D&D 5E Against the slave lords continue with a 2nd Live stream!

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Group skill rules are always a bit tricky. In 3rd Ed. I used to let the party nominate a leader for a certain task, and then the party's overall check would be 10+leader's skill modifier, with a penalty for each party member. I think it was -2 for those with no relevant skill points and -1 otherwise. Something like this could work with 5E - the party leader could roll with advantage, then penalise the check according to whether or not the skill is trained (or if playing without skills, whether or not they have at least +2 relevant ability).

JeffB

Legend
So there was a big fight at the end? I only got to watch about 80 minutes or so. Til the conclusiin of the giant sundew fight I guess.

I have been way behind on the rules as my playtest group did not care for the drastic changes..so my observations are more high level overview, if you will.

1) fun to watch
2) seemed a bit light on actual playtesting..what a great job...hey boss! We are gonna spend the next 2 hours in the conference room working on this project...:goesinroomandplaysd&djustlikeathome:

3: mike gives out way too much info , whether rolling or not, for my tastes (playstyle difference, not wrong or right)

4: PCs seemed pretty tough...considering how they want lower level threats to remain threats..the party walked all over everything up to the point I had to quit watching

5: ran pretty "light"... not too much more intensive than my OD&D games. Fights I was able to watch were quick when they were not goofing to much, but also were kinda boring.

6: mixing pre wars GH and post wars GH. BOO MIKE! ;)

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
So it sounds like they are bringing back ways to take extra actions similar to 4e's action points. Not a fan. Players having too many decision points during a single turn slows the game down. Move. Act. Done. Next player.

JonWake

First Post
Ah, that's only an issue if they have to pick between a collection of 30 similar powers. The extra actions seem to be limited in scope and number, so its not a big deal.

Uller

Adventurer
Ah, that's only an issue if they have to pick between a collection of 30 similar powers. The extra actions seem to be limited in scope and number, so its not a big deal.

I hope so. But I fear the death by Lilliput. Too many little things holding the game down.

My kids both started with 4e and were kind of luke warm on it because it moved to slowly and I think because it just felt like a numbers game. With Next they badger me to play every evening,because they like how in 2 hours we can accomplish so much more. Last night we started Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil...great stuff...(it's a little tough converting 3e NPCs on the fly, though). I really like a lot about 4e but I don't like how slowly it can move sometimes.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
So it sounds like they are bringing back ways to take extra actions similar to 4e's action points. Not a fan. Players having too many decision points during a single turn slows the game down.
It's only for the Fighter, who has basically no other choices to make in a round.
So there was a big fight at the end? I only got to watch about 80 minutes or so. Til the conclusiin of the giant sundew fight I guess.

I have been way behind on the rules as my playtest group did not care for the drastic changes..so my observations are more high level overview, if you will.

1) fun to watch
2) seemed a bit light on actual playtesting..what a great job...hey boss! We are gonna spend the next 2 hours in the conference room working on this project...:goesinroomandplaysd&djustlikeathome:

3: mike gives out way too much info , whether rolling or not, for my tastes (playstyle difference, not wrong or right)

4: PCs seemed pretty tough...considering how they want lower level threats to remain threats..the party walked all over everything up to the point I had to quit watching

5: ran pretty "light"... not too much more intensive than my OD&D games. Fights I was able to watch were quick when they were not goofing to much, but also were kinda boring.

6: mixing pre wars GH and post wars GH. BOO MIKE! ;)
It sounds like you were watching the first one. Yesterday's stream was part 2.

JeffB

Legend
It's only for the Fighter, who has basically no other choices to make in a round.
It sounds like you were watching the first one. Yesterday's stream was part 2.

Ahh. Maybe? ..I just clicked on the link posted in this thread and hit play. Will hafta take a looksee.

JeffB

Legend
OK...so I am listening now...

what is this encounter in the courtyard with "we of many faces"????....I do not recall this in A1...was it part of the supermodule rewrite? And if so, does that mean that the reprint is the Supermodule, and not the original individual modules?

NEVERMIND- Mike explained his ad lib

Last edited:

Remove ads