D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, pre-mending Nicol Bolas was essentially a god. Probably still less powerful than Lolth, but pretty much as close to all-powerful that you can get in MtG. The whole premise of Bolas post-Mending is to regain that power and become the sole, all-powerful Planeswalker (and he gets close).

Kind of disappointed we didn't get stats for Bolas in the Ravnica book.
That’s not unique to Bolas though. Every Planeswalker was practically god before the Mending.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Scribe

Legend
Depending on the format you go from wincon to ''to expensive". 5 cmc gets you 2 critters, and if the deck supports it, a way to recharge the loyalty.

Far from busted without shenanigans already part of the deck I would say.

Dausuul

Legend
I suspect he will be reerrata'd back to a Ranger, but keep human.

It does make me wonder what other new creature types will be added in this set. Mindflayer, Tieflings, Aasimar, Yugoloths maybe?
I would expect mind flayers to be creature type Horror.

Tieflings and aasimar seem like good candidates for the "mash-up" creature types Simic* is so fond of--putting two "race" types on the same card. Tieflings would be Human Demons, and aasimar would be Human Angels.

Yugoloths are an interesting question. I can't see them adding a whole new creature type just for yugoloths, but classifying them as Demons (which is what they really should be in the M:tG lexicon) would seem super weird to anyone familiar with Planescape lore. I guess I would bet on one of two things:
  • Yugoloths are printed with creature type Nightmare, or
  • They just don't print any yugoloths.
*The Ravnica guild, not just the blue/green color pair.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would expect mind flayers to be creature type Horror.

Tieflings and aasimar seem like good candidates for the "mash-up" creature types Simic* is so fond of--putting two "race" types on the same card. Tieflings would be Human Demons, and aasimar would be Human Angels.

Yugoloths are an interesting question. I can't see them adding a whole new creature type just for yugoloths, but classifying them as Demons (which is what they really should be in the M:tG lexicon) would seem super weird to anyone familiar with Planescape lore. I guess I would bet on one of two things:
  • Yugoloths are printed with creature type Nightmare, or
  • They just don't print any yugoloths.
*The Ravnica guild, not just the blue/green color pair.
I thinknwe won't see any Yugoloths. Easy enough to avoid.

Dausuul

Legend
Depending on the format you go from wincon to ''to expensive". 5 cmc gets you 2 critters, and if the deck supports it, a way to recharge the loyalty.

Far from busted without shenanigans already part of the deck I would say.
Yeah, Lolth really really wants to go in an aristocrats deck. (For those not familiar with M:tG lingo, this is a deck whose MO is cranking out cheap creatures, then sacrificing them for fun and profit.)

Her basic use will be to turbocharge your sacrifice engine; as long as you can generate at least one sacrificial chump per turn from some other source, she can spawn two more without a net loss of loyalty. And if you already have plenty of chumps, her -8 enables you to turn a single chump into a heavy hitter.

Outside of an aristocrats deck, though, she's pretty weak.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t think the tweet was explaining what lore criteria was for which characters get to be Planeswalkers. It was clarifying that the characters who are getting Planeswalker cards are not considered to have a Planeswalker spark and will not be traveling to any of the canon M:tG planes. Planeswalker cards are just cool and a part of magic, so they didn’t want the set to not have any.
Yeah. When you literally have dozens and dozens of candidates who can travel the planes, narrowing that down by "who's cool" is a good way to go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases