Aftermath II - Free Agents

Zalman

First Post
Cool...

Let me see...

I'm in a pitch-black corridor...
Cut off from my friends...
Alone with the Shadow...
Switching between low-light so I can see something and See Invisible so I can see the Shadow...
I have summoned a Dire Ape and sent him down the hall to "kill" what he finds...

Alone with the Shadow... just me and him.

He's screwed! I'm gonna take him down!

Rybaer

First Post
Okay, I suppose I'll offer up an explanation of the full extent of the trap that Rurik set off.

What the group didn't realize was that the Shadow, along with his cursing, fleeing, and the sound of a door slamming shut, were all part of an illusion. The illusion was created by a former associate of the Shadow's - a gnome illusionist who had been killed several months earlier.

See, the Shadow realized that one day someone would finally track him down at his hideout. He had several nasty traps installed, or improved upon ones that had been made long ago. He figured that the first few traps would make any intruders more cautious, and less likely to set off this particularly nasty one. So, he had the illusionist create a visual/audible illusion of him...reacting in an appropriate manner to the presence of intruders. This was intended to draw the intruders into reckless pursuit...directly into the trap.

The Shadow would have been very pleased to know just how well it worked.

From my point of view, I thought this was a clever and appropriate trap. I also figured it was unlikely to cause any serious harm, given that those who always led the way were also the most nimble (Bommer, Amblin, and Nigel)...and would probably make their Ref save to leap out of the way.

When they rolled initiative for pursuit of the Shadow, Zalman had the highest with Rurik right behind. Everyone with high dex and/or Improved Initiative all rolled really badly. Go figure. Zalman was safe because he was flying. I had bad vibes when Rurik went next, though.

The giant leeches were basically just slightly scaled up stirges. The Con drain, on top of his fall/spike damage, killed Rurik in 2 rounds. (Rurik didn't have a very high con, in spite of being a dwarf and a cleric.) I think if Zalman had not been stuck on the other side of the steel wall he might have been able to kill the leeches fast enough to save Rurik...possibly by detonating a fireball in the pit.

I felt bad for the loss of such a long-standing character. The dice sometimes fall that way, though. Even a good roll (initiative) can sometimes come back to haunt you. I worked out an idea with the player for how to work him back in...so while the others sought a way through the steel wall, he rolled up a new character.

Amill

First Post
Goodbye Good Rurik

Rurik's death was pretty nasty besides being a damaging blow to the party. I remember Amill started throwing up as his memory flashed back to his days with his evil Yuan-Ti masters and the cruelties they imposed upon their servants/slaves.
I remember also with Zalman trapped on the other side of that big door that it seemed a pretty dark moment for the party as well. :confused: I was surprised to see Rurik go down so quickly.

Zalman

First Post
It was pretty much one of those moments where we looked around the table and went "ugh!"

Rurik, the cleric, had died. The party had no healing potions. I was trapped on the other side of the wall with the Shadow. Up to now my spells had never been very effective. He had some sort of magic item that gave him magic resistance - I was worried. Lightning bolts and Fireballs would only make him laugh... I needed someone with a weapon.

Our original plan was to confront the Shadow with Rurik, Amblin and Amil. Nigel would offer archery support while Bommer floated around trying to get some good backstabs. (Of course, the level of the Shadow in Rogue probably prevented backstabs - but that's metagame thinking...) I was going to provide support by getting some extra creatures into the fight to preoccupy his mind and sword so that my companions would not take the brunt of his fighting. I was going to pull a Dire Ape or croc to keep him busy.

Rurik is dead (Zalman does't know that...)

And I'm alone.

Crap.

Rurik

First Post
Finally! The shadow!
This time I will kill him!
Ha ha...I got the jump on everyone! That means I get to him first!

Trusty Sleet is ready...my fantastic shield is waiting...my platemail is in wonderful shape...HE'S MINE!!

All I have to do is run across this...hey...where'd the floor go?

ouch

leeches?

gimmie that rope...I'll get outta here and.................

Rybaer

First Post
Session #14.2 – Chasing Shadows

Amblin and Bommer, both clinging to the walls over the pit courtesy of Spider Climb, were painfully aware of Rurik’s demise below them. They set aside their grief to focus on the needs of the living – namely, Zalman. Both frantically looked for a way to get through the steel plate wall that separated them from the wizard and the Shadow.

Zalman, isolated from his companions, was very concerned about a direct confrontation with the Shadow. If the dark elf closed with him in these tight quarters, the wizard’s life would become a footnote in history of failed adventurers. The summoned dire ape filled much of the corridor and Zalman used the cover to put his back against the end of the hallway and cast a Shield in front of him. He urged the ape forward, and it promptly smashed through one of the three doors and poked around for any foes. Zalman cast Light upon a wand blank and tossed it into the room behind his summoned critter.

Zalman cautiously peered in the room behind the ape. It was full of loot from the Shadow’s banditry, mostly small furnishings, tapestries, cloth, and tools. There was no dark elf, though, so he urged the ape to come back and try another door. While the ape bashed through the second door, Zalman decided to pull a play out of their Kladish adventure. He summoned a thoqua up against the steel door. Its incredibly hot body started melting through the steel within seconds.

Satisfied that his friends would be able to get through soon, he turned his attention back to the room his ape had just broken in to. The second room was again had some loot. It was smaller and contained mostly bags and small boxes on shelves. There was little of interest and again no dark elf. Zalman sent the ape through the third door and down the stairwell that was behind it.

Amblin and Bommer were having no success in finding a way through the steel wall. They were discussing some wild options when the lower portion of the wall began to glow bright orange. Molten steel dribbled down the side of the pit, quickly solidifying like iron golem blood on ice. They saw the thoqua squirming around, melting through the door and part of the stone floor underneath. When a big enough opening presented itself, Amblin slipped through, wincing as he suffered a couple minor burns in his haste.

Amblin was relieved to see Zalman still alive. “Where’d he go?” Amblin asked.

“Didn’t find him in either of these rooms,” Zalman said. “I sent an ape downstairs to continue looking.” The sound of doors being smashed echoed up the stairwell.

“Right,” Amblin said. “I’m going after him. The others might need a hand getting over here.”

While Amblin virtually leaped down the entire staircase, Zalman turned back to the thoqua. The hole in the steel was big enough now that he dismissed the elemental. Bommer slipped through next, slightly singed for the effort, and carefully followed after Amblin. The flying wizard, meanwhile, ferried Nigel and Amill across the pit. Zalman was devastated to learn of Rurik’s death in the pit trap. Like the others, he buried his grief behind a burning drive for vengeance.

Amblin found Zalman’s dire ape in a large room on the third sub-level. The ape was methodically smashing down the dozen wood doors that lined the perimeter of the room. Amblin quickly identified the room as a prison, each door leading to a small holding cell. One door, to his right, was heavier than the others and bound in iron. The monk assumed that it was probably another exit rather than a cell, and figured the Shadow had probably gone that direction. He checked the door and found it locked.

The others soon joined Amblin and the dire ape. Bommer checked the heavy door for traps and then proceeded to pick the lock. The dire ape vanished after smashing into four empty prison cells. Amill and Nigel, peeking through the bars on the remaining cells, were surprised when they found one occupied.

A haggard yet buff looking half-orc was chained to the far wall of the cell. He was dressed in filthy rags, yet the hard look in his eyes suggested a depth of character that belied his current hardship. “Please,” the half-orc rasped, “let me out of here.”

“Who are you?” Amill asked. Some of the others in the room were becoming aware of the presence of a prisoner.

“My name is Feng,” the half-orc said. “I’ve been a prisoner of that drow for a couple months now. He and some of his companions hit a small caravan I was travelling with.”

Amill and Nigel exchanged a knowing look – could they trust this guy? The Shadow always seemed to have a trick or two up his sleeve. Could this be an illusion? Could the half-orc actually be an ally of the Shadow’s?

“Did you hear anyone come this way?” Nigel said. “We think he might have come down here.”

“I’m not sure,” Feng said. “I heard some distant crashing from upstairs, followed by the door at the top of the steps being smashed. Something came down here, and then started smashing through the cell doors.”

“But you didn’t hear any door open and close down here?” Amill said.

“No,” Feng said. “Can’t say that I did. Now, please, let me out of here. If you’re after that fiend of a dark elf, I would gladly join you.”

Nigel quickly conferred with the others, and the consensus for the moment was to leave him. They were in a hurry and didn’t want to take the additional risk of being duped by an unknown element. Nigel told Feng to hold tight and that they’d be back for him. Amill was more inclined to let the half-orc out, but the party had spoken.

Feng, a devout follower and cleric of Kord, would not let this opportunity for vengeance slip him by. “Kord, grant me your strength to break these bonds so that I might help hunt the one who killed my comrades and imprisoned me here.” The half-orc felt his stiff muscles swell with divinely granted energy. He flexed his arms and felt the binding chains snap. Many times during his imprisonment he’d tried to break free, but now it seemed that Kord had seen fit to make it happen. In the euphoric glow of Kord’s grace, he grinned and proceeded to bash his way through the cell door.

(DM note: This was an impressive introduction for the party’s new cleric…run by Rurik’s player. He used his strength domain ability to try to break through the chains, and then with his first ever roll as a cleric of the god of strength, he got a natural 20. Fitting? Prophetic? Well, that remains to be seen…)

Bommer had just finished picking the heavy door’s lock and opened it when the party heard Feng snap through his restraints and bash through the cell door. Several were highly suspicious at the apparent ease with which he broke free, but upon seeing the raw strength in his bearing, they chose to keep silent.

“I insist on joining you,” Feng said matter-of-factly. “I will see that drow dead, even if I must kill him with my bare hands.”

“Fine,” Nigel said. “Just don’t get in our way.” They scrounged up a weapon and shield for him to carry.

Amblin and Bommer led the way down the newly revealed corridor, with the rest cautiously following. Amblin tripped a pressure plate that launched a trio of spears down his direction, but no one was injured. Thirty feet ahead, the hall split in a “T”, with one door down the left branch and two to the right. Bommer quickly searched the two doors down the right hall and Amblin and Nigel opened them once cleared by the halfling. One was decorated as a bedroom, though it didn’t match the description of the Shadow’s quarters. The other door led to a small armory – weapons and bits of armor stacked on shelves. Feng quickly perused this room and found a serviceable greatsword and chain shirt. Then, as if guided by Kord, he spotted his holy symbol cast aside in a dark corner under a shelf.

Zalman, casting caution aside in the name of haste, decided to open the remaining door down the left hallway. In doing so, he found yet another purple worm poisoned needle on the backside of the handle. The wizard could feel his muscles weakening by the second, yet he remained able to carry his staff and backpack. He shoved the door open, brandishing his wand of lightning bolts. From Jonas’ scrying narration, Zalman immediately recognized this room as the Shadow’s quarters. However, there was no Shadow.

The others joined him and they checked behind all the tapestries to make sure their nemesis wasn’t hiding. Zalman looked over the couple books lying upon the small table and was somewhat surprised to see that they were basic texts on the fundamentals of spell casting. Nigel emptied the small chests in the room and was disappointed to find that none of his stolen gear was present.

“Well,” Nigel said, “We’re out of rooms.”

“Secret door?” Zalman asked.

“Yeah, good bet,” Bommer said. “I’ll start scouring the walls.”

“I’ll join you,” Nigel said. “Zalman, why don’t you check for any residual enchantments or magic means of escape. The rest of you just keep an eye out.”

“I’m going to head back upstairs,” Amblin said. “Just in cast he’s hiding and waiting to sneak past us on his way back up and out. I’ll plant myself in the stairwell to the first level.”

While the search started for secret doors, Amblin quickly slipped back up the steps to the second level. Using spider climb, he crawled through the hole in the steel wall and across the pit containing Rurik’s body. Just as he reached the other side, he heard a voice from behind…uttering a sharp and derisive word in a vile but unrecognizable language. He spun back around to face the pit, expecting an attack from the invisible Shadow. No attack came, but he could just make out the sound of retreating footsteps and a door slamming shut down the hall he’d just come from.

Amblin hurried back across the pit and checked the hall. All three doors were still open. Then, a painful realization hit him. “Zalman,” he yelled downstairs, “get up here!”

Zalman hurried up the stairs as best he could in his weakened condition. “What is it?” he said.

“Just stand here by the stairs and pay attention,” Amblin said. “Tell me what you see.” The monk crawled back to the other side and stepped into the corner. Again, the foul word was uttered, followed by the sound of footsteps retreating and a door slamming shut. Zalman, meanwhile, watched as an illusion of the Shadow manifested before his very eyes, followed by the audible cues of him retreating and slamming a door shut. Then the illusion vanished.

“Well?” Amblin said as he made his way back.

“Yup,” Zalman said. “It was all just part of a trap.”

Next session: More exploring...and more headaches...

Rybaer

First Post
The death of Rurik was a bit of a surprise to me. I really hadn't expected any of the traps to threaten the characters...just keep them on their toes. Rurik had a remarkably low Con for a dwarven cleric, and thus was very susceptible to the blood-sucking giant leeches.

So, when Rurik died, I realized it might be another couple weeks of gaming before the group finished up their hunt for the Shadow. I didn't want the player stuck with nothing to do. Fortunately, I had a prison cell area already mapped out on the next level. The player outlined an idea for a new character and already had him mostly rolled up by the time the players reached the cell block.

Worked out remarkably well. That he nat 20'd his first ever roll...using the strength domain ability...well, that was just cool.

Zalman

First Post
These characters - and the players for that matter - had not delt with illusions very much. (since they are hard to adjudicate we pretty much left them alone) When Rybaer threw one at us we of course assumed it was legit.

Score - Rybaer 6 kills, Bommer 3 deaths, Rurik 2 deaths, Zalman 1 death.

Rybaer

First Post
Session #14.3 – Down the well

Amblin and Zalman spread the word about the illusion of the Shadow being merely a lure into the trap that took Rurik’s life. Just as frustration was about to boil over, however, Bommer found a secret door.

Carefully concealed behind one of the many swaths of cloth hanging about the walls of the Shadow’s room, Bommer revealed the narrow passage. Cut out of rough earth, the bolthole was little more than a foot wide and twisted as it descended. Bommer led the way down the passage, very alert for traps and invisible dark elves.

Less than half a minute later, Bommer called back to the others that it dead-ended at another stone wall. He found a release latch and swung it open. The small circle of daylight directly above and the dark pit below revealed that the passage opened up somewhere in the middle of the keep’s well shaft. Rusty iron rungs set in the crumbling stone formed a crude ladder leading both up and down.

Zalman was brought down to the well shaft and quickly explored both up and down its length via his Fly spell. Partway up the shaft, he found the crack through which the Shadow had been spotted drawing water. Down the shaft, perhaps sixty feet, he found the water table as well as another crack leading into a cavern. He only briefly peered into the gloomy darkness before returning to the others to report. Telepathically, he asked Hooty to keep a very sharp eye on the top of the well.

The general consensus was that this was probably an alternate escape route for the Shadow. They hoped that he had merely fled at the sound of them setting off the pit traps and that he might yet be trapped down in the cavern. Continuing with their pursuit-until-victory philosophy, they started climbing down.

Bommer led the way, marking another rung rigged with a poison needle. The others quickly assembled just inside the cave entrance. The chamber was only ten feet wide and snaked away as it widened. Nigel urged everyone to stay in place while he scoured the ground for tracks. In spite of the poor surface, he found several. Some were definitely booted ones.

As Nigel rounded the first corner, he was rudely met with a wet slap in the face. He choked and gagged on the slimy glob of poisonous spittle, falling backward and desperately trying to scrape it off. The others, already poised for a fight, sprang into action.

Feng and Amill, both brandishing their respectively large swords, were the first to round the corner and found a massive spider web covering several hundred square feet of ceiling in the larger chamber. One spider had a leg span over ten feet across while two smaller ones flanked it. The smaller spiders launched several more wads of spittle at the attackers.

Amill broke to his right and hacked at one of the smaller spiders with his ferroplasmic falchion. A leg was chopped clean off and thick yellowish blood oozed out of its side. Feng, meanwhile, made for the larger spider. The large spider lunged at the charging half-orc with alarming speed, its mandibles easily piercing the chain shirt he wore and injecting a full dose of strength sapping poison. Feng’s greatsword immediately felt almost too difficult to wield, but he valiantly swung anyway, scoring a minor blow.

Amblin streaked around the corner, planting a swift kick to the large spider and springing back out of the way. Bommer decided that closing in on the spiders to sneak attack them was going to be far too risky, so he settled on using his short bow and peppering arrows when there was an opening.

Nigel felt his strength sapped slightly, but he was still able to handle his bow well enough. Once enough of the stinging poison was clear of his eyes, he drew and fired arrows as quickly as his elvish reflexes allowed.

Zalman, assessing the situation, chose the flashy approach. He launched a fireball slightly behind the spiders. The concussive blast simultaneously rocked the cavern and obliterated the remaining web in a brilliant flash. Two of the spiders were torched in the blaze, though neither fell.

Amill, who was almost single-handedly dealing with one of the smaller spiders, took a bite and felt its poison burn through his veins. Another couple slashes and a few helpful arrows from behind and the spider finally died.

The concentrated fire on the remaining two spiders quickly eradicated the vermin. Feng, moments after the fight ended, nearly collapsed under his own weight. His sword clattered to the floor and Nigel and Amblin had to ease him down. Amill, likewise, was unable to continue.

“Press on or stay with these two?” Nigel asked. He was slightly weakened, but felt good enough to continue for a bit.

“Let’s explore a little further,” Zalman said. “The Shadow may be close, and I’d rather not let him get the drop on us here.”

They left Feng and Amill propped up in the narrow entrance near the well, both equipped with a loaded crossbow. Nigel quickly surveyed the two exits from the spiders’ cavern for tracks. The passage to the right held no tracks, though there was a squeaking and fluttering sound. With Amblin in tow, he scouted down that passage until he found a massive chamber full of bats. In the guano on the floor, he found no evidence of recent passage, so they turned back.

The foursome of Nigel, Amblin, Zalman and Bommer explored a series of mostly natural looking caverns that branched off from the entrance at the well. Many dead-ended and there were a few crevasses that dropped down into water. Nigel had a difficult time tracking anything in the flat, rocky terrain.

Down one particular dead end, they examined some loose rocks that appeared to be a number of caved-in or filled-in tunnels. While looking for evidence of the Shadow, everyone became aware of rumbling in the ground. Recalling a nasty encounter they’d once had with ankhegs attacking them from below, they decided that fleeing was their best option. Bommer used his Raven’s Cloak to polymorph into a raven, allowing him to keep up with the others.

They continued down another branch, leaving the rumbling sound well behind them. This new branch again reached a dead end, but there was a foul odor of decay nearby. A natural chimney shaft, no more than a couple feet wide, disappeared into the darkness above them. Bommer flew up and found that the shaft twisted and turned a bit. A raccoon, deceased at least a couple days, lay upon a small ledge. The chimney continued further up, but Bommer found it difficult to negotiate in his raven form, so he returned to the others and reported his findings. The group decided to continue exploring elsewhere and return here later if they found no other evidence of the Shadow.

From the largest chamber they’d found, a nexus of sorts, only one passage remained unexplored. This path twisted and turned, continuing for several hundred yards without any side passages before it finally reached a dead end. The group had just turned around to begin the hike back when the rumbling could be heard again.

Knowing they were trapped, they prepared for a fight. Nigel drew his longsword and light mace. Zalman had his staff in one hand and wand of lightning bolts in the other. Bommer remained in his raven form in case a quick retreat was called for.

The rumbling grew in intensity until the floor between Nigel and Zalman erupted in a cloud of rock and dust. An umber hulk emerged and immediately raked its claws across Zalman’s chest. Nigel laid into the beast with his weapons, scoring a couple hits and drawing its focus away from the wizard. Zalman shifted position so that he could unleash a lightning bolt without hitting his companions in the narrow passage.

Amblin was about to join the fray when another umber hulk emerged from the side of the cave, hemming both Amblin and Nigel between the two creatures. The monk shook off the umber hulk’s confusing gaze, but felt the full brunt of its claws. Amblin was tempted to spring attack the umber hulk and leap past to the other side of it, but he realized that to do so would leave Nigel flanked by the creatures and very vulnerable. So instead he held his ground and attacked with a flurry of kicks and punches.

Bommer waited just long enough to make sure no other umber hulks were likely to join the fight. Once reasonably sure, he returned to his ordinary halfling form and snuck up behind the umber hulk that Amblin was engaged with. He waited for the perfect opening, and then leapt forward and jammed his shortsword into the umber hulk’s back, injuring it badly. The umber hulk turned and gave Bommer a painful swipe for his effort.

Zalman backed up a few more steps and launched a spread of magic missiles into the umber hulk that Nigel was tangled with. Nigel, lacking the necessary armor for a sustained melee, was taking a pounding. Between his sword work and Zalman’s blasts, however, the umber hulk finally fell. He joined Amblin and Bommer and quickly finished off the second.

Everyone in the exploratory group had been injured, Nigel by far taking the worst of it. No discussion was necessary for each to know that today’s pursuit of the Shadow was at an end. They had lost Rurik – friend, healer, and the most heavily armored front-line fighter. Amill, the psychic warrior, and Feng, their new priestly companion, were both incapacitated. Nigel was badly injured, Zalman was depleted of his best spells, and both Bommer and Amblin were modestly injured. To face the Shadow under these conditions would be foolhardy. And so, with double watches posted, they made camp in the cavern next to the well shaft and tried to rest and heal.

Next session: Voice from afar and the last passage.

Remove ads