After Sunset: Werewolves

C. Baize

First Post
Got a question about this product.
I'm considering the ramifications of bringing this product into an existing Shadow Chasers type of D20 Modern Game.
If we do this, we'll be utilizing the Afflicted Lycanthropy alternate rule...
One thing I'm unclear on... For the racial stats... does an afflicted werewolf have the same modifications to their stats in human form as a born lycanthrope?

I may have more questions as I read further and more in-depth, but this is my first. :)

arwink

Clockwork Golem
As presented, no. They just get the +2 bonus to Strength, largely because they have a diluted connection to their inner wolf when compared with the werewolf.

From a game balance POV this largely in place to prevent a group that uses both natural lycanthropes and infected lycanthropes from building a bunch of human heroes, finding a werewolf to nip them all, then loading up on the racial bonuses of the natural werewolf on top of their bonus feats and skill points.

If you're not using the werewolves as a race at all, I'd probably add a +2 bonus to Constitution to the mix, but only while the werewolf is in their altered form.

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
Ah. Good. I was actually considering only having stat changes while in Hybrid Form... So that until they take classes in the Werewolf class, they have no control and thus no real bonus (and the added disadvantage of being hunted).

Thanks for the timely response.

C. Baize

First Post
Would Improved Natural Healing stack with the Tough hero Stamina talent?
It doesn't say one way or the other.

Also... Action points... For the Werewolf racial class, it says they receive 5+½ their class level rounded down whenever they take a level in that class... Is that correct, or should it have said they receive 5+½ their character level rounded down whenever they take a level in that class? If it is class level, that's cool, it's simply different than all the other base classes.

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I'm inclined to let the improved natural healing stack with Stamina, although it's probably a feat that's best decided upon depending on the nature of the campaign.

The rules for werewolves are largely designed to support characters that charge into melee and hit things, which isn't necessarily the best tactic in a setting that includes guns and claymores. Improved Natural Healing, along with talents like Damage Reduction, are there to encourage werewolf players to follow the relatively straight-forward archetype that you tend to see in werewolf films.

The action point write-up is a typo, and should read character level. There should be a revised version of the PDF sent out around mid-January, and it'll have that corrected along with a couple of other problems.

C. Baize

First Post
That makes sense.
I'd be interested in seeing the updated version, when it comes out.
I'd also be willing to expound in private on my reservations expressed in the RPGNow review I left.

If you're at all interested, I'll leave you my e-mail addy.
No obligation if you're not interested. ;)

But if I do say so, myself (and I do), they're pretty spiffy ideas.
I was working on a "Werewolves in the Big City" type of adventure that included a lot of very similar concepts to what you guys put out first, so I figured I don't really have a reason to put out something that would cover a lot of the same ground... some of it not nearly so well as has been covered in your product.

Remove ads