• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Advice (and Help) Needed for a High Level 5E One Shot

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
That's true with monster damage, too; I roll damage for boss monsters instead of taking the average. Way more fun for me.

Here's something you'll notice. Because environmental difficulty doesn't and shouldn't scale with level, your heroes will be really good at lots of things. That's a great thing! Let them run through forest fires and breeze through locked doors. It will make them feel awesome.

One thing that doesn't change between levels is politics and moral dilemmas. In my game right now, I have a NPC who stole the throne illegally, and the PCs have orders to remove her. She's a much better leader than the old guy. Her reign is being destabilized by starvation, so if the PCs do nothing she'll probably be toppled, but millions of people will die as a result -- so the PCs are taking steps to stop the starvation, even though it legitimizes the illegal ruler. And of course, they can't just kill her without putting someone else on the throne, or the entire country becomes unstable and starvation gets worse.

You get the idea. Set up difficult choices that can't be solved by stabbing, whether the heroes are 1st or 20th level, and you'll add some fun depth to the game. Solving these with high-level divinations is really fun.

Oh! That's a good point. Encourage divination, don't nerf it. The fun part happens as they try to tie clues together.

Astrosicebear

First Post
An evil or manipulative diplomat or king or queen with a few high powered supporters is much, much more evil than a random BBEG, dragon or what have you.

Tharian

First Post
Hey guys. Sorry for not being able to circle back around to this thread before today. We've been busy at work trying to get a new version out the door so there have been some long hours in the office and a home on the work machine.

Thanks for the pointers on the HPs for the monsters. That's definitely one I hadn't thought of before now. I'll have to visit that one.

I'll have to read the rest in more detail later.. First, some sleep.

Antz7766

First Post
Shatter and Dissonant Whisper are both wonderfully effective, low level area effect spells. Dissonant Whispers was used last session by a 3rd level caster to do 225(=18x11 +3x9 HP) in one action...

Did I miss something in the rules? I thought dissonant whisper only affect one target? Even while using a higher lvl spell slot to cast, it just does more damage, not affect more targets? Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something in the rules here?

toasterferret

Explorer
I like to challenge parties by throwing a mix of creature roles at them. A few ranged guys and spellcasters, along with a few big gribblies and lots of little ones. It gives everyone a place to shine, and keeps combats from just being about alpha striking the big guy. Bounded accuracy in 5e just helps in this regard. 10 gribblies with spears backing up a big guy can be pretty scary now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads