D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

Virtuegm55

Villager
Just the new ones. I haven't gotten to all of them yet, but I will.
Yeah I’m working on changing things up and putting it all on Roll20 I will for sure be looking at your docs when I get on my lap top thanks. (Still on whispering cairn campaign starts next month)

Virtuegm55

Villager
Has anyone made any really cool modifications to the age of worms and want to bounce around ideas? I just started the campaign this week. I have quite a few ideas I’m working on.

Tormyr

Adventurer
This thread has been derailed for the last page on how to modifications to AoW. I don't mind a question or two, but it is probably time to start a different thread so this thread can return to talking about the conversion. Thanks. :)

Vienneau

Explorer
After a lengthy pandemic-inspired break, we're continuing on this weekend so of course I've got more comments. At this rate, it will only be another 5 years before we finish!

Area #21 "The Star Chamber" is at the bottom of the blood waterfall where they face Moreto the true ghoul.

You converted Moreto to a Gladiator with Ghast traits and a +1 greatsword, but that seems underwhelming compared to the full stack of abilities and lore in the original. I really like the idea that he comes back as a spectre when killed - no one will expect that! Not sure a spectre is a real threat in 5e vs. earlier editions, so maybe a wraith?

"Ghast traits" suggests the stench, but the original didn't have the stench - it's tough to reconcile with the noble and civilized bearing. There is no equivalent disease touch though. Maybe the Rotting Fist ability of the mummy?

Moreto also has a Cloak of the Bat. Without it, he has no way to get up to the crypt where he's already explored (and no easy way to flee Flycatcher). I think he needs it back.

Moreto is originally an 8th level sorcerer/2nd level fighter with a bat familiar, throwing around Minor Globe, Lightning Bolt and Dispel Magic. Also Levitate, which could explain the ascent of the waterfall, though it's awfully slow. With four ghasts as "muscle", it seems like a spellcasting conversion might have worked? Maybe a Mage or Evoker?

You didn't convert the Seal of Law. It has no mechanical abilities, so this wouldn't seem to be a problem, but it does have triggered guardians from the Elemental Plane of Air. And the first trigger is 1d4 djinns, which are CR11! 1d4 invisible stalkers (CR6) and 1d4 air elementals (CR5) are a bit more reasonable. But I'm thinking just one djinn?

Tormyr

Adventurer
This is great feedback, thanks. I look back at these conversions, done years ago, when these questions come up and think, "What was I thinking?" :unsure: It's not in the self-deprecating sense, more like, "I wish I could remember." :LOL:

For the magic items, I often did not mention them. Random stuff that just made their stats bigger could be ignored, and story-relevant stuff could be assumed to stay. That isn't really helpful when you have to juggle a Monster Manual, story PDF, and conversion document, but it is what I could do with the time I had. :oops: He definitely should have the cloak of the bat, the seal of law, and the ghoul lantern.

As for Moreto's stat block, I think I could not find an off the shelf one that would work for spellcasting, so I focused on his fighting instead. The best thing would have been a custom stat block, but I think I was short on time at the time I was prepping for my game. I probably stayed away from the mage because of the cone of cold and the lack of hit points. Looking back, it probably would work well to use a mage with a +1 greatsword and some armor. And some more hit points. Which is possibly why I went the gladiator route. It's just too easy for him to be taken out in the first round otherwise, so why did Flycatcher have such a problem with him. Leaving him as a specter is probably fine even if it is underpowered. The heroes will have probably already dealt with enough by this point, but you can keep the wraith in the back pocket if the battle turns out to be too easy.

Even though a 3.5 true ghoul is more civilized (and Moreto potentially even more so), he is still essentially an evolved ghoul, and I think he should still be stinky. :) If he bathed, he would probably rub his skin right off! However, rotting fist would work just as well, since he is surrounded by ghasts anyway.

The seal of law might have been another thing that fell by the wayside, leaving it as is. One djinni is easy for a level 12 party. Two is deadly, and then it gets worse. Using just one djinni or dropping it entirely is probably the best/easiest course of action.

Remove ads