• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aftermath - Campaign after the War

Rybaer

First Post
Session #7.4 - More of the kobolds, and their idol

The group holed themselves up in the room that had previously been used as a secure chamber from which to rain death through murder holes into the room below. Those holes were sealed up through the handiwork of Rurik, but there were still murder holes in the adjacent room over the hallway below. While the injured rested, the rest took shifts watching and listening at these holes for further signs of kobold activity. They periodically heard calls and motion in the distance, but none of the creatures seemed willing to come very close.

Rested and refreshed, they gathered up their gear - including a few of the remaining jars of alchemist's fire. Back down the stairs and in the hallway, they had two options as to which direction to go. Behind them, the murder hole room had two barred metal doors - the one they'd come through and another they'd not yet explored down. The other alternative was to try the wooden door at the end of this hall. The egg pointed in roughly the direction that the wood door at the end of the hall led, so they chose that way.

The door was not locked, but it would not open. It appeared to be either jammed or blocked from the other side. Using an axe, they hacked through the door until a small hole was made in the center. Indeed, there appeared to be assorted furnishings and other junk piled floor to ceiling on the other side of the door. They hacked a bit more at the door, opening a foot-diameter hole in it, then paused to decide how best to proceed. The three options seemed to be: 1) cut through the door and move the junk piece by piece, 2) burn through the pile, or 3) try going a different direction.

While debating, they noticed the tang of smoke in the stale mine air. It seemed that the kobolds had decided to start burning the pile of blocking material from the other side to deter them from coming that way. With the smoke quickly building, the group decided to fall back and let it burn itself out for a while.

Back in the murder hole room, closing all doors behind them, they decided to try the heavy metal door through which they had not come originally. Kisty clearly outlined the pit trap in front of the door in chalk so the others could avoid it. There was no sound from the other side, so they lifted the bar and opened the door.

Beyond was another length of rough hallway – part natural cave formation and part hand cut. There was no sound or light, but they could make out the humid scent of water nearby. With Rurik again in the lead, followed closely by Kisty, Zalman, Nigel, Findus, and Sinea and the squirrel, they pressed slowly onward.

The hallway wound around a couple bends and came to an intersection. They chose the direction that most closely matched the bearing of the magical egg. It wrapped around another bend and opened into a massive cavernous chamber with a small lake. What shoreline there was here had various fishing and drying devices scattered about it. They could not make out how far the chamber extended. Not wanting to try their luck in the water unless absolutely necessary, they went back to the intersection.

After another couple bends, it again split left and right. The egg only slightly favored the right passage. Feeling that neither was really leading them toward the egg’s destination, they tried the left corridor. Only a few dozen paces further, it turned a sharp corner and opened into a small chamber with a massive steel door set in the wall. An equally massive steel beam was propped up between the door and the opposite wall. Whatever it was on the other side of that door that required such heavy fortification, they had little desire to discover. When a couple voiced their curiosity, they were quickly reminded by their comrades that the kobold had mentioned a “dragon.”

Back down the right branch, the air began to take on an acrid tang. Rurik scouted a bit ahead and found the chamber where the kobolds did their smelting and smithing. Several forges and furnaces were set about the large chamber. In different corners, there were piles of raw steel rods and ingots, lumber, coal, and crushed ore. The forges were quiet and the furnaces somewhat cooled. It was clear that the kobolds had abandoned their work since the group’s intrusion some ten hours earlier. He returned to fetch the others.

As the group spread out through the forge chamber, Nigel heard sounds coming from the chamber’s one other exit. Just as he warned the others, crossbow bolts started flying into their midst. Nigel and Findus returned fire into the dim hallway while Rurik charged. Kisty flung a couple sling stones and Zalman summoned a couple celestial dogs. Sinea clumsily fired a crossbow they had looted off a kobold earlier.

The small pocket of eight kobolds crumbled in no time. One did manage to flee down the corridor in the confusion, however. Zalman sent his dogs off in pursuit, but they dispersed before they could catch him. The others were more cautious in their pursuit, knowing full well how many traps they’d already found in this place.

Quickly, but carefully, they pursued around several more bends in the hallway. They came upon a small wood door set in one wall just before a spot where the hallway did a switchback into a long, straight and downward-sloping hall. The sound of the fleeing kobold came from down the hallway. Nigel looked down the hall, but held back when Kisty grabbed him. She pointed toward the ceiling where a large section appeared different from the rest of it. “It looks rigged to collapse,” she pointed out.

Thwack!

Nigel was tagged by a small crossbow bolt, coming from the wall behind him! The few in the front of the group were then able to discern a pair of camouflaged arrow slits in the wall facing down the sloped passage. Another shooting gallery. Everyone dove back into the relative safety of the hallway by the door. It was also now clear that this door led to the shooters’ room. Of course, it was barred from the inside.

Putting an impromptu plan into motion, Nigel crawled along the floor under the arrow slits, got up into a crouching position, and readied his bow. Zalman crawled along behind and got under the other of the pair of slits. The wizard then tossed a jar of the alchemists’ fire through the arrow slit (just enough clearance to squeeze it in). During the ensuing confusion within the shooters’ room, Nigel popped up and shot down one and then both of the kobolds. Problem solved.

Kisty began a careful search of the sloped hallway and finally found the tripping mechanism for the trap ceiling. Marking it for the others, she continued downward and declared the rest of the hall clear to the bottom. The hallway rounded a bend and rose back upward for a bit. Another intersection split left and right. To the left, they found a heavy steel door. A rough sketched map of the areas they’d just been through suggested that this was almost certainly just the other side of the barred door they’d been afraid of earlier. The right hallway led back to the large chamber through which they’d first entered the kobolds’ lair.

They contemplated the steel door’s purpose a bit, then concluded that it was simply the shortest route through the lair from the mine to the smelters. When the party invaded, the kobolds likely blocked the door to force the group to take one of two longer and trap laden routes. Now, it appeared that they had cleared out this entire section of the lair.

They returned to the burning pile of debris and found that it was still burning, albeit slowly. They retreated to grab some more rest before continuing on. Several hours later, the fire had mostly smothered itself. Using hand and axe, they dug their way through the remains and used magically created water to extinguish what little was still burning.

Beyond was a length of hallway that ended in a door. Through that door, another series of halls and doors. They explored room by room finding only abandoned living quarters. Nothing was worth keeping and the stench urged them to hurry on.

One door in the area led out of the living quarters and into a fully natural section of the caverns. A narrow, long chamber with a sandy floor opened up before them. The tracks in the sand were clearly leading down its length. In the center of the room was a small stone dais, upon which were faint stains and a fishy odor. Most of the tracks continued on to the back of the chamber, but another set could be seen branching off from the dais to a narrow side chamber. These prints were larger – more like those a human would make.

Thoughts of the “dragon” still lingered in their imaginations. The dais, they surmised, might have been a place the kobolds left offerings of fish. The magical egg was clearly pointing in the direction of this side chamber. Feeling they had little choice, they continued on down that route.

The side passage wound around for a good length before dead-ending at a heavy steel door. Various crude dragon images were worked into its frame.

“This must be the place,” they commented.

“Do we go in quiet-like, or blasting?”

They settled on something in between. Not very quiet, but quickly and ready for a fight. Kisty checked the door and concluded it untrapped and, in fact, unlocked. Rurik flung the door open and he, Nigel, and Findus slipped in and to either side of the door.

The chamber beyond was roughly circular, over a hundred feet in diameter, and domed high above them. A single shaft of daylight came through a small orifice in the center of the ceiling, lighting up the tens of thousands of multi-colored gems stones embedded in the stone walls. A stone ramp wound up the right side of the chamber to a platform on the far side that went back into a shadowy recess. It was stunningly gorgeous, yet eerie.

As the group slowly entered, taking in the sparkling spectacle, a humanoid figure approached the edge of the platform above them. With a dull thud, the steel door behind them shut seemingly of its own accord. When the figure stepped into the light, they could tell he was dressed in impeccably tailored yet conservative clothing. He pulled the hood of his cloak back and revealed himself to be a pinkish-violet hued lizardman of some nature. Zalman, studied as he was in the creature lore of the land, surmised correctly that this was a half-dragon – most likely of a gem-stone variety. He knew little specifics of that type of dragon, however, given how rare and secretive they tended to be.

“Welcome to my home, travelers,” he greeted them in a smooth and pleasant voice that belied his toothy maw. “Although, I must admit that I had expected you sooner. And I had hoped with less conflict with my neighbors.”

“Who are you, and how is it you were expecting us?” they asked.

“Pardon me,” he replied. “My name is Thrindlemond. The answers to your other questions can wait, for now I feel I must find if you are what some may believe and others may fear.”

With that, he took a step back toward the shadows. In the center of the room before them, a mist quickly coalesced into what resembled a tiger – if tigers were fifteen feet long and made of an iridescent, shiny white material. The horrific beast turned and snarled, revealing fangs the size of cooking knives.

Next session - The party doesn't much care for Thrindlemond and they learn a couple things that they'd rather not know. Oh, and they pay a visit to Brother Sal's Traveling Salvation Show!

-Rybaer

Rybaer

First Post
I almost forgot to mention the other preview bit for the next session...Amblin's glorious return to the party after a two-session hiatus. He gets to meet a dragon. A real dragon. Not one of those candy-assed half-breeds like Thrindlemond.

I think he wet himself.

Oh well. Tune in next time for all the glorious details, pertinent campaign information, and loss of bodily function.

-Rybaer

Zalman

First Post
Thrindlemond

Thrindlemond is a busy-body, and annoyance, and a pain in the ass.... and we have only met him once. Rybaer threw these little Kobolds against us, taking us down 5hp at a time, and almost killed us. That's why we had to rest twice on the way down. Personally, I loved Thrindlemond's comment about getting down here sooner with less conflict with his friends. Well, yeah, we started it by attacking one of them and leaving him tied in a side passage - but he was alive. How were we supposed to get through all this and not bother Thrindlemond's little buddies. (the sorcerer was a major pain)

Thrindlemond is getting ready to "test" us, which I take great exception to. He also wants his little egg back before the conflict. He starts to pull it out of our hands so I slam my staff down on top of it and use it's magical ability to be immoble. It, of course, wasn't quite good enough. The box with the egg in it just slid out from under it.

Oh well, at least I didn't almost die in THIS encounter. Several others, but not this one...

Rybaer

First Post
Like I said, the group didn't much care for Thrindlemond. I think they should cut him a little slack, however. After all, he's a 2000 year old half amethyst dragon/half elf. He lives pretty much in isolation, is uber-powerful, and has a massive superiority complex. He's also got some strange hobbies.

What he considers a refined sense of humor generally comes across to others as either awkward sarcasm or condescension.

Zalman has been having great difficulty in getting past Thrindlemond's little "test," however, to appreciate the finer points of Thrindlemond's hospitality such as the massages, the hot baths, and the fine dinner.

I get ahead of myself, though.

-Rybaer

Dyme

First Post
Hi gang.... Nigel in the house.

Guess I’ll try to catch up from chapter 7…

Session #7.1 – The Life and Times of Robyn Steele

Nigel had never really thought of “leader” as “boss” but more like “first among equals”. After all, these are his friends, most of who he’d known since their birth. Because of that, he pretty much tried to put decisions up to a group vote, majority rule. So when Amblin went off on his own way at the red dragon incident he thought Amblin wasn’t being part of the “group” and naturally got pissed off. He wasn’t originally mad at Zalman—until he got spoken to. Nigel was kind of bewildered as to why Zalman was blaming him for Amblin’s running away, then got the standard elven attitude when he tired of Zalman’s whining. So, after that, he tried to take a more “boss” attitude, but wondered just how effective it would be. It was kind of fun having everyone ticked off at each other, making snide remarks, being jerks to each other. Sometimes you just gotta blow off steam.

As we frequently use the Split The Group Up tactic, it wasn’t long till the splitting up happened again—the next day, as we all saw.

The incident in the cave with Amblin and Robyn are the basis for a rule Nigel follows fanatically. Said rule can be seen as my sig.

And then he’s getting ready to make out with a cute elf girl, and she goes into convulsions and turns into Zalman. Talk about a turn off.

I’m not totally positive, but I think Nigel used a Speak With Animal spell to help figure out what happened with the egg and all, lest anyone get an image of Nigel playing charades with a couple squirrels.

And then the group comes back from the mine minus one person but with a very interesting tale of what happened to the missing member.

It was a pretty wacky couple days.

Dyme

First Post
Nigel Notes, Chaps 7.2 & 7.3:

As usual, Amblin had to go off on his own. Never mind the fact that we sent him back to Shadykin’s, he just had to go off and do his own thing. :D

Not really much to say about the initial descent into the mines. We thought it was a little weird that we never found Robyn’s body. The discussion on what to do with our pet kobold was pretty interesting, though. Nigel was against killing it just because it was “evil”; during the interrogation, the kobold told the group that all they did was mine and make things for the “dragon” and had no interest at all in messing with the nearby elf village. Sinea and Findus confirmed that they had not ever been bothered by the kobolds, and I believe that is what finally swayed the “Let’s kill it!” group over to the “Let’s just knock it out, tie it up, and leave it somewhere where it won’t be discovered until after it starves to death” group.

The ambush coming up the ramp wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t for those stupid tanglefoot bags. I sort of had a feeling that once we had gotten most of the way up, something large and heavy was going to come rolling down the ramp. It didn’t occur to me that they’d try to immobilize us first.

Nobody was more surprised that Nigel scored hits through the two arrow slits than I (player) was. I figured: we were standing at the end of the hallway getting peppered. Nigel thought enough of his bow skills that he’d probably get 1 arrow through a slit and maybe, just maybe, the other one would think twice about shooting at us once he saw his buddy laying next to him with an arrow in his head. Two very good attack rolls later, there were 2 kobolds with arrows in their faces and we could get Rurik out of the pit in peace. It was pretty damn kool.

I thought the sequence of events in the murder hole room was inspired thinking on Rurik and Zalman’s part. Closing the holes then distracting our tormentors with the dogs… just brilliant. Nigel was slightly disappointed he didn’t get to shoot arrows through any holes this time.

I had made a post on the last boards that didn’t make the switch over saying that Nigel takes attacks on himself and his friends very seriously. That’s why he had no problem dispatching the hiding spell-flinger as opposed to sparing the miner they had met earlier.

Ugh. Thridlemond. What a pain. That’s for another post, though.

Now, one year later, most of the players are now out of fate points. I think one player still has one left of the original two they each began with.
For the record, Nigel still has a fate point and I’m almost positive Amblin has one left too.

Zalman

First Post
Kudos?

Dyme said:
"I thought the sequence of events in the murder hole room was inspired thinking on Rurik and Zalman’s part. Closing the holes then distracting our tormentors with the dogs… just brilliant."

We suprised ourselves, too.

Zalman has always thought "leader" was kind of the Webster's dictionary verson. In fact....

lead·er (ldr)
n.
One that leads or guides.
One who is in charge or in command of others.

One who heads a political party or organization.
One who has influence or power, especially of a political nature.

"First among equals", well that implies superiority. The definition of a leader says nothing about being better, but about being a "guide" or "one who is ... in command..." That's all Zalman was looking for. Remember, Zalman is a mage; everything he knows up to this point he garnered from books. He also had a 19 intelligence and a bit of a smarter-than-he-needs-to-be-20-year-old attitude. Losing his cool with Amblin, Kisty and Nigel started him rethinking things... and it hasn't gotten any clearer. Even more murky.

Why am I here?

clockworkjoe

First Post
Great story! There's a lot that I might be tempted to use in my campaign, especially that golden dome :)

What happened to Boaz's player when boaz died? Did he switch to robyn or what?

Maldur

First Post
Seems like a very enjoyable game, keep it up :)

How long does this campaign run?

Damn I want to play again (gming has its charms but playing....)

Cheers, Maldur

Remove ads