Against the Shadows IV - A Faded Glory Story Hour

What Do You Think of This Story Hour?

• It is the greatest Story Hour ever!

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • It is one of my top 5!

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • It is entertaining. I recommend it to others.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I don't like it very much.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • It sucks! I wouldn't read it if it was the only Story Hour available!

Votes: 1 2.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old One

First Post
Interlude - Old One's Tactics Lesson

As some of you may know, I am an ex-military officer and a couple of people have posted asking about tactics that I use or have used in the past for NPCs and monsters. I will preface my tactics section with a couple of general comments to take into consideration when designing tactics for your own use:

General Considerations

Alignment - Typically, the more "lawful" in alignment, the better the overall tactics are going to be. For example, gnolls (CE) might be able to set-up a great ambush, but once it is sprung, every gnoll is fighting on their own and will not respond well to further orders except from a very strong leader. Hobgoblins, on the other hand, might execute a great ambush, then respond well to complex additional commands throughout the battle.

Training/Experience - Very important! Don't expect town guards or militia to be capable of intricate maneuvers or independant action. Also, rank and file members of humanoid tribes (goblins, orcs, etc) typically aren't going to be able to more than advance, attack and retreat absent additional training or very good leadership. These types tend to follow the last orders they were given, aren't very imaginative and their morale tends to be pretty brittle.

Veteran soldiers and humanoids with a strong culture (hobgoblins) should be capable of a variety of situational tactics, will use terrain intelligently, will use scouts and other intelligence gathering sources (like familiars) and are capable of independant action without constant leadership direction.

Leadership - Critically important, especially with poorly trained troops and creatures. One or two strong leaders can make a huge difference and spur even ill-trained forces to achieve great things. Conversely, the loss the such a leader will typically affect a poorly trained force much more than a veteran force, often causing them to break and run.

Morale - Great training and superior leadership can all be sabotaged by poor morale. Likewise, good morale can enable a force to stand in the face of overwhelming odds and continue to function. Poorly trained and led forces tend to have brittle morale, so a couple of casualties or the loss of a leader will cause them to turn and run. Elite forces can sustain enormous casualties and still fight - but virtually every unit does have its breaking point. In addition, failing morale is usually contagious. If a unit (or individual, in small unit actions) breaks and runs, then surrounding units often do as well, turning a retreat by the few into the rout of the many. Up through the Napoleonic period, most casualties on the losing side were suffered during the pursuit after the army broke and fled the field of battle.

Culture - In some cultures, honor and glory come from individual combat (Homeric Greece, Celts and Germanic tribesmen), not neccessarily from winning the battle. Such cultures are far less likely to develop and utilize complex battlefield tactics and fight as individuals or small family groups once swords are crossed.

Intelligence - Most creatures have a fairly strong sense of self preservation and will seek to survive whenever possible. Very few creatures will fight to the death unless they are: (a) Complete fanatics (b) Convinced they will die if they surrender (ie, fighting a foe they know kills all prisoners) (c) Fighting against an immediate threat to home and loved ones (d) Very stupid. They will either seek to flee or, if flight is impossible, they will try to surrender. All too often, I see DMs have every creature that enters combat with the PCs fight mindlessly to the end, even when hopelessly outmatched.

Tactics

Tactics - These are some that I have found useful and that I posted to another board. The discussion was about hobgoblins, so they are referenced throughout the commentary.

(1) Concentration of Firepower - Typically, each enemy matches up against a PC. This is STUPID! Instead, they should concentrate all of their attention on the most dangerous looking PC first...all offensive spells, missile fire and melee attacks go against one PC until that one drops, then action moves to the next PC and so on. Enemies that can't attack, due to placement, will hold position with either readied actions or full defense.

(2) Feigned Retreat - One of my favorites, especially if you have PCs that break from the group to chase fleeing enemies. After the PCs take a couple out, the remainder turn and flee to a pre-arranged ambush/rally spot - usually around a blind corner or a room with good cover (ie, storage room with crates). Once there, they turn and pounce on the pursuing PC(s).

(3) Playing Dead - This one works great with (2) above. After swords are crossed, a couple of the opponents drop right after being hit and the remainder turn and flee. Of course, the ones that fell are only playing dead and rise up behind the pursuing PCs, catching them in a vice when the ambush is sprung (the old 'hammer and anvil' trick).

(4) Break Contact - Not used nearly enough by most DMs. If the PC clearly outmatch them, the combat team breaks contact and flees, preferrably by seperate routes, to a pre-designated rally point. Slugging it out with a clearly superior enemy toe-to-toe is foolish. The adepts/sorcerers might have a scroll with obscuring mist or wall of fog to help assist with this.

(5) Critical Mass at the Point of Attack - Use several combat teams to hit the PCs from different directions using the tactics above. The PCs will think they have died and gone to hell! Have the enemies break contact, regroup, drink their healing potions and come at 'em again and again.

(6) Hit and Run - Don't stand and fight! Pop out of a corridor, launch a round of attacks and move out. Use space and time to wear the party down, use up their resources and weaken them. Concentrate attacks and fire on obviously wounded PCs to take them out of the action.

If your PCs are getting cocky or don't use sound tactics, it is time to give them a drubbing they will never forget!

Old One

Last edited:

Ack, it is long, but I will read it, if for nothing else than so that I can fill out the poll. I'll settle on one chapter a day, though, so maybe I can spread my reading across three storyhours.

Of course, the part I should be starting on isn't even on these boards. Sheesh, a lot of reading ahead.

Old One

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Ack, it is long, but I will read it, if for nothing else than so that I can fill out the poll. I'll settle on one chapter a day, though, so maybe I can spread my reading across three storyhours.

Of course, the part I should be starting on isn't even on these boards. Sheesh, a lot of reading ahead.

RW -

Thanks for stopping by! Actually, I have ported the entire story hour, sans commentary, over to the new board. I am in the process of re-formatting everything for tense and easy reading!

Take care,

Old One

Old One

First Post
It took me a long time to get the threads presentable, so I won't get to the next update tonight...look for it on Thursday!

Old One

Old One

First Post
Session 11 (Part Two)

How Paranoid Are We?

The Squawk made a percipitous descent back to the party - overshooting his landing site and crashing into a thicket of grosbush. A somewhat rumpled Quintus emerged a few minutes later and informed the party of the gnolls and wolves trailing them. An animated discussion ensued - with some in the party wanting to backtrack and attack the gnolls and some arguing to keep moving south at all possible speed. In the end, they opted for a cautious southward advance, with heavy use of scouting - both ground and aerial as Quintus' spells permitted.

The next several days were very tense and both nerves and tempers frayed. As they approached the ruins around the stone bridge in the river valley floor, they noted wolf spoor and caught several glimpses of gnolls and wolves to the flank. Fearing an ambush, the party made a painstakingly slow advance - first clearing the northern shore, then moving across the bridge with the Squawk providing air cover and clearing the buildings on the south side. Their arms cramped from holding arrows nocked and their eyes tired from the strain of looking for enemies in every shadow! They fully expected an ambush to sprung at any moment...

After successfully reaching the southern shore of the river, the party set-up their own ambush and waited a full day, prepared for a gnoll assault that never materialized. Finally, they tired of the cat-and-mouse game and continued south. Over the next week, they passed out of the river valley - cresting another line of hills that ran northwest to southeast. At the apex, they had a good view of the land ahead.

(DM's Note: This part of the session was somewhat humorous - at least from my standpoint! The players were AMAZINGLY paranoid...they expected a horrific ambush to be sprung at any time. Instead, the gnolls and wolves shadowed their movements, staying behind and two the flanks, always just out of arrow range. The longer time went on with nothing happening, the more paranoid they became...just like I like it!)

Wooded, rolling hills lay close by - similar to the country they had been traveling through. Far in the distance, however, Rowan thought he could see the particolored patchwork of fields with a broad, shining expanse of silvery-blue stretching endlessly beyond that...The Crescent Sea. Set against the silvery-blue, at the end of the Oar Road, lay a white speck, the port city of Oar. Rowan judged it to still be several days distant, but all were heartened that their destination was now in view. They were equally heartened that there were now signs of pursuit by the gnolls and the howling of wolves had faded into the distance.

They traveled down the Emorian-built road for several more days, coming down from the hills and into a small forest. Towards evening on their fifth day after crossing the river, Rowan caught the faint scent of roasting meat. Quickly, but cautiously, the ranger moved around a slight bend in the road. Behind him, far down the line of march, Rosë caught the smell of something as well. "ALE!", the barbarian bellowed, jogging forward up the line of march, mouth watering in anticipation!

In a small clearing on the western side of the Oar Road stood a ramshackle two-story building, surrounded by several rickety out buildings and a wooden stockade of dubious quality. A faded and cracked sign proclaimed the Two-Headed Stag Inn and Wayhouse, complete with a rendering of the namesake. Quintus stopped for a moment, surveying the decrepit building with a disapproving eye, but the others, drawn by the smell of the evening meal cooking, rushed inside without a second thought!

A heavy-set balding man with the hairiest arms any of them had ever seen, greeted them from behind the bar. He introduced himself as Brecken and asked their business, warily eyeing their weapons. Half-a-dozen patrons, dressed in treadbare tunics and oft-patched muddy boots, lounged about near the hearth, listening raptly to the soft singing of a female saar, soft tawny pelt dappled with darker brown and black spots and clad in diaphanous robes. Quintus, his quick mind seeing an opportunity, stepped to the fore and announced they sought lodging for the evening.

(DM's Note: Saar are a race of felinoids that typically travel about the land in small troupes, providing entertainment at the towns and settlements they pass through. They have a strong oral tradition and make wonderful bards, although many remain illiterate their entire lives. They are not a numerous race and their origins are shrouded in mystery. Most of the party have seen but one or two in their lifetimes.)

After sorting out the sleeping arrangements, Brecken quoted them a price of 70 denarii - including the evening meal and breakfast. Quintus, keenly aware of the lightness of their collective purses, countered with a request for a substantial discount if Sextus provided entertainment for the evening. "As you can see, good sir," Brecken replied with a toothy smile spreading across his broad face, "we already have a fine entertainer in Brigit there. She is always up for a challenge, however, so perhaps your brother can best her in a test of skill!"

With a little goading from Quintus, Sextus agreed and a substantial discount was agreed to IF Sextus could best the inn's "champion". In addition, Quintus laid a side bet of 50 denarii with Brecken. Still grinning, the inn-keeper agreed, then bellowed for his daughter to show the guests to their room.

Alyssa was a gangling girl of perhaps 14 winters, whose jerky movements and awkward speech belied all the discomfort that comes with the transition from girl to woman. She told them that a bathing tub was set-up out back, but it would be half-a-turn of the hourglass until the water was heated. Everyone but Rosë took advantage of the crude, but relaxing, bathing facility.

When questioned, the Brigante grunted, "I bathe when it rains!"

After they had all cleaned up, they descended into the common room and took a table for their evening meal. Drusilla was the last to arrive and she looked radient, freshly washed and having used the magical hair comb given to her by Lathan. A quiet hush fell over the inn as she made her way to were the rest of the party sat as many eyes rested upon her in mute admiration.

Roast venison, steamed potatoes and tasty brown bread followed. All agreed the meal was delicious, although Rosë complained about the quality of the ale. Finding there was nothing else to be had, the barbarian decided to sacrifice quality for quantity and ordered pitcher after pitcher. As they ate, more and more people arrived at the inn and the common room was soon packed with woodsmen, trappers and scrub-farmers, all anticipating the impending contest.

Once they had finished eating, they received a nod from Brecken, who pushed his way to the front of the room and raised his voice above the din.

"Greeting friends and neighbors! We have a special treat for you on this eve before Midsummers' Eve! A bard's challenge has been issued this night by Sextus Scipio of Glynden to our own lovely Brigit!"

Defeaning applause drowned out Brecken's voice for a few moments and he waved his hands and bellowed for quiet.

"The challenge will be the best of three performances, with audience cheering and acclaim deciding the winner at the end. Since Sextus is the visitor, he has the choice of performing first or second...I give you Sextus of Glynden!"

The diminutive Scipio made his way through the crowd, how hooted and slapped him on the back as he made his way forward to stand next to Brecken and Brigit. A smile streched from halfway around his head and his companions could tell that Sextus was eating the attention up. He turned to Brigit, who was watching him intently with the softly glowing eyes of the saar, performed a florid bow and rumbled in his deep baritone, "I must give way to the beauty before me, the lady may go first."

The crowd roared its approval and Brigit nodded to him, stepped before the hearth and launched into a lilting and haunting song, sung in the language of her people and accompanied by her lute. Sextus countered with a bawdy tale of the shepard and the farmer's daughter. The contest was on and the two performers battled back and forth - each doing well. The applause of the crowd rose for both as they juggled and told stories.

Through two performances each, Quintus judged them to be somewhat even. Then, Brigit produced two colorful fans. She began tapping them on the table and asked the audience to keep the beat. Then she launched into a sinewy and seductive dance - twirling her robes and moving the fans through intricate patterns as she gyrated. She finished by leaping atop one of the tables and twirling about rapidly, fans flashing. Thunderous applause echoed across the room and Sextus knew he must give his best performance or he was done.

Taking a deep breath, he stepped forward and began to recite an epic poem of the glory days of the Empire. His deep, vibrant voice held their attention and he did well, but it was not enough. He knew as he ended that he had lost and he turned and bowed to Brigit again even before Brecken called for applause and acclaim to decide the winner. Although disappointed, his companions welcomed him back to the table with smiles and nods. Sextus looked up to find Drusilla's blue eyes levelled at him and a half-smile perched on her lips. Flushing brightly, he ducked his head and turned away. Both Quintus and Rowan noted the looks exchanged.

Brecken made his way over to their table with a tray of drinks. "Don't look so glum...that was well done! This round is on me!"

He set the tray down and everyone but Quintus grabbed their mugs and began to drink. Brecken stood over the sorcerer for a moment grinning broadly. With an audible sigh, Quintus fished 50 denarii from his nearly empty purse and handed it to the innkeeper. Brecken winked, spun on his heel and disappeared into the crowd. Quintus felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Heyyy," Rosë slurred, "ya gonna drink your ale?'

Quintus glumly shook his head and the beverage quickly disappeared down the barbarian's gullet. Flush with drink, Rosë laughed at some jest and everyone but Quintus joined in. The sorcerer was lost in thought - already worrying about what they would do once they reached Oar.

(DM's Note: I used opposed rolls with Performance skill checks for the bards' contest. Both Brigit and Sextus rolled for each round and I kept a running total of the combined scores. I also gave Brigit a +2 circumstance bonus to the total since she was performing on her home turf. It was pretty even through two rounds, but the "Fan Dance" did Sextus in - IIRC, I rolled a "19" for her on that one. Sextus came close, but it wasn't quite good enough. Also, Quintus does not drink alcohol...his grandfather and great-grandfather both succumbed debilitating alcoholism at relatively early ages, ruining the family name and fortune in the process.)

To Be Continued...

Next: Session 12 (Part One) - The Big City

Old One

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Excellent pacing, Old One! I can easily envision this session in my mind's eye. The party is incredibly on edge, knowing they are being trailed by the Gnolls and expecting ambush at any second. Then they discover this remote inn that signals their arrival on the edge of civilization and all that tension drains away. Then the "Bard's Challenge" is put forth to add a new, but more lighthearted, tension.

The obvious next step is to have assassins attack them as they sleep in the perceived safety of the Two Headed Stag...

Old One

First Post
Thanks for Stopping By!

Rel said:
Excellent pacing, Old One! I can easily envision this session in my mind's eye. The party is incredibly on edge, knowing they are being trailed by the Gnolls and expecting ambush at any second. Then they discover this remote inn that signals their arrival on the edge of civilization and all that tension drains away. Then the "Bard's Challenge" is put forth to add a new, but more lighthearted, tension.

The obvious next step is to have assassins attack them as they sleep in the perceived safety of the Two Headed Stag...

Rel-

Good to see you over in our luxurious new digs...be interesting to see what happens when the flood gates open;)!

The session was interesting because my group usually moves along at a pretty good pace, no lollygagging around. This time, they were very slow and deliberate...and were almost afraid to cross the river...they were so sure they were going to get jumped!

There was almost a visible collective sigh of relief when they made it to the Two-Headed Stag...nothing had tried to kill them for over a week:D!

Anyway, I hope to have the first part of Session 12 up by tomorrow, as we play again on Sunday.

Old One

Ziggy

First Post
Hi OldOne!

I'm happy to see that the story made the transition to the new boards, and very happy that you are posting again.

It looks like we are heading into new areas with the story, I'm looking forward to seeing what new surprises the DM has in his sleeve..

.Ziggy (a regular reader from Norway)

Galfridus

First Post
Re: Session 11 (Part Two)

Old One said:
After they had all cleaned up, they descended into the common room and took a table for their evening meal. Drusilla was the last to arrive and she looked radient, freshly washed and having used the magical hair comb given to her by Lathan. A quiet hush fell over the inn as she made her way to were the rest of the party sat as many eyes rested upon her in mute admiration.

Heh, "mute admiration"...that's just cruel. :)

Oberton

First Post
Well done, I really liked the pacing Old One.

The scene in the bar was excellent and well done. Your description of the events makes me feel like I am there!

Keep up the great work!

O'Berton
(AKA: Warren LaFrance)
http://www.mmpog.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads