D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

smbakeresq

Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks for doing all this work. This AP and Savage tide were some of the best work to come out for D&D, especially for the Greyhawk setting.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

smbakeresq

Explorer
Chapter 12 is essentially done, but I am not posting it until my players are done in a week or two. I can supply it to anyone who needs it however. Chapter 5 has the unique monsters but not the conversions of saving throws, ability checks and the like from area to area.

After I post chapter 12 and finish chapter 5, I will probably go through the whole thing and fine tune where I can. Some mentions of magic items will be removed, the Kyuss Worms will be changed to their Volo's guide interpretation (i.e. doing 2d6 necrotic vs. 1d4 Intelligence damage), and some spell lists will be improved where possible.

If you are asking because you don't want to start until you are sure the whole thing is converted, rest assured that the whole thing will be posted.

Not much in the formatting department, can you send me your template for writing these up? I think I am going to covert the Savage Tide AP and I like they your template looks and reads.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I'm still reading through Age of Worms (in Chapter 8 right now). How did people deal with the whole issue in the "Free City" and the "abduction"? How did that go over with the rest of the party/players? [MENTION=28301]smbakeresq[/MENTION]: Out of curiosity, do you intend to make that conversion available here? That's another AP that I have that I've done nothing with. Since I bought Fantasy Grounds, I'm getting to play more and use lots of things that just sat on the shelf!

smbakeresq

Explorer
I'm still reading through Age of Worms (in Chapter 8 right now). How did people deal with the whole issue in the "Free City" and the "abduction"? How did that go over with the rest of the party/players? [MENTION=28301]smbakeresq[/MENTION]: Out of curiosity, do you intend to make that conversion available here? That's another AP that I have that I've done nothing with. Since I bought Fantasy Grounds, I'm getting to play more and use lots of things that just sat on the shelf!

Of course I would post it here, worth for the community.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

hastur_nz

First Post
I'm still reading through Age of Worms (in Chapter 8 right now). How did people deal with the whole issue in the "Free City" and the "abduction"? How did that go over with the rest of the party/players?

I ran AoW twice, once in 3.5, once in 5e. I assume the adventure you are referring to is "The Hall of Harsh Reflections"? For me, the two groups had quite different experiences. The first time around, I maybe didn't give it enough thought before hand; I don't think I did an early switch because I didn't think my players would be into it, and when it got the the 'abduction' piece, I'm not sure it had a great impact on the players; I tried to get them confused as to who was what but not sure I pulled it off. I'd say it's not written especially well, you need to think it through before hand, in the context of your players.

The second time around, I introduced an aspect of 'abduction' / 'replacement' right from the time just before the party even got into the complex; there was an ambush, in fog, in the alleyways outside, and PC's were all over the place and from memory one player might have been away, so I planted a 'proxy' right there, no worries, and told the player before they came back (a couple of my players these days are totally fine with a short-term double-cross or similar). It was kind of hard for the player to try and make it work, but it did work... as best it could. The final show-down, once again, didn't play out as well as one might expect.

I certainly think the designer tried to make a good job of the classic 'switcheroo', however it's an old trope and one that works better in a novel than in a face to face RPG. At the end of the day, the players just want to play their characters, kill things and take their stuff; back-stabbing is just an annoyance until they work out who to kill.

That said, there are actually a lot of very good things about the adventure, I rate it highly especially as it's actually just a big dungeon crawl.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Chapter 12 is now up. The Kyuss Worm behavior in this chapter is more like that in Volo's guide to monsters and works better in 5e than Intelligence damage.

Tormyr

Adventurer

I talked with one of the players who I felt could handle roleplaying a betrayer without pissing off the rest of the players. He stayed behind at one point and mixed several healing potions with fetid water in the sunken warehouse. It was at least four months before those potions were used and that part of the betrayal discovered.

As for the fight, I gave everyone a piece of paper that said whether their real PC was in the party or bound as one of the captives they discovered. I then had the players roleplay both their character and the doppelganger. After a while of combat, they managed to kill the doppelgangers and get everything sorted.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Hmmm - yeah I'm thinking that this scenario may not work with me as I have 2 newbies and one who has played. Also two of the 3 are running multiple characters. We're a long ways away from this anyway so I have some time to ruminate on this...

hastur_nz

First Post
The two adventures set in the Free City are some of the best and most memorable in the campaign. Tha'ts not just my opinion, but the recollections of the players I've run through it. The doppelganger part could easily be changed or trimmed completely, and you would lose very little - I certainly don't remember my players calling out the doppelgangers as a cool moment. Similarly you could make it any large city, in any game world, and it would still work just fine.

But yeah, focus one step ahead, maybe one adventure ahead absolute max, to help with continuity. Look ahead any further, and you risk too much changing by the time you are getting close.

Remove ads