• This is the Greatest Story Hour Ever!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Very Good! It is Among My "Top 5"!

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • It is Entertaining! I Recommend it!

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Nice Try, But Not My Cup of Tea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Sucks! Stop This Drivel Immediately!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Lela

First Post
Re: REL

Old One said:

To show you how evil I truly am, I won't even give any hints as to what the twist may be, but it involves maniacal laughter, makeshift bandages and carved faces...

~ Old One

Nope, Rel. You missed it completely. It is obviously the disfigured miricle seekers that attacked Lew. The Maniacal Laughter is from one who thinks he is one of the evil gods seeking to destroy Orison. The Makeshift Bandages are what Lew is trying to do to create yet another miricle. And the Carved Faces are an obscure form of torture that have nothing to do with the campaign; mearly a reflection of Old One's twisted mind.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Didn't Old One tell us a little while back that we'd have to wait two installments before the recently deceased character was revealed? He's no RBST (OK he is, but not for that reason ;) ) he's just keeping his word and spinning his yarn.

As for Rel's insightful (an amusing) prediction, I must respectfully disagree. The carved faces adorn the hull of the Sea Eagle; the makeshift bandages are for Sextus' ego which was bruised by Drusilla "stealing" his kills; the manical laughter is mine for doing such a fine job of predicting these events :D !! BTW, I predict that Rowan will be our fallen hero -- his reward for giving chase all by his lonesome.

Keep the hits coming Old One.

Lela

First Post
The Lela Awards© are once again postponed.

Due to lack of information, the Lela Awards© have yet again been postponed. If you'll recall the nominee(s) are:
  • Against the Shadows VI - A Faded Glory Story Hour

As the 5-year-old player of Werewolf seems to be scaring himself too badly to sleep at night (and has thus quit the campaign), Old One's Story Hour has been left as the only nomminee. Of course, the judges are anxious. If we are forced to wait too long . . . Well, who knows what will happen.;)

Old One

First Post
Session 14 (Part Four)

Fateful Decisions

The party, sans Rowan, shouldered their way through the heavy doors and found themselves at one end of a large dining hall perhaps 20 paces wide and 30 paces deep. A dozen trestle tables filled the room, although several on their left flank had been turned onto their side to provide cover for a quartet of crossbowman that sent bolts screaming into the party ranks, grazing several.

Quintus noted four doors leading from the hall, one on each of the long wall and two at opposite ends of the far wall. His architectural assessment was cut short by the actions (or antics) of Rowan. The ranger, yelling dire threats, charged towards a knot of gray cloaks at the center of the far wall. He leapt onto one of the tables and swung mightily at an opponent already bearing wounds.

Unfortunately, his left foot, extended to support his lunge, landed in some gravy residue on the table and shot out from under him. Arms and legs thrashing frantically, Rowan flew into the air and landed in an ignominious heap at the feet of the amazed Shadowblades. Momentarily stunned, he could do nothing as the five men, evil grins splitting their faces, prepared to plunge their blades into his prone form.

(DM’s Note: A lovely “1” followed by fumble confirmation for Rowan!)

As Sextus, Drusilla and Rosë surged past to deal with the crossbowman, Quintus desperately called upon his power with all possible speed. A grain before five gladii tore into Rowan, the sorcerer’s Sleep magic sent four antagonists slumping to the ground, snoring softly. The remaining Shadowblade thrust his blade into Rowan, cutting him deeply.

The crossbowmen dropped their missile weapons and swept out blades as the bard, the rogue and the barbarian arrived at their hastily built defensive position. Sextus traded blows with one of the Shadowblades; each scoring a minor hit on the other. The younger Scipio’s eyes widened as a gaping wound appeared on the right side of his opponent’s neck and the man pitched forward, revealing a grinning Drusilla whose sword was dripping with fresh blood. Sextus’ face reddened with unreasoning exasperation as she winked at him, turned and danced nimbly back into the fray. “That’s three!” He growled.

(DM’s Note: Due primarily to the flow of the action, every time Sextus engaged someone, Drusilla tumbled to flank and finished the enemy off. By the end of the combat, Steve – Sextus’ player – was beside himself! It is especially delicious since Sextus still has overwhelming feelings of guilt surround the whole Cassuvius’ daughters incident.)

A swing of Rosë’s axe smashed another gray cloak backwards over a table in a spray of blood and the barbarian leered at the two men still facing the trio, murder in his eyes.

Lew moved up beside Quintus, crossbow ready. He snapped a shot at the man standing above Rowan, catching him just below the right collarbone and wounding him badly. The ranger, still gasping for breath, struggled to his knees and buried his sword in the man’s gut. The Shadowblade, a red-haired youth with a myriad of freckles, stared dumbly at the hilt of Rowan’s gladius pressed against his midsection before sliding to the floor, dead.

Drusilla and Rosë combined to send another of their opponents to Deathsgate with a pierced lung and severed left leg. Sextus pointed his blade at the last gray cloak standing, a lanky fellow with a narrow face and rat-like eyes. “Surrender now and we will spare your life!”

The man’s gaze darted about the room and Sextus could tell he was weighing flight vs. survival. The Shadowblade’s sword rang loudly as it fell to the floor and the rat-faced man’s shoulders slumped in defeat. Lew nodded his head in approval and moved into the dining hall to see to his friends. Quintus, relieved that everyone – at least among his companions – was more or less intact, slowly backed out of the doorway and returned to the previous room.

Casting a glance over his shoulder to ensure Lew was out of sight, he passed his spear point through the throat of an earlier victim of his Sleep spell. Then he moved to the bloody form of the enemy wizard and began searching for anything useful, pondering their situation as he did so.

Back in the dining hall, Lew applied some curatives to the badly battered Rowan and Rosë. The barbarian grimaced in renewed pain as the adrenaline from his rage dissipated. Still, he shared a ragged grin with his companions as they trussed up the five remaining Shadowblades. Sextus and Rowan looped sturdy rope around the wrists and ankles of the four sleeping gray cloaks while Rosë stood over them, bloody axe in hand. Each was suitably cowed as he awoke. They hauled them into a rough circle in the center of the room and Lew, surveying the carnage about them asked, “What do we do now?”

Quintus returned from his foray with several items in hand, although none of them seemed particularly useful. Looking long and hard at the prisoners, he glanced at Lew, a slow smile spreading across his face. “I have an idea!”

To Be Continued…

Next: Session 15 (Part One) – Once More Into The Breach!

~ Old One

(DM's Note: In the aftermath of their "stealth mission" thus far, the party has accumulated 21 enemy KIAs! During the battle, John, Rosë's player, kept a running "body count". At the end of the session he said "Twenty-One!". We all looked at him, puzzled. Then he said "That's how many we took out!" So much for hit and run!)

Lela

First Post
Well, Tottise, you must have been thrilled when those sleep spells saved your -4 prone butt. :D

How you all continually survive situations in which you should be dead, I'll never know. Then again, you havn't;)

Though it is true, I've become attached to the characters. It'll be hard to become used to another batch. I just have to remember how long it took me to start liking the Scipio brothers. I really hated them at first. Now, the two brothers have become two of my 5 favorite characters. ;) Though, it looks as if Drusilla may kick one of the PCs out of that area. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

As a side note, I'm planing on expanding the Lela Awards© to add in a few things like
  • Best Scene
  • Most Heroic Moment
  • Worst Villein
  • Best Timing (at least two of these will be awarded)
  • Most Heart-Renching Moment
  • Most Evil DM Moment
  • Nicest DM Moment (it's true, there is actually one that will qualify!)
  • Most Ironic Moment
  • The Table of Elemental Evil Award (Lifetime Achievment)
  • etc.

Seeing as there is no other story hour currently in contention, all such awards would be awarded to characters that make their home(s) here. If Old One happens to have any recomendations I would love to hear them. Of course, he doesn't have any say in what I choose for the DM moments :p

As always, I will ask my good friend Valgrath to midigate any and all disputes. ;)

Last edited:

Tortoise

First Post
Lela said:
Well, Tottise, you must have been thrilled when those sleep spells saved your -4 prone butt. :D

How you all continually survive situations in which you should be dead, I'll never know. Then again, you havn't;)

I was absolutely amazed and thrilled by the timing and success of that sleep spell Quintus heaved at the area Rowan occupied. It gave me the time to 5-foot-step back, drink a potion of moderate healing, and get my zero hitpoint butt back into surviving shape.

Needless to say, if you think this situation was hair-raising, you have more coming. At a later point I remarked outloud that we were headed for a TPK (total party kill) bcause it definitely looked very grim.

Darklone

*CACKLE*

Here we are,... waiting for the sore news...

I LOVE Dru!

Having done similar things to players in my group (as roguetype), I can imagine the look on Sextus players face!

*Very evil cackle*

"She stole my kill!"

Old One, could you post the players in the rogues gallery? Perhaps add Garrick and Marcus Tito too... post mortem.

Old One

First Post
I gotta a couple of more...

Lela said:

Though it is true, I've become attached to the characters. It'll be hard to become used to another batch. I just have to remember how long it took me to start liking the Scipio brothers. I really hated them at first. Now, the two brothers have become two of my 5 favorite characters. ;) Though, it looks as if Drusilla may kick one of the PCs out of that area. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

As a side note, I'm planing on expanding the Lela Awards© to add in a few things like
  • Best Scene
  • Most Heroic Moment
  • Worst Villein
  • Best Timing (at least two of these will be awarded)
  • Most Evil DM Moment
  • Nicest DM Moment (it's true, there is actually one that will qualify!)
  • Most Ironic Moment
  • The Table of Elemental Evil Award (Lifetime Achievment)
  • etc.

Seeing as there is no other story hour currently in contention, all such awards would be awarded to characters that make their home(s) here. If Old One happens to have any recomendations I would love to hear them. Of course, he doesn't have any say in what I choose for the DM moments :p

As always, I will ask my good friend Valgrath to midigate any and all disputes. ;)

Lela -

Here are some others...
  • Worst series of die rolls
  • Greatest Escape
  • Favorite story line
  • Most annoying story line
I'll let you know if I think of any others!

~ Old One

Old One

First Post
Re: *CACKLE*

Darklone said:
Here we are,... waiting for the sore news...

I LOVE Dru!

Having done similar things to players in my group (as roguetype), I can imagine the look on Sextus players face!

*Very evil cackle*

"She stole my kill!"

Old One, could you post the players in the rogues gallery? Perhaps add Garrick and Marcus Tito too... post mortem.

Darklone -

Thanks for droppin' in! Drusilla is pretty fun, although I forget about her sometime since she doesn't have a "speaking role" ;)! I really need to get Rogue's Gallery post in...I will add that to the long list of things that I am deficient on!

~ Old One

Lela

First Post
Re: I gotta a couple of more...

Old One said:

Lela -

Here are some others...
  • Worst series of die rolls
  • Greatest Escape
  • Favorite story line
  • Most annoying story line

I'll let you know if I think of any others!

~ Old One

Before I start, did you get my e-mail?

I spent all weekend on it and, so far, I have around 17 pages of type in Word Perfect (including my 1-page outline). I'm on Session 12 (Part Two) and have most likely passed many of those--but I'll keep an "I" out. Here's what I've already found,

• Best Scene
  • Most Heroic Moment
  • Worst Villein
  • Most Evil DM Moment
  • Nicest DM Moment
  • We're All SOOO Glad You Are Dead Award
  • Most Ironic Moment
  • The Life-Changing Moment Award

At this point I also have the following fun awards (I like to call them Tidbits):

• Best Timing Awards (1 so far)
  • Bad Luck Awards (2)
  • Bad Planning Award (1)

Each tidbit will have more than one winner and they will be interposed throughout the rest of the awards during the program.

Remove ads