D&D General Advise for A Mates Harry Potter/Dnd Hybrid RPG in which Albus and Scorpius persuaded Delphini not to change history so that Voldemort wins

JMISBEST

Explorer
A mate of mine is running A Harry Potter/Dnd Hybrid RPG he made and he wants advise.

My mate didn't know that the people that play Albus and Scorpius have read The Cursed Child and they know who Delphini really is and who her parents were and what her plans are

The thing is that even though Delphini is the main and only villain of my mates custom made Harry Potter/Dnd Hybrid RPG the people that play Albus and Scorpius feel sorry for Delphini, as do Albus and Scorpius, after all she can't help who her parents were and she had a even worse childhood then Harry did

2 examples of that are that unlike The Dursleys Rowle has the ability to use things like Crucio, Imperio, The Leg Locker Curse, The Bat Bogey Hex and The Tickling Curse, and theirs no proof that unlike Dudley Harries uncle and aunt subjected him to any form of physical abuse, mental abuse, verbal abuse, emotional torment, emotional abuse, verbal torment, physical torture or mental torture, Delphini suffered all 8 once or twice a month per spell, sometimes once or twice per week per spell, from age 4 to age 17

So how should my mate handle a situation in his Harry Potter/Dnd Hybrid RPG were the people that play Albus and Scorpius feel sorry for Delphini and before the 3 of them even do their 1st trip back in time Albus and Scorpius have managed to talk Delphini out of her plan to change history so that Voldemort wins?

What's more Delphini has now done a deal with Albus and Scorpius, the deal is that in return for them going back to The Battle of Hogwarts and changing history so that the number of deaths on both sides is a lot lower then it was they will persuade the good guys to guarantee that the 5 week old version of her that was alive during the final battle has a good life

How will they do that when theirs a limit of 5 minutes in the past on the time turner?, simple, a mere freeze spell on The Time Turners magical components, after all with the things magical components frozen the parts that time 5 minutes in the past won't work

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Cursed Child is garbage, and cannot be canon regardless of what Joanne says, because it breaks the mechanics of time travel established in Prisoner of Azkaban. The book (and the film) establishes that time travel via time turner can’t change the past, because by the time you use the time turner, the “changes” you set out to make have already been made. This is evidenced by the fact that it was Harry who saved his past self and Sirius from the dementors. And in fact all of the trio’s actions in the past are actually foreshadowed in the book (and in the film) before they go back and perform them.

But even if you don’t accept that, it’s also impossible to go back in time nearly that long by time turner. Prisoner of Azkaban establishes that each turn of the time turner takes you back one hour (Dumbledkre recommends that three turns ought to do it, and they go back three hours). To go back in time a single year would take 8,760 turns. Assuming one turn per second, that’s just under about 2 and a half hours. To go back 13 years would take about 32 and a half hours of nonstop turning. Even if you grant that they could do that, they would be physically exhausted from sleep deprivation, badly dehydrated, and probably very hungry when they arrived.

JMISBEST

Explorer
The Cursed Child is garbage, and cannot be canon regardless of what Joanne says, because it breaks the mechanics of time travel established in Prisoner of Azkaban. The book (and the film) establishes that time travel via time turner can’t change the past, because by the time you use the time turner, the “changes” you set out to make have already been made. This is evidenced by the fact that it was Harry who saved his past self and Sirius from the dementors. And in fact all of the trio’s actions in the past are actually foreshadowed in the book (and in the film) before they go back and perform them.

But even if you don’t accept that, it’s also impossible to go back in time nearly that long by time turner. Prisoner of Azkaban establishes that each turn of the time turner takes you back one hour (Dumbledkre recommends that three turns ought to do it, and they go back three hours). To go back in time a single year would take 8,760 turns. Assuming one turn per second, that’s just under about 2 and a half hours. To go back 13 years would take about 32 and a half hours of nonstop turning. Even if you grant that they could do that, they would be physically exhausted from sleep deprivation, badly dehydrated, and probably very hungry when they arrived.
Thanks for the clarification but my mate has decided that The Time Turner in The Cursed Child is 1-of-a-kind and can be used to change the past

Now to what my mate wanted to know. What should he do about the fact that the players that play Albus and Scorpius actually feel sorry for and sympathize with Delphini and the 3 have made a deal?

The deal is that in return for Delphini helping Albus and Scorpius ensure that the number of deaths on both sides is a lot lower then it was in the original Battle of Hogwarts that Albus and Scorpius will persuade the good guys to guarantee that the 5 week old version of Delphini that was alive during the final battle has a good life

JMISBEST

Explorer
Then he opened the door. Don’t allow time travel that can change the past if you don’t want player characters using time travel to change the past. Sorry.
He's more bothered about the fact that he allowed them a 3-in-16(5 or less on 3D6) chance to persuade Delphini to try and come up with a better way of guaranteeing her past self a better life and his players somehow managed to do it by rolling A triple 1

I will admit that like a lot of GM's I know the mate of mine in question decided to allow this kind of possibility under the assumption it wouldn't happen

Their argument started by them pointing out that if she tried and failed to fail to guarantee her past self a better life without ensuring her father wins then only the few hundred people suffer because they re related to Death Eaters but if she does change it so that her father wins then a several billion will be dead or suffering because they are or were enemies of your father

They then finished their argument by asking Delphini "if you can't give your past self a better life without ensuring your father wins what would you rather have on your conscience?

Is it a world were your father lost and a few hundred people suffer because they're related to Death Eaters?

Or is it a world were your father won and several billion people are dead or suffering or worse, meaning they suffered The Dementors Kiss, because they are or were enemies of your father?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
He's more bothered about the fact that he allowed them a 3-in-16(5 or less on 3D6) chance to persuade Delphini to try and come up with a better way of guaranteeing her past self a better life and his players somehow managed to do it by rolling A triple 1

I will admit that like a lot of GM's I know the mate of mine in question decided to allow this kind of possibility under the assumption it wouldn't happen
This mate of yours really needs to learn to stop allowing the possibility of things he doesn’t actually want to happen. Seems like this keeps happening where your GMs have to deal with things they included on random tables because they never thought would actually happen. Fact of the matter is, if it’s on the table, it can happen. If you don’t want it to happen, don’t put it on the table. And if for some reason you made the mistake of including something on the table you didn’t want to happen, and it happens, you have to own up to it. Tell the players you messed up and never actually wanted this to happen, and retcon it.

JMISBEST

Explorer
This mate of yours really needs to learn to stop allowing the possibility of things he doesn’t actually want to happen. Seems like this keeps happening where your GMs have to deal with things they included on random tables because they never thought would actually happen. Fact of the matter is, if it’s on the table, it can happen. If you don’t want it to happen, don’t put it on the table. And if for some reason you made the mistake of including something on the table you didn’t want to happen, and it happens, you have to own up to it. Tell the players you messed up and never actually wanted this to happen, and retcon it.
I'll be honest I've told so many of them so many times and they've ignored my advise, but not me, so many times that I stopped trying almost 10 months ago

The main problem is that the 13, unlucky, GM's I know that do this sort of thing have known each other and having been doing it since Janurary 1,997 and the problems only started in April 2,019

That's why their assuming its just a very long phase of very bad luck their going through, plus the others have now known each other for 25 years but they've only known me for 19 months, so their assuming that they known better

Now back to the question in hand. What should my mate do?, he was thinking of making sure it happens by having Rodolfus Lestrange break out of Azkaban and putting Delphini under Imperio

Last edited:

I'll be honest I've told so many of them so many times and they've ignored my advise, but not me, so many times that I stopped trying almost 10 months ago

The main problem is that the 13, unlucky, GM's I know that do this sort of thing have known each other and having been doing it since Janurary 1,997 and the problems only started in April 2,019

That's why their assuming its just a very long phase of very bad luck their going through, plus the others have now known each other for 25 years but they've only known me for 19 months, so their assuming that they known better

Now back to the question in hand. What should my mate do?, he was thinking of making sure it happens by having Rodolfus Lestrange break out of Azkaban and putting Delphini under Imperio
Have them roll a bunch of d6's and say "Gosh, the table in my head says this happens when I roll a 5, 4, red, and pocket lint", then do whatever they wanted to do anyways.

Rolling on tables isn't "bad luck", it's deciding to abdicate authority or narrative consistency in service of a chart they themselves designed! The time spent designing entries on "the king's 3rdteenth smelliest nephew orders eggplant parmesan, how much does he like it?" table doesn't make the game more realistic. It's self indulgent, which is fine, but what's the point of the faffery if you aren't going to see it through?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases