Advice on Being a Good Player

reveal

Adventurer
There are many articles out there that tell GMs how to be good at what they do. Robin’s Laws of Good Game Mastering and the D&D 4th Edition Dungeon Masters Guide are two good examples. They give great advice on how GMs should engage players, maintain a controlled atmosphere, and, most of all, make sure that everyone has a good time at the table. Unfortunately, I have seen very few articles on how to be a good player. With that in mind, I’m writing this to give my advice to those wanting to help their group have fun while gaming.

Read more at http://rpgcentric.com/?p=11

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I would add that, if you can't be on time or can't make it to a game session, call ahead and let somebody know.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That's actually tip #1. ;)

I totally misread tip number one as "Be on time" ;) I know that there is a mention of calling ahead if you'll be more than ten minutes late, but as written, the tip still seems to assume that this will be a rare occurance and that people aren't missing the game session entirely.

I was trying to address that it's not always possible to be on time (or make a game session at all), provided that gaming isn't your #1 priority in life. So, yes, being on time is good -- but expecting everybody to be on time, all of the time or to never miss a game session is unrealistic.

In such instances, one should call ahead.

Hussar

Legend
Well said Reveal.

You can boil down being a good player to "Don't be an asshat."

Don't do anything at the table that would label you an asshat.

In other words, be respectful.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The players that could benefit from this advice will never read it, particularly the guys that check their email between turns.

"If you’re not having fun, then you will feel as if you’re wasting your time. If this is the case, you have to communicate your feelings to your fellow gamers. Tell them exactly why you are not having fun."

Every time this happens, a DM starts a thread complaining about his whining players. Do you want that on your conscience?

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
The players that could benefit from this advice will never read it, particularly the guys that check their email between turns.

"If you’re not having fun, then you will feel as if you’re wasting your time. If this is the case, you have to communicate your feelings to your fellow gamers. Tell them exactly why you are not having fun."

Every time this happens, a DM starts a thread complaining his about whining players. Do you want that on your conscience?
Anything that actually results in the DM and players talking to one another to come up with a way of making the game fun for everyone is what I want. That's why being able to communicate your wants from the game is so important.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Very nice list. I have one I would like to add though...

Be ready for your turn.

Your character has at best 6 seconds to think - don't take five minutes. Start thinking about what you are going to do in combat before the DM calls out that you are up. Yes, things can change (sometimes drastically) on the turn before you go, but that doesn't mean you can't decide that you are going to run up and attack the orc before you're up.

If you plan on using a spiffy new spell/ability that takes up a page and a half to describe the effects, have the book already open to the page and be ready to read off the important details (even if it's only a few lines have the book open anyway). Even if you as a player know it by heart the DM might want to verify something (with no insult to you intended). With the information right there at your fingertips it (usually) won't stall the game.

On a similar track of thought, if you don't have the stats for the creature right there - then don't summon it.

Usually there is more than enough time bewteen your actions to get ready for your next action; to check books and verify spell effects. If the battlefield has a major change just before you go the rest of the group will understand if you need a few seconds before you say anything. There is absolutely no reason to only start thinking about your action when the DM calls your name. Being ready can keep the game going and can easily keep the time a combat takes down. This will in turn help keep everyone paying attention and help the game run smoothly and be fun for everyone involved.

reveal

Adventurer
Very nice list. I have one I would like to add though...

Be ready for your turn.
Good point. I didn’t include this in this article because I wanted to try to stay away from actually playing your character and simply give an overall idea of how to contribute to everyone’s enjoyment. I may write a follow-up article in the future with tips on being a good player as it relates to running your character. :)

Remove ads