Aftermath II - Free Agents

Rybaer

First Post
Re: Cool

Amill said:
Yeah, I remember your trap, quite nasty in fact. I remember Amill was absent for this session but luckily he showed up for the nasty stuff in the next part.

Amill's player, at this point, was just joining the group and was going to be on an every-other week schedule. So, in his backstory, I had a bit about him adventuring with a mediocre wizard. They were going to bash through a door and ambush some ogres, and the wizard suggested that he could cast his scroll of "Etheral Jaunt" on Amill so that he could slip through the walls and hit the ogres from the other side. Something during the casting went wrong (crit failure on casting a higher level spell from a scroll), and now Amill's body phases in and out of the etheral plane every now and then. Conveniently, he's etheral when his player is absent.

(The wizard perished in the attack.)

Rybaer

First Post
Session #13.3 – The No-win Situation

The group collected up their gear and thanked Jonas and the rest of the Thunder Guild for their help and hospitality. Shortly after sunrise, they were mounted up and on their way. They expected to be going cross-country for the entire first day as they cut southeast toward the road between High Hill and Unicorn Valley. The terrain was gentle hills, mostly grass covered, with frequent pockets of light woods.

Hooty flew well above and ahead of the party, scouting for anything unsavory. Amlin, walking on foot with his new dog, generally led the rest of the party by a hundred yards or more. Everyone else stuck close together on horseback.

During the first day on the road, Hooty spotted a pair of hill giants and a small group of dozing trolls. The familiar easily routed them around any encounter. They passed the first night away uneventfully in one of Zalman’s conjured huts.

The second day on the road proved to be a bit more exciting. By mid-morning, they found the road and started heading east toward Unicorn Valley. They were already a little bit beyond the spot where they had come upon the Shadow and his thugs ambushing a wagon several months back. On the south side of the road, the woods were considerably denser and the open grassy hills all but disappeared.

For half the day they traveled and met no one. Hooty was taking a rest break on Zalman’s shoulder when crashing sounds in the woods to their right jolted everyone out of their thoughts.

Moments later, a rather large hydra burst out of the woods and onto the road, almost exactly halfway between Amblin and the rest of the group. It immediately charged the majority of the group and it was all they could do to keep to the saddles of their shaken mounts. Rurik, in fact, was thrown from his horse, which immediately bolted in the opposite direction. The dwarf, realizing that he wouldn’t be able to outrun the beast, quickly drew his axe and shield.

Zalman didn’t like the situation or their odds. Through his study of monster lore, he knew that there are several different species of hydra and that each has different immunities and means by which best combat it. He was completely unable to tell what kind this one is, though…aside from being very large and having eight heads. (Fumbled Knowledge: Monsters roll.)

Amblin ordered his barking dog to stay put. The monk then closed the hundred-foot distance between him and the hydra in a single leap, delivering a sharp kick to the creature’s back. He fondly recalled the stunning blow he had planted on a hydra-like creature on the demi-plane of time and was looking to recreate that bit of history.

Nigel and Bommer both dismounted. Nigel quickly fit an arrow in Star Slayer and let the arrow fly right into the base of one of the creature’s necks where it crackled with released electricity. The hydra seemed largely unconcerned, however, and continued to bear down on Rurik. Bommer, giving the creature a wide berth, circled around to the backside where he hoped he’d be able to find an opening to the creature’s spine.

Zalman stayed on his mount. He wanted to be able to flee quickly if this fight turned against them. He directed Hooty to scan the rest of the area to make sure nothing else was going to join the fight. In the meantime, he moved his horse off the road a bit to get a safe angle from which to hit the hydra with a lightning bolt. Much to his dismay, the hydra scarcely flinched. He was getting a very bad feeling about this fight.

Rurik endured the first couple snapping bites of the hydra and then stepped up close so that his axe could reach the base of the creature’s necks. He swung Sleet hard and felt it cleave through one of the necks, dropping one of the eight heads to the ground. He immediately hacked away at another head, but only grazed it. The wound almost instantly closed up. Rurik made mental note to himself – it was all or nothing on each attack he made, either the head came off or it would just heal.

Amblin continued to spring in and out of the hydra’s reach, each time planting a hard kick to the hydra’s body in hopes of stunning it. The creature seemed very resilient to the attacks, though, and only a couple heads even bothered to peer around at the disturbance.

Bommer soon joined Amblin around the creature’s backside and tried to stab it several times in areas that looked soft and weak. His short sword bit into the hydra’s flesh repeatedly, but each time the wound simply closed up. It did annoy the hydra enough than a couple of the heads reached around the back and snapped at him.

Nigel continued to pepper the hydra with electrically charged arrows. He soon came to the realization that the hydra was completely oblivious to them. As much as he didn’t want to close into melee with the beast, it was becoming clear that chopping off heads was going to be the only way to bring it down. He shouldered Star Slayer and drew out the long sword that he was using until the day that he recovered his flaming long sword from the Shadow.

Zalman continued to hit the hydra with a variety of spells, hoping to find something that would bother it. In the back of his mind, though, he was wracking his memory for details on how to slay these things.

Rurik’s heavy armor and magic shield saved his life, protecting him from the worst of the hydra’s attacks. Several had gotten through, however, and he knew he wouldn’t be able to stand toe-to-toe with the hydra for much longer. Retreating would just give it more chances to snap at him, so he chose to stick it out and hack away some more. Sleet swung true and another head dropped. He really wished there was someone else in the thick of things with him, if for nothing else than the moral support. He really missed Boaz at that moment. The new guy, Amill, would probably have been a great deal of help with that big falchion. Too bad he was in his utterly useless ethereal phase right now.

Nigel finally closed in to give Rurik a hand. He managed to hack through one of the creature’s necks, bringing it down to just five. Two heads bit back at him in return and Nigel gritted his teeth in pain. It was going to be a tough fight, the elf knew, but as the heads continued to fall it would get easier quickly. Then something happened that caused him to almost panic – from out of one of the severed stumps, two new heads sprouted out. Almost immediately, these new heads joined the fray of snapping and biting.

Rurik hadn’t missed the growth of the new heads. While he was busy trying to lop off another one, two more heads sprouted from another of the stumps. The creature had started with eight heads. They’d whittled it down to five, but now it had nine and presumably a couple more on the way from the third stump.

“Zalman!” Rurik yelled. “How the hell do we kill this thing!?” He felt a bit of panic welling up from within as well.

Zalman was frustrated at the mental block he was experiencing over how to deal with this type of hydra. He was pretty sure that all of the heads had to be removed simultaneously. He also thought there was a way to prevent new ones from growing back, but the mechanism eluded him. Acid? Fire?

“I really think we need to flee!” Zalman said. He knew they didn’t have the time to find out the means by which they could drop the beast. Even if fire or acid would cauterize the stumps, he had only one Fireball and one Melf’s Acid Arrow memorized. That wouldn’t be enough to handle all the heads. Until his friends could get clear, however, he fired an Acid Arrow at the remaining stump where it sizzled and popped.

Rurik was taking a pounding, and Nigel had taken a few bad bites already. In spite of Zalman’s call to flee, they were both too close to it to safely withdraw. Amblin and Bommer both continued to hammer it from the backside, but to no avail. Two more heads were severed, but more just kept coming back. During a moment when there were two exposed stumps, Zalman cast his one Fireball spell. He targeted toward the backside of the hydra, in hopes of keeping Rurik and Nigel out of the spell’s area. He knew that Bommer and Amblin were both quite adept at rolling out of the way of harmful spells. The fireball went off and successfully cauterized two more stumps.

In spite of their minor success, the hydra still had eight heads and as much bloodthirsty energy as it had started the fight with. Rurik and Nigel were in bad shape. The dwarf finally had to pull back far enough to heal himself a bit. Nigel suffered a few more bites in the meantime, though, and was at risk of being taken down.

“That’s all I’ve got for useful spells, guys!” Zalman called. “I’m leaving now. I suggest you all do the same.” He was frustrated that his companions hadn’t made more of an effort to retreat. True to his word, though, Zalman turned his horse around and started to head off.

Amblin told Bommer to pull back and get to one of the horses. Amblin, of anyone in the group, was in the least amount of danger from the hydra due to his incredible speed and mobility. Bommer heeded Amblin’s advice and hurried back to the horse he shared with Nigel.

Rurik stepped back into the fray long enough to plant a curative spell on Nigel, then the two of them fled from the hydra as quickly as they could. Nigel let Rurik hop on his own horse with Bommer while he ran along on foot. Amblin stayed back long enough to taunt the hydra off of his companions, and then he too fled, calling his dog after him.

For some time the group fled on horseback down the road to the west, back toward High Hill. They were encouraged by the fact that the hydra was pretty slow on its feet and Hooty reported that after a while it lost interest in pursuit and had wandered back into the woods. Rather than press on for the day, they found a secluded spot well off the road and made an early camp. The encounter with the hydra had drained them and they needed time to rest and recover.

Next session: A lead to the Shadow's lair, and unexpected residents.

Rybaer

First Post
Well, the hydra encounter was completely unexpected, even to me. I don't run random encounters terribly often. When the group is out in the countryside or camping, though, I'll usually roll for a chance of something wandering along. On this particular day, I rolled an 01 on my percentiles. Generally, an encounter is warranted for a 05 or less or an 03 or less, pending on the locale and my mood.

So, I rolled a couple more dice to give me an approximate challenge rating (10 in this case, which should be fine for a party of 5 8-9th level characters). I then rolled another die and consulted the CR10 monsters in the MM, immediately discounting anything that wouldn't be naturally occuring in the area.

Thus, the encounter with an 8-headed Lernaean hydra began. Not being entirely up to speed on my hydra lore, I quickly read the entry. Hmmm...immune to all attacks. Can be killed by chopping off all the heads or use of a few select spells. Of course, the heads grow back at a 2-to-1 rate a couple rounds after being severed.

Wow, I'm thinking to myself. Too bad these guys don't have much chopping ability. Amill, who would have probably been the most beneficial party member, was ethereal while his player was out for the night.

The fight lasted a very long time. I'm surprised that they stuck it out as long as they did. There were a few times when it looked like they were gaining ground on it in the head-count race, but they would probably never have been able to drop it without a major shift in strategy. Had Zalman not fumbled his monster lore check, he'd have been able to offer some more useful advice up front that would have either helped them win or convinced them to flee immediately.

Not a very satisfying encounter, but I suppose they probably learned something from it.

Rybaer

First Post
Session #13.4 – Timberline Keep

On the day following the encounter with the hydra, the group returned to the road and resumed their trek east toward Unicorn Valley. With considerably more attention paid to the wood line from which the beast had charged them, they pressed on hard through the late summer day.

Just before dusk they arrived at the village of Unicorn Valley. Wasting no time, they made straight for the local militia barracks and found it locked. When no one replied to their knocking, they instead went to the small tavern for drinks and dinner.

The tavern was stuffy, but the smell of food pulled them in. They soon recognized one of Lord Trebain Durlock’s lancers sitting at the bar. Nigel, Rurik, and Zalman immediately joined him while the others found a table and ordered dinner. The officer recognized them and explained that he was the only military man in town at the moment. The rest of the lancers were out on patrol.

Nigel produced the sketch of the small keep that Jonas had made for them from his scrying and asked whether the man knew of the place.

“Can’t say that I’ve seen it,” the lancer said. “There are several small places like that in the region, though, mostly abandoned since the war. One of the local woodsmen might have a better idea. If’n you like, I can show that drawing around a bit, see what I can learn?”

“Sure,” Nigel said. “We’ll be here eating.”

A short time later, the lancer returned with some welcome news. “Yer in luck! One of the old trappers recognized the place. Says it the Timberline Keep, about ten miles southwest of here…deep in the woods.”

“Know anything about the place?” Zalman asked.

“Not much,” the lancer said. “Now that I know the name, though, I’m pretty sure that I remember hearing that a patrol checked the place out about a year ago when the Shadow and his band were still pretty active. Didn’t find anything but weeds and a few animals, I guess.”

“Are there any paths or roads out that way?” Nigel said.

“The trapper said it’s pretty isolated these days,” the lancer said. “I’m sure any paths have long since become overgrown. Hardly anyone dares go out that far anymore, anyway.”

They thanked the lancer for the information. They also related their encounter with the hydra and suggested that he might want to have the patrol hunt the creature down. The lancer was surprised to hear that a hydra was out in the woods, having only heard about the odd one or two occasionally sighted near the marshlands further west.

With dinner concluded, the group left for the outskirts of the village where Zalman conjured up a secure hut for sleeping. The short-term plan would be to penetrate the woods and find the keep. After that, they would plan the specifics of an ambush for their nemesis.

The next day brought a welcome break to the heat and humidity. For the first couple hours, the group traveled on the road back toward High Hill. Then, picking a more or less random point, they veered south into the woods. Bommer engaged the magical ability of his Raven’s Cloak and polymorphed into a raven. Zalman cast Fly on himself. Between Bommer, Zalman, and Hooty, they scouted the forest by air while the rest of the group traveled on ground. A loose line-of-sight chain was made so as to avoid losing those under the heavy foliage.

Within a couple hours, Bommer finally spotted the keep. It was a fair distance off, though, so he circled back to the others and got them pointed in the correct direction. Zalman sent Hooty off to do some discreet surveillance of the keep while Bommer remained closer to the others for navigational purposes.

By late afternoon, they had closed to within about half a mile of the keep. Nigel called a halt to rest and develop a plan. Hooty reported back to Zalman that he had spotted two hill giants residing within the ruins. No sign of the Shadow.

“Hill giants?” Rurik said. “Think they’re allies with the Shadow?”

“Doubtful,” Zalman said. “Remember Jonas’ description of how the Shadow left the keep? He was very sneaky, even while invisible. It’s possible he lives under the keep and the giants aren’t even aware of his presence.”

“Handy little first line of defense he’s got there,” Bommer said.

“Yeah,” Amill said. The psychic warrior had returned from his ethereal form earlier that morning. “If we try to engage the giants, he might hear the fight and know there’s a problem. And we can’t afford to leave the giants unaccounted for.”

“We could set up an ambush at the pond where Jonas saw him fishing,” Amblin said. “That’d probably be far enough away from the giants.”

“Yeah, I saw the pond while flying,” Bommer said. “It’s about half a mile away from the keep on the opposite side from us.”

“The only problem there is that we don’t know how often the Shadow goes fishing,” Nigel said. “He might only go down there once in a great while. Do we really want to sit around waiting for days or weeks? On top of that, we don’t know exactly where along the waterline he fishes. If he comes down there invisible, it’s far more likely that he’ll spot us than we will spot him.”

“Does anyone have a magical means by which to see the Shadow if he’s invisible?” Bommer asked.

“Yes,” Zalman and Nigel said simultaneously. “My circlet lets me perceive the invisible continuously,” Zalman said. “And Star Slayer lets me see invisible as well, though only for a brief time and only once a day,” Nigel said.

“That doesn’t give us much coverage if Zalman’s the only one who’ll be able to see him coming,” Bommer said. “Sounds like the pond is going to be too big an area to cover for an ambush.”

“Agree,” Zalman said. “Much as I’d rather get farther away from the keep for the ambush, the best place is going to be on the path leading out there. If we’re all in the woods, we’ll be difficult for him to spot. I can be somewhere up near the wood line. When I see him coming, I’ll give a signal.”

“When you do that, I’ll activate Star Slayer and get my ability to see invisible going too,” Nigel said.

“Right,” Zalman agreed. “Then, as soon as he reaches the wood line, you start plugging him full of your sharp pointy sticks. Everyone else will then have a stream of arrows to follow to the Shadow. In the meantime, I’ll fire off a Glitterdust or two. He’s got resistance to magic, so it might not stick the first time.”

“Can you do that Invisibility Purge thing again, Rurik, if Zalman’s Glitterdust fails?” Amblin asked.

“Yeah,” Rurik said. “But first I want to Dimensional Anchor his sorry butt so he can’t slip away from us.”

“Good call,” Zalman said. “You’ll need to be able to find him for that though, right.”

“Hmm, yeah,” Rurik said.

“I’ve got another idea,” Zalman said. “Invisibility cannot conceal a light source. Just in case my Glitterdusts don’t stick, let’s have a back up plan. As soon as I give the signal that he’s coming, let’s have Rurik cast Light on the fletching of one of Nigel’s arrows. Nigel will then stick it into the Shadow, because of course there’s no chance he’ll miss a shot like that. It’ll make a nice little beacon for everyone else.”

“What do you want the rest of us to do?” Amblin said.

“The key here is going to be to drop this guy as fast as possible,” Zalman said. “We’ll need you, Bommer, and Amill to close to melee. Kick him, stab him, stun him, whatever it takes to kill him as quickly as you can.”

For the next couple hours, they sketched out and plan and went over contingencies and minutiae. They wanted to be ready for anything, but most importantly they did not want to fail.

Two hours before dawn, the group packed camp and made for the keep. They wanted to use the darkness to cover their approach. Once they reached the keep, they skirted around the hundred-foot wide clearing that surrounded it until they reached the path.

Zalman found a spot in dense cover right next to the wood line and about twenty feet to the left of the trailhead. Bommer and Amill were about thirty feet behind him in the woods. So dense was the foliage, however, that they could scarcely see any part of the keep. They would be relying upon Zalman’s signal to know when the action was about to start.

Amblin parked himself near the trail, but about sixty feet back. As long as he could use the cleared path, he could easy close that distance to the Shadow in mere seconds. Nigel and Rurik were positioned together on the opposite side of the trail from the rest. They could not see the keep well, but they had a good hiding spot from which they could see both Zalman and the trailhead.

Now that the plan had started, no one was to speak or move until Zalman gave the signal. They knew it was likely they’d have to wait all day to get a chance at the Shadow, but for all the hardship he’d caused them they were prepared to endure it.

While everyone settled in and tried to get comfortable, Zalman telepathically asked Hooty to do some more discreet surveillance. The owl casually flew between various tall trees surrounding the keep and tried to get a look inside.

About an hour after dawn, Hooty made his first sighting. “Yo, Z!” the familiar said in Zalman’s mind.

“What is it?” Zalman telepathically projected back.

“There’s a giant climbing up the stairs,” Hooty said. “Looks like he’s going up to a platform on the back side of the place.”

“That’s fine,” Zalman said. “Just keep an eye on him.”

A minute later, Hooty spoke up again. “Uh, a big eagle just landed on his arm.”

“Huh?” Zalman said. “That sounds odd for a hill giant.”

“Looks like he’s feeding it,” Hooty said. “Maybe even talking with it. Oh, wait, it’s flying away now.”

Zalman pondered it for a while and then gave up trying to find meaning in it. “Just stay out of sight and keep an eye on the giants.”

About an hour later, Hooty startled Zalman out of the wizard’s quiet contemplation. “Uh, Z, bit of a problem.”

“What’s that?” Zalman said.

“There aren’t just two giants here,” Hooty said. “I see three of them. It also looks like they’ve got a pet.”

“What kind of pet?” Zalman asked.

“Look for yourself,” Hooty said. “Two of them and the pet are headed your way.”

Just as the familiar had reported, Zalman saw two of the hill giants heading out the keep’s broken doorway and down the path toward them. There was one male and one female, both toting large wood clubs. Sauntering between them was a grizzly bear.

“I think you really ought to move,” Hooty said.

“Yeah, I’d love to,” Zalman said. “Unfortunately, that’ll just give away our position. Besides, the others will just jump into action and assume that it’s the Shadow. We’ll just have to hope our hiding spots are good enough to conceal us from them. The undergrowth is pretty dense here, so we might have a chance.”

The giants strolled along rather nonchalantly, but just before they entered the woods the grizzly bear stopped cold. It perked up its head and sniffed the air. A moment later, it looked right in Zalman’s direction, bared its teeth and growled deeply.

The thoughts going through Zalman’s mind at that very moment have been deleted for inappropriate content.

Next session: Tangle with the giants.

Zalman

First Post
Our little group, which is known for not planning our attacks very well, finally got it together. Everyone knows what their roles are:

Rurik - Primary fighter, healer when needed
Amblin - jump in and out, fighter
Bommer - sneaky back-stabbing little sucker
Amil - Fighter (when there)
Zalman - Spellcaster and summoner for additional support creatures
Nigel - Pointy Stick man, back up fighter if needed

Okay, so we know our roles and now we have actually PLANNED for a fight. How could we lose? I'm looking for invisible Shadow, Hooty is keeping an eye out. It would go down something like this:
1. I see Shadow and hit him with a lightning bolt
2. Rurik will cast LIGHT on an arrow and Nigel will stick it in the Shadow. Everyone else comes running.
3. Rurik casts dimensional anchor, I start summoning a Dire Ape.
4. Rurik does and invisibility purge and everyone goes to work on the Shadow

Hmmmm, I still think it is a bad idea to plan in front of the DM.... :D

Rybaer

First Post
Zalman said:

Okay, so we know our roles and now we have actually PLANNED for a fight. How could we lose?

Hmmmm, I still think it is a bad idea to plan in front of the DM.... :D

Much as the players might want to believe that I deliberately snubbed their plans, it's completely untrue!

No, I had created a trio of hill giant druids (along with their grizzly bear companion) long before things got to the planning stages. I also had no intention of leaving them couped up in the ruined keep all day. I half expected the party to either lure them far from the keep to deal with them quietly, or to find some means by which to avoid them altogether. Oh well.

So, the entire time they were discussing their ambush plans, I had to hold my tongue...knowing all along that the giants would likely get to them first. On the upside, for a group that so enthusiastically ignores cooperative tactics, I was rather pleased to see them working on ways to maximize their potential.

Had they actually been able to initiate their plan against the Shadow, it almost certainly would have worked. Alas, reality turned out to be a much different animal.

Amill

First Post
Pretty good

I remember having Amill construct some webbing for the magic hut Zalman created. Not very significant, but I remember somebody bringing up the idea that if we had camouflage for the hut, it would be even better. I was still getting used to the group and the 3ed rules, so I decided Amill would use one of his psychic abilities, minor creation (or someother such name) just as a way of presenting one of his special traits. Other powers would be displayed in the fight with the giants (to good effect I thought). Just trying to develop a name for this guy...

Zalman

First Post
We never actually thought that Rybaer changed his plans or made additions just because he listened to us make plans. Just like pretending Lhona is a vamp we like to give Rybaer a hard time about this, too. :D

Rybaer

First Post
Zalman said:
We never actually thought that Rybaer changed his plans or made additions just because he listened to us make plans. Just like pretending Lhona is a vamp we like to give Rybaer a hard time about this, too. :D

Did I ever say Lohna wasn't a vampire? Of course, not a one of you has ever had the courage to just ask. Then again, no sense upsetting a good relationship by bringing up a silly thing like undeath.

Remove ads