Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

Siuis

Explorer
Self derision

well Hell. Called that one wrong, didn't I? A question arises however; knowing this to be a temporary (cosmically speaking) sojourn on the part of the Nameless Adversary, has he gone green as a method of transcendence, or is it a temporary mask he dons for the sake of convenience?

Irony, in that the Adversary, smartest of the smart, has turned into a big, green smash-a-majigger. Nwm has called forth the Hulk, indeed...

tleilaxu

First Post
A question arises however; knowing this to be a temporary (cosmically speaking) sojourn on the part of the Nameless Adversary, has he gone green as a method of transcendence, or is it a temporary mask he dons for the sake of convenience?

yes. :p

grodog

Hero
"I have only one question," Eadric spoke steadily. "Is it possible that Oronthon's Adversary – whom, lest we forget, possesses a not undeserved reputation for being the most conniving and deceitful entity in existence – has somehow duped the Tree-ludja?"

Nwm considered briefly, and nodded. "That is a good question. I suppose time will tell."

NICE! :D

"And Pazuzu?"

"Ortwine hunts him."

Ah, I love it!

Thanks Sep: you keep the worlds (and the plates/balls/planes, and the words) up in the air and spinning, and everyone guessing, and you still manage to surprise us all, after eight+ years now.

Aside: we should celebrate some sort of Wyrish birthday or something, on 21 Januarys, since Lady Despina's Virtue debuted on 21 January 2002!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Seriously Grodog... if the Wyre stories were a child, it would be in the 1st grade already! We should celebrate it's b-day! :)

Siuis

Explorer
I believe the answer, good sir, is that between the two of them, Sep and Cheiro determined that they would have an easier time making a whole new game system, rather than tweaking the epic rules into something that wouldn't defeat the purpose of rules being there in the first place. The end result to the best of my knowledge, was to call off the project after a time.

Atleast, this was the gist of the answer given to me, back when I first found the epic magic thread. I actually made this account just to try and track down Sep's rules-work, too...

Hopefully, someone will come along and cry "Nay!", and show me to the glorious golden composition that is the New Epic Magic System, but until then I must leave you with this sad news.

did anything more ever come of that work?

You have to deconstruct the whole engine - nonepic magic, character wealth (=ability bonuses) - and put it back together.

I think the reason I abandoned it - and I owe Cheiro an apology for that, as I dropped the ball on him [I'm sorry, Jim] - was that realization. I also knew in my gut that 4e was around the corner (it was before the official announcement) and I pretty much saw it as a futile task, assuming that the new engine would be better than the old.

There's a Pete Seeger song that springs to mind. The 3.5 engine - most importantly to me I guess, its aesthetic - is an altogether superior model.
You just have to keep it lubricated all the time.

In any event, I'm thinking about revisiting it. There's a bunch of variant d20/3.XX systems now, and lots of good ideas out there.

If you do decide to start the d20 deconstruction project, I'd be happy to lend what assistance I am able. I am currently waffling about on a similar project of my own, but keep cluttering things up by changing my design goals, starting new campaigns, tracking back to older projects, and so on.

If nothing else, I'm sure that I (and other readers of the storyhour) would like to see what you come up with.

Remove ads