African Adventures

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
East Africa, specifically Ethiopia, might be a good place to investigate as well. That place is ancient. It's a been an area with a lot of cross cultural movement given it's location. That place was never truly colonized. Ethiopia is ancient and they still speak only the languages of their people with English used as a business and education language learned mostly for commerce. Their people look sort of like elves too. Dark-skinned, pretty, delicate features, tall, and often thin. You could make a very cool African kingdom of elves based on Ethiopia.

GreyLord

Legend
There was a Dragon Magazine article about Adventures on the African Continent many decades ago, I believe made for the 2e AD&D games system.

I have not gamed on an African Continent game, but that is actually a very broad reference to game in (it's like trying to group all of Europe, or The Americas, or Asia together...it's far too broad).

If I were to game, I might aim for one in Ancient Egypt around 4000-6000 years ago (still broad, but not as broad as all of Africa) with it's great empires and the things they faced.

Another one would be another Empire most don't actually even know if they are from European descent, which is one that was found around the areas of Ghana and Nigeria. At one time one of the most wealthy empires on Earth, there were controversial things as well as political struggles and wars with other nations beyond them.

If I was going for a smaller scale, the Zulu lands in the South have a tremendous potential for struggle and adventure in their stories and legends which probably would equal or match anything D&D has for it's campaign settings.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
East Africa, specifically Ethiopia, might be a good place to investigate as well. That place is ancient. It's a been an area with a lot of cross cultural movement given it's location. That place was never truly colonized. Ethiopia is ancient and they still speak only the languages of their people with English used as a business and education language learned mostly for commerce. Their people look sort of like elves too. Dark-skinned, pretty, delicate features, tall, and often thin. You could make a very cool African kingdom of elves based on Ethiopia.

absolutely Persia recognised Aksum (home of the Queen of Sheba) as one of the four great empire’s with Rome, Persia and China.
Later Gondar rose as a Christian kingdom notable for its castles and trade with Mogul Indian, the Ottomans. It’s the likely source of stories of Prestor John

Derren

Hero
There's a new African fantasy video game out made by Africans, which imagines a history free of western colonialism, and which is created pretty much sans western fantasy tropes, but I can't remember what it's called right now.

How does that even work? Colonialization of Africa only happened in the 19th-20th century an pretty much all rpg setting use a time way before that.
Or does it mean without slavery? That sounds a lot like the romanticiation Celebrim was talking about as slavery was part of Africa way before the Europeans came.

African influences are a very broad category. What exactly are you looking for? You have Egypt which probably everyone used as influence at one point, you have the isalmic nations in north Africa going as far down as Mali. You have bigger kingdoms in Africa like Ethiopia and Kongo and you have a tribal culture like with the Zulu and many other smaller and less well known tribes. And probably several things I forgot.
What influences are you looking for?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
How does that even work? Colonialization of Africa only happened in the 19th-20th century an pretty much all rpg setting use a time way before that.
Or does it mean without slavery? That sounds a lot like the romanticiation Celebrim was talking about as slavery was part of Africa way before the Europeans came.

African influences are a very broad category. What exactly are you looking for? You have Egypt which probably everyone used as influence at one point, you have the isalmic nations in north Africa going as far down as Mali. You have bigger kingdoms in Africa like Ethiopia and Kongo and you have a tribal culture like with the Zulu and many other smaller and less well known tribes.
What influences are you looking for?
Firstly, you’re replying to a post from 2015.

Secondly, why are you so fixated on denying any decolonization or movement against racism?

I’ve literally seen no other type of activity from you on these forums.

Derren

Hero

Secondly, why are you so fixated on denying any decolonization or movement against racism?

Ah, didn't notice that this was a necro.

And I hate historical revisionism and correct it when I see it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ah, didn't notice that this was a necro.

And I hate historical revisionism and correct it when I see it.
LOL no. That certainly isn’t it, unless your understanding of history is so absurdly biased by garbage that you can’t recognize simple truth.

But you absolutely weren’t replying to any historical claim, so....your objection is clearly not about “revisionism”.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A
How often does slavery come up in your games?

African history doesn’t start with the 19th century slave trade,and as you rightly suggest it is much much broader and vibrant than that.

anyway Kugali a newish comic anthology coming out of Africa and Mzito is a platformer game that has the protagonist exploring Africa to awaken the sleeping Lions/Spirits

Derren

Hero
A

How often does slavery come up in your games?

African history doesn’t start with the 19th century slave trade,and as you rightly suggest it is much much broader and vibrant than that.

anyway Kugali a newish comic anthology coming out of Africa and Mzito is a platformer game that has the protagonist exploring Africa to awaken the sleeping Lions/Spirits

Depends on the game. When I run a Roman or Roman inspired game or the bad guys are slavers it comes up a lot of course.

pemerton

Legend

Derren does post other stuff. In one of my Traveller threads he was arguing that the game would be better if it the players spent less time doing stuff and more time ferreting for information from the GM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases