Against the Shadows IV - A Faded Glory Story Hour

What Do You Think of This Story Hour?

• It is the greatest Story Hour ever!

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • It is one of my top 5!

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • It is entertaining. I recommend it to others.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I don't like it very much.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • It sucks! I wouldn't read it if it was the only Story Hour available!

Votes: 1 2.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old One

First Post
Thanks! A$$ Kissing is Always Welcome!

WSmith said:
I have finally caught up. To my glee, I was only missing 11 and 12. So with further adeau, let the blatant @$$ kissing begin!

The summary: Thank you soo much for the summary in the first post. It helped refresh my memory as to what events were occuring. A really good thing for the old fans, with old memories. :D

The Tactics Guide: I never really gave much thought about this stuff. D&D was usually, "in come the orcs, melee folks move up and go toe-to-toe, missile men move back and let 'em fly, and for all that is good, get that unarmored spellcaster to the back and have him start casting some kind of support for us." After this typical settup, the DM nasties never seem to retreat, use very few, if any tactics, some of those cited which I learned in the military myself. Because of your viewpoints, I have to say that when I start reading about approaching gnolls, I get apprehensive and excited, thinking "were are they coming from next." I like the concept of tactical retreats ambushes. Consider that idea stolen, for good.

The Bard Battle: I could actually feel like I was in the tavern myself. Excellent work to both Brigit and Sextus. In a meta game terms, how do you run the playing of this. Did you have Corey, (you're Sextus not Qunitus right? I get all the players confussed at times) say, "I am telling the tale of..." and then roll, or did he actually tell some of the tale and then roll? Just curious how this played out.

The Union Issues: When I was reading it I thought the same thing, why the leather covers? :D I really got a chuckle out of the explanation cause I work for the federal government, and know that this stuff indeed does occur. To put it into the Oar government adds to the level of verisimilitue (sp.)

You and your group sound like a bunch of guys I would enjoy being around. Someday when I am passing through MD, I will stop in and meet the crew.

WSmith -

Thanks for stopping by! In reverse order...

(1) Just give me a head's up if you are traveling through. I think I remember reading that you were moving back to the East Coast (S. Jersey?). We play about every 3 weeks or so.

(2) I too have had far to much experience dealing with governments - from local to national and the stunning inefficiency never ceases to amaze me. If I ran my business that way, I would be bankrupt within the week! I just like putting those "homey" touches on things:D!

(3) Actually it is Steve who runs Sextus (unfortunately, he doesn't have a home computer and thus is rarely on the boards). He is GREAT at staying in character, has a deep baritone voice and often spouts into spontaneous poetry. I basically let him act it out a little, rolled for the crowd's reaction then modified his performance roll based on the crowd reaction. He regularly wins our "Roleplayer of the Game" award - worth 2 Hero Points.

(4) Glad you liked the "Tactics Guide"...I pity the party that uses poor tactics with me DMing. Give me relatively intelligent and well-trained peons and I will give even a mid-level party some trouble. Give me some levelled NPCs with some magic items and look out!

Old One

Old One

First Post
Broccli_Head said:

I remember that encounter and figured as much after you described what had happened. Truly you are a RBDM for punishing that good deed. How do I join the club :D? I realize IMC that I pull too many punches (at least that's what people comment), but I can change!

I guess under a mob of people, no one can hear you scream!:eek:

Broc -

Kris, Lew's player, did a great job of roleplaying his indecision. I kept describing how the crowd was closing in - yet he stood his ground. Then the crowd panicked and bum-rushed him...he had 2 chances to break free, but they were too much for him!

Back in the "Dark Ages" of my DMing days, I used to pull punches or fudge a fair amount. No longer! I love rolling in the open and letting the PCs sleep in the beds they make. I think you have to have pretty mature players (or young players with great attitudes) for it to work - ie, munchkins and power gamers need not apply - but it is much more enjoyable for me!

Old One

Old One

First Post
Re: I feel that I must put something here. So, I did.

Lela said:
Ya, umm. Consider this is stolen by one more person now.

I'm designing a wealthy city that seems to produce many heros. Recently I've decided to add some politcal intriege; something the players will have to deal with but can't change. Looks like I (you) have another idea. Don't worry, I plan to give you credit for it all:

Player laughing stops slowly, "Wow! When did you come up with that?!?"

Me, laughing slightly: "I didn't! I stole it."

Curious Players (in unison): "Who did you get that from?!?"

Me: "Some Old guy."

Lela -

As namer of the Table of Elemental Evil, feel free to scarf that up!

Old One

Lela

First Post
HE LIED!!!!

THE LAWFUL GOOD CLERIC WHO HATES QUISTES'S SCHEEMS LIED!!! :eek:

He lied. Not only slightly. He lied to desperate people who were mearly seeking ade. He lied in a holy place; dedicated to his god and built serve health and safty.

What will the repricussions of this be. He had a HUGE set of ethics built into his character and, while I don't remember the spicifics of Orison's code, I could easily see a big chastisement coming.

Of course, being crushed under a pile of desperate mobbers would make the whole point mute--except for the afterlife thing.

Also, if he survives, he will very likly end up feeling a small draft due to the distinct lack of clothing (the not-so-angry mob having taken their holy souvenirs.

Aw, well, walk in the light Lew. :D (couldn't resist the Wheel of Time reference)

Darklone

*Crawling back on my chair*

Oh my god (gods, devils, demons, whatever, this is D&D)

That's what I love about your story hour, Old One:
Torture, death, nothing would have Lew forced to lie. But you did :)!!!!

Old One

First Post
Did He or Didn't He???

Lela and Darklone -

We had an interesting discussion at the table as to whether Lew actually lied or not...

My first impression was that he did, but if you read the actually text of what he said...

“Brother Lew is busy serving the Light in important ways…”

-AND-

“Brother Lew serves the Light. He has important work. If it is healing ye seek, go north. There you will find Brother Lew... Seek out the light...travel to Fort Scipio...”

...it is more a "Sin of Omission" or "Sin of Misdirection" than an outright lie. He (Brother Lew) is (a) Busy and (b) Serving the Light in important ways! I thought it was pretty funny that he spoke of himself in the 3rd person.

The main thing I had a problem with was directing a band of cripples into the wilderness towards Fort Scipio, since no one but the party really knows what that is. There is some type of presence trapped in the catacombs underneath the shrine...perhaps that is what he had in mind...but we may never know!

Update coming soon!

Old One

Lela

First Post
Re: Did He or Didn't He???

Old One said:
Lela and Darklone -

We had an interesting discussion at the table as to whether Lew actually lied or not...

My first impression was that he did, but if you read the actually text of what he said...

“Brother Lew is busy serving the Light in important ways…”

-AND-

“Brother Lew serves the Light. He has important work. If it is healing ye seek, go north. There you will find Brother Lew... Seek out the light...travel to Fort Scipio...”

...it is more a "Sin of Omission" or "Sin of Misdirection" than an outright lie. He (Brother Lew) is (a) Busy and (b) Serving the Light in important ways! I thought it was pretty funny that he spoke of himself in the 3rd person.

The main thing I had a problem with was directing a band of cripples into the wilderness towards Fort Scipio, since no one but the party really knows what that is. There is some type of presence trapped in the catacombs underneath the shrine...perhaps that is what he had in mind...but we may never know!

Update coming soon!

Old One

Technically, it might not have been a lie. Unless, you count the fact that Lew was not at Fortress Scipo, Lew knew it, and Lew told them they would find him there; even though they won't.

Then again, that may be considered just implying that Lew is at the fortress, in which case it would agian be a lie/sin of ommision (depending on how Orison sees it).

But of course, that is more the Lawful Neutral argument. Lew is Lawful Good.

I would settle on it being a strait out lie. But that is just me.

Old One

First Post
Interlude - Lew's Journal

Greetings All!

Since we have reached that point in the story, I thought I would post Lew's perspective on recent events...

Lew's Journal

"Brother Lew, did you hear something?"

After a short pause, Lew replied to the younger Scipio. "Hear what? I can't hear anything over Josephus' clopping."

Sextus shouted up to Rowan. "What about you? Did you hear that?"

A moment passed before the cautious ranger waved a slowing hand and disappeared off one side of the road.

Some Mid-Summers-Day this was. Back in Glynden, the carnival would be well underway. Most of the towns people were probably half drunk by now. Every year the day gets a little more festive as people put their worries aside for a day. But not this year. Not for Lew and his companions.

The party had ventured forth from the inn at an early hour, only to be greeted by the pelting rain. They had been soaked through before the inn was out of sight. As they waited silently for the scout to return, Lew noticed that the rain had begun to slow.

Rowan appeared around a bend in the road waving the party on. Lew lead the stubborn mule forward once again.

Ahead, in the middle of the road, a young man was apparently having trouble with his wagon. Rowan mad quick introductions as Quintus surveyed the damage to the wagon. He admitted to having little proficiency at smithing, but judged it to be little different than the hammer he was used to wielding in the mines. A few blows latter, the wheel was straightened and the wagon was as good as new.

The young man agreed to traveling together, and allowed Drusilla to ride in the back of his wagon. The rest of the day passed slowly. The weather remained miserable, although the rain stopped mid-afternoon.

Sextus strode along side the wagon, and sparked up some conversation. The young man turned out to be quite the gossip, and proceeded to tell all manner of fanciful tales to the attentive bard.

Lew could not help but notice that the backwater boy was quite the simpleton. He expressed wide-eyed, child-like amazement at even the simplest things. His tales were over-exaggerated, full of unnecessary detail, and often very hard to believe. Lew had decided it best to keep to himself, and let Sextus do all of the talking. That is, until he got dragged in...

The young man's eyes lit up. "You have one of those 'lighties' with you? Where? Which one of you is the lightie?"...

Lew's eyes rolled back into his head as he breathed a deep sigh. He did not want to talk with this simple man...but, if he truely was interested in the Light...

Lew moved closer to the wagon. "I am a brother of the Light."

"Really? Can you heal people? I have this pain in my back..."

The boy rambled on about his back pain, but Lew had already tuned him out. 'How do we always find them,' he thought to himself. The boy had little faith, if any at all. All he wanted was healing.

Lew sighed as he cut the young man off. "I will look at it when we stop. Do you follow the ways of the Light?"

The boy grinned eagerly, "Yes... go every chance I get...been to the Cathedral at least 2 or 3 times..."

Lew did not know what to say. The boy was actually proud of himself for going to the cathedral a handfull of times in his life. To him, that was reverence.

"Very well, I will look at your back when we stop." The boy did not grasp the hidden message that the converstation was over, so Lew ended up repeating this line several times. Finally, Sextus spoke up and changed the subject, saving Lew.

That evening, Lew examined the young man. His lower back was severely out of alignment, which Lew was able to deftly re-adjust. The boy screamed in pain for a moment, then began dancing for joy. He declared the Lew was a 'miracle worker' for fixing his back, and that Quintus was too for fixing the wagon.

Lew shook his head, but held his tongue. He figured that there was no point arguing with the simple man who was prone to exaggeration. The topic fell, and the night passed on uneventfully.

The next day passed much the same, although the weather had lightened a bit. Before long, the road had begun to dry up, and the wagon moved a little quicker to their destination. Little of note happened. Sextus and the young man continued to chat, now mumbling about the politics of Oar. At one point, several soldiers passed on rather strong-looking horses, but they
said nothing, and were gone over horizon in a few short minutes.

The party reached the city of Oar just before the evening meal. The city was more than any of them had ever imagined. The walls alone towered above anything they had seen before. The towers of the cathedral rose to imposible heights. And beyond...the vastness of the sea...larger than anything Lew could imagine...the entire party stopped to gape in awe at the amazing sight.

After they had wrapped their wits about them once again, Quintus proceeded toward an inn that came highly recommended. Lew decided it best to stay outside with Josephus (the mule and wait for the rest of the party. Before long they returned with incredulous looks on their faces. It appears that the inn was a little to expensive for their small purses. Dejected, and seing that there was little other choice, Lew suggested that they seek lodging at the Cathedral.

As they approached the city gate, Lew overheard a guard asking those that entered for their names. Quintus immediately began plotting, trying to assign each of the party members a fake name and story. Lew gave the young man a disaproving scowl, then stepped forward.

"I am Gandlewyn - Brother of the Light - I have business at the Cathedral."

Quintus frowned, but Lew could care less.

"And who are these?" The guard asked with a glance at the rest of the party.

"They are my companions..." He waved a hand for each to introduce himself. As he did, each of the party members gave a fake name, and some ficticious background. Each reply was like a dagger in Lew's heart. Why must they always lie? Even Rowan...

He expected little else from Quintus, but Rowan... he thought the ranger new better than to stray through the maze of Light and Shadow that are lies.

Quintus and Lew left the rest of the party in the piazza outside the church. Lew did not want to drag the entire party through the cathedral until they were welcomed.

After a bit of discussion with a lay brother, Viato, the party was welcomed into the Cathedral. Lew took a few minutes to pray to Osirian, thanking him for the safe journey. He then found the others in the quarters that had been set aside for them, washed up, and prepared for dinner with the Abbot.

Dinner was quite different than what the northerners were accustomed to. The foods were quite strange, but very good. They had been invited to eat with the abbot, and the elders of the church. Lew made a point to humbly thank them for the invitation, but was waved off without a thought.

The conversation revealed that Marcus had gone across the ocean on some quest for the church, and the the elder Knight of Tyrial was the brother of the man the party had met on the road. They also learned that Abbot Pratroclian had taken over the Cathedral since the cardinal had become to ill to maintain his duties.

Dinner went on for some time, and the wine flowed freely. It was late before they finally decided to call it a night.

The next day, Lew awoke to a pounding on his door. Viato was panicked over something, and seemed to think Lew was the one to solve the problem. A bit disgusted, Lew ended his morning prayers with haste, and threw the door open.

"What did Rose do now!"

Viato was a bit confused for a second. "No, it is not Rose... there are people here to see you... come..."

Lew folowed him out to the altar where 15 or more people stood. Each was deformed in one way or another from countless different diseases. "Where is Lew the miracle worker?" one of them asked.

Lew's head swam. There was nothing he could do for these people. He could not tell them that he did not have the power to do what they asked. He did not want to turn them from the Light. Worse, he did not want to know what they would do if they thought that he could help, but was refusing. 'If I could only help them see the True Path...'

Lew got an idea... It was risky, but he did not know what else to do.

He spread his arms as though to embrace the croud in a hug. "Brother Lew is busy serving the Light in important ways..."

The crowd swarmed him. Lew had to think fast. The words flowed to his lips in an instant, and suddenly a ball of blue-white light shone amidst the crowd. "Calm yourselves in the house of the Light!" His voiced boomed with authority, dropping the lilting tones he held before.

"Brother Lew serves the Light. He has important work. If it is healing ye seek, go north. There you will find brother Lew... Seek out the Light... travel to Fort Scipio..."

One of the men turned toward Viato. "Is he not Brother Lew?"

Viato looked like he was ready to pee his pants. "Yes, he is," was the reply he stammered out before he ran from the room.

Lew's shoulders slumped in despair as the mob rushed forward. He pushed them away as best he could, but before long they had him pinned to the floor. He gasped for breath, but under the weight of the mob, it was hopeless. As darkness closed around him, he could not help but smile at the irony. The very people he sought to help were those that would be his undoing...

~ Lew of Osirian

Last edited:

WSmith

First Post
Re: Did He or Didn't He???

Old One said:
The main thing I had a problem with was directing a band of cripples into the wilderness towards Fort Scipio, since no one but the party really knows what that is. There is some type of presence trapped in the catacombs underneath the shrine...perhaps that is what he had in mind...but we may never know![/B]

Oh...My...God!!! I just envisioned yet another bizarre random wilderness encounter. While advancing through the sparse forest, the party hears some moans and cries or pain and anguish. After investigating they stumble upon a group of cripples and diseased people, on a pilgramage to the "miracle workers" fortress. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads