AE: Deadly Spray -- Is this Broken?

Aluvial

Explorer
I am incorporating a Arcana Evolved Magister into my regular DnD game.

He has recently discovered Deadly Spray, which essentially turns subsequent Line effects into Cones!

The spell is 2nd level, and lasts 1 Min/Lvl. The range of the Cone is the Same as the Line!

Does this sound broken? Just imagine it on a battlefield or elsewhere where a Line can be expanded.

Aluvial

No.
1) Cones are like Lines generally inferior. You have to little control over the placement of these spells. Either the enemies don't align correctly, or your comrades get in the way. Or both.
2) You need two rounds to cast these spells. Think of alternative 2nd level spells the caster could have casted. The opportunity cost is not negligible.

justinsluder

First Post
In some way, yes, this spell is overpowered. Others, not so much.

Yes, because they're a Magister, a class built using a different spell system. If you allow the spells to cross over, then chaos ensues. I'd make it so a character built using AE classes cannot mutliclass into standard D&D classes. Also, remember that Magisters are supposed to progress at a different rate than the standard classes.

Just keep control of what resources the characters have, as all DMs should do without having to be told.

Aluvial

Explorer
justinsluder said:
Huh? Where does it say that?
One round for Deadly Spray, one for whatever line spell you are using....

I've nearly forgotten about the advancement.... is XP calcualted the same way in Arcana Evolved!? My PC is going to be upset....

Aluvial

Aluvial

Explorer
montecook.com said:
Re: Experience and balancing #8 [-]

(08/01/03 10:42:44)
Reply Quote MoreMy Recent Posts Message Me Connection Blocking Invite Ignore User's Posts Are the AU classes supposed to be balanced with the core classes if they share the same Exp table, or are the AU classes only balanced with the core classes if each uses their own Exp table (AU's 1100, D&D's 1000)?

Thanks,
Ryan Stoughton

I'd make AU classes use the AU experience point table, and 3E classes their tables, although if you don't want the hassle of having two, it's not that big of a deal.

As playtests have shown, the power curve for level advancement of AU is a bit steadier than in D&D. That is to say that AU classes start out around where D&D classes do, and then through low levels get more powerful faster than D&D classes, but then don't skyrocket in power the way D&D classes do at the top end (particularly spellcasters).

I guess I could have tried to make the balance over levels follow the D&D curve, but that curve has more to do with game history than design intent. When starting from scratch, it seemed the wrong thing to do.

Having played a lot of AU, I don't think that the difference is going to actually throw anyone's game out of whack (or I wouldn't have done it).
Monte
So, there you go...

Aluvial

moritheil

First Post
Aluvial said:
I am incorporating a Arcana Evolved Magister into my regular DnD game.

He has recently discovered Deadly Spray, which essentially turns subsequent Line effects into Cones!

The spell is 2nd level, and lasts 1 Min/Lvl. The range of the Cone is the Same as the Line!

Does this sound broken? Just imagine it on a battlefield or elsewhere where a Line can be expanded.

Aluvial

Broken is a very relative term. However, I can assure you that a sorcerer with lightning bolt facing down an enemy army (or wanting to raze a small town) will get a lot of mileage out of that spell. :D

Remove ads