• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

African Settings / Gods

sjmiller

Explorer
Just a reminder, Atlas Games has a nice copy of the Nyambe map for free on their website. Also, if you get the hardcover copy of Nyambe, there's a detailed bibliography in there. The author relied heavily on a great many reference books, and even used the Dragon magazine articles. My next campaign will probably take place in Nyambe, or possible Northern Crown. I like my own campaign worlds, but for once I will use someone else's work.

occam

Adventurer
I'll put in another vote for Nyambe. I got the books a little while ago, and have been reading through them recently. The main book is amazingly good, easily one of the best 3e books of any kind (including WotC's). Chris Dolunt put a lot of work into making the setting interesting and usable for adventures, getting across an authentic feel, and fitting it in with the D&D rules set (which is 3.0, not 3.5, in this case). Even used copies still sell for quite a bit on eBay, but its quality makes it an excellent value at full price.

There were only two other books published for the setting. One is a first-level adventure, Dire Spirits, which is pretty interesting, and has a nice powerful villain you can use to set up a campaign adversary; it also sells cheaply. The other, Ancestral Vault, is mainly a collection of new mundane and magic items, and is good but not essential.

Some time ago, Atlas Games licensed the rights to produce new Nyambe PDF adventures to a small outfit named Too Many Goats. I was really looking forward to that, and they were supposed to be coming out with the first one soon, but right now I can't get to their Web site anymore....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads