizards_magic

·
1h

Replying to
@wizards_magic
(2/4) To get it out of the way: This doesn't mean that these characters (like our one true queen Lolth) have a Planeswalker Spark. You won't be seeing Lolth traveling to Strixhaven to hang out with Witherbloom students any time soon.

Magic: The Gathering

@wizards_magic

·
1h

(3/4) For now, we still see the Forgotten Realms and the Magic Multiverse as separate entities, which we mentioned earlier this year:

Magic's Voyages to Universes Beyond
magic.wizards.com

https://mobile.twitter.com/wizards_magic

Well, it looks like who gets to be a planeswalker is more "Rule of Cool" than anything else:

Relevant quotes:

So, iow, don't get too attached to lore reasons why Character X is a planeswalker vs a creature.

This is probably how they plan on handling Planeswalker in Universes Beyond, no lore connection whose a Planeswalker in those sets.

I don't think we know how many planeswalkers there will be in the set, do we? Anyway, my money would be on Mordenkainen, Elminster, and Vi, in that order of likelihood.

Of these, only Elminster is a shoo-in to appear in the set—but not necessarily as a planeswalker. Mordenkainen is a shoo-in to be a planeswalker if he's in the set at all; I think he will be, but there's a chance they don't want to put characters in this set who are primarily associated with a non-FR setting (which would exclude Vi, too).

Remove ads