D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Divorcing the lore from the mechanics a bit, Planeswalker as a card type might work to represent the high level figures in LotR like Saurman, Galadriel, Sauron, or Gandalf.
Maybe, but I think if they're doing that they're missing out on making an Istari and Noldor groups of cards. Maybe they'll go with some of the Valar or other Maia like Eonwe and Osse.

Vael

Legend
I don't think we know how many planeswalkers there will be in the set, do we? Anyway, my money would be on Mordenkainen, Elminster, and Vi, in that order of likelihood.

Of these, only Elminster is a shoo-in to appear in the set—but not necessarily as a planeswalker. Mordenkainen is a shoo-in to be a planeswalker if he's in the set at all; I think he will be, but there's a chance they don't want to put characters in this set who are primarily associated with a non-FR setting (which would exclude Vi, too).

Unknown, outside of War of the Spark, a set that was all about planeswalkers, sets tend to have between 3-5. This set is in the place of a Core set, which for the past few years has had 1 planeswalker per color plus a few more for thematic reasons (Core 19 had Nicol Bolas, Core 20 had a vertical cycle of Chandras (1 Uncommon, 1 rare, 1 mythic), Core 21 had a reprint of Ugin). My guess is this set is similar, 1 per color with maybe something else.

I don't think we know how many planeswalkers there will be in the set, do we? Anyway, my money would be on Mordenkainen, Elminster, and Vi, in that order of likelihood.

Of these, only Elminster is a shoo-in to appear in the set—but not necessarily as a planeswalker. Mordenkainen is a shoo-in to be a planeswalker if he's in the set at all; I think he will be, but there's a chance they don't want to put characters in this set who are primarily associated with a non-FR setting (which would exclude Vi, too).

Honestly all bets are off as to who are what now that the rule of cool is the only criteria.

I will note that all the Mythics so far are Gods, even DRIZZT got bumped down to Rare! I wasn't expecting that, although I was right about him being White Green and I didn't realize Ranger was already a creature type as most MtG Rangers don't use it.

I wonder if all Mythics in AFR are Gods?

I finally watched the video and it contradicts the planeswalker MtG tweet. The tweet suggested the AFR planeswalker criteria is rule of cool, but in the video the head of MtG said it was their planeswalker had to have traveled between planes (which explains why trapped Tiamat is a creature instead of a Planeswalkers).

So which is it?

Maybe, but I think if they're doing that they're missing out on making an Istari and Noldor groups of cards. Maybe they'll go with some of the Valar or other Maia like Eonwe and Osse.
I doubt they can.

Most of the Valar aren't named in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings (not even in the appendices), and if an element in the legendarium is not named in those two books, WotC can't mention it unless they strike a separate license with the Tolkien Estate. Now, perhaps they will do so, but no game company has done so in more than twenty years—the last was Iron Crown Enterprises, which had a license from Saul Zaentz company for Hobbit/LotR and a limited license from the Estate.

(The biggest names WotC wouldn't be able to use without a separate license are Alatar and Pallando.)

I'll also mention that in the video Drizzt's CompanionS, as in plural are mentioned to be in AFR, so expect at mininium Cattie Brie, Wolfgur, and Regis. Heck the whole Uncommon Legendary Creature cycle could be characters from the Legend of Drizzt, freeing up space in rare for other major Forgotten Realms characters besides Drizzt himself, and Mythic Rare for some of FR's Gods (some M/R slots will obviously go to high level spells & artifacts like Gate, Wish, True Polymorph, Ring of Winter, the Karsestone).

Also they have already confirmed that some of the incredible AFR art is being reused for future D&D books.

Weiley31

Legend
I don't know if it got mentioned yet, but Lolth was revealed as a Planeswalker. (so THAT'S why she went Silent.......okay not really but I could still use that for my Drow Schism 5E lore for non evil drow.)

Weiley31

Legend
I finally watched the video and it contradicts the planeswalker MtG tweet. The tweet suggested the AFR planeswalker criteria is rule of cool, but in the video the head of MtG said it was their planeswalker had to have traveled between planes (which explains why trapped Tiamat is a creature instead of a Planeswalkers).

So which is it?
Naturally according to the plot and the DM's campaign, Both.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases