D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
That's good to know hastur. When I read them, they both read pretty well. The gladiator games sounds like it'd be fun. I appreciate your recount of your players likes!

smbakeresq

Explorer
The abduction angle didn't work in my original group. We have a player who has great ideas for odd PCs, he once ran a LE Healer pacifist cleric of Asmodeus on the theory that if he keeps you alive eventually you soul would be his. Anyway in this one he ran a diviner wizard who told me at level 1 that his PC was paranoid and would constantly scry, esp, detect thoughts etc on his own group. "Think of Dick Cheney as a wizard" he said. So I figured he would get the doppelgänger in about 24 hours after abduction, so I needed to abduct him. Alas, he played his PC so well he never allowed the other PCs out of his sight, for fear they would plot against him.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

hastur_nz

First Post
That's good to know hastur. When I read them, they both read pretty well. The gladiator games sounds like it'd be fun. I appreciate your recount of your players likes!

Yeah, the Gladiator section is very memorable, because it's a great chance for the players to run a classic trope that doesn't usually come up in D&D (except maybe some people's Dark Sun games). There's chance for investigations, role-play etc before and during the set-pieces, and the fights themselves are, if run well, a chance for everyone to go hard-out in pure 'civilised' combat (with some skulduggery here and there, of course), where you know you can go nova. I made sure the crowd wasn't forgotten especially 'collateral damage', and especially the rules on flying etc. and in 5e I had a bit of work to do trying to make sure the combats were challenging enough. It's a great chance for the players to plan, size up the opposition, etc. In my 3.5 version the Froghemoth was taken down easily because the druid got lucky with call lightning. In my 5e game, the group placed bets on themselves winning, and named themselves the "Black Dragons" as part of a disguise, which was quite memorable and still gets mention years later. The big Kyuss Worm escaped in both my games, and provided a good (and unexpected) cap-stone encounter. Loris Raknian escaped at least once, as did his Cleric buddy - Loris returned again, once in the Rift IIRC, and once it was under Castle Greyhawk itself (he's in the 3.5 adventure book, which was a nice tie-in).

Overall, I think these two adventures are probably the best section of the Age of Worms; my players found that after there, it got a bit all over the place, as far as the consistency goes (which is fair comment - all the adventures are excellent, but the timing and flow of the second half is a bit off, some pieces really should be condensed so the best bits like the Giants and Dragons in the Rift really shine).

smbakeresq

Explorer
Any updates?

Also playing through this again with kids and at very end found a problem that only affects you if you go on to realm play. When the Spire comes down and the Worms eat 600' down the pit would flood, it's on the coastline. There wouldn't be a pit to adventure in as indicated.

This path is TOUGHER in many ways in 5th edition then in 3.5. There just is a lot of HP to chew through and 5e has very few spells that just end things. Multiple bad guys with multiple Spirit Guardians up just wear down PC's. This AP was made to be though, at the end you get huge amount of treasure and a kingdom to run, it shouldn't be easy.

When done the kids get to

smbakeresq

Explorer
Any updates?

Also playing through this again with kids and at very end found a problem that only affects you if you go on to realm play. When the Spire comes down and the Worms eat 600' down the pit would flood, it's on the coastline. There wouldn't be a pit to adventure in as indicated.

This path is TOUGHER in many ways in 5th edition then in 3.5. There just is a lot of HP to chew through and 5e has very few spells that just end things. Multiple bad guys with multiple Spirit Guardians up just wear down PC's. This AP was made to be though, at the end you get huge amount of treasure and a kingdom to run, it shouldn't be easy.

When done the kids get to rule a kingdom and fight Iuz and his minions.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Any updates?

When done the kids get to rule a kingdom and fight Iuz and his minions.

There are two parts left to do in order:
1. Finish the conversion of chapter 5. Currently only the custom creatures are there.
2. Go back through everything and do general cleanup, formatting, changing Kyuss worms to do necrotic damage vs. Intelligence damage, etc.

This is a bit of a low priority task at the moment. I have a larger project going on to get two different groups ready for Zeitgeist, and I had a big push to land a new job (which is now done). The project has not been abandoned, but there is currently enough there for someone to go all the way through the entire adventure path.

smbakeresq

Explorer
There are two parts left to do in order:
1. Finish the conversion of chapter 5. Currently only the custom creatures are there.
2. Go back through everything and do general cleanup, formatting, changing Kyuss worms to do necrotic damage vs. Intelligence damage, etc.

This is a bit of a low priority task at the moment. I have a larger project going on to get two different groups ready for Zeitgeist, and I had a big push to land a new job (which is now done). The project has not been abandoned, but there is currently enough there for someone to go all the way through the entire adventure path.

Having the Spawn of Kyuss (and rules for the Worms) come out in Kyuss is good timing for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Vienneau

Explorer
Running Blackwall Keep on Friday so I'm reviewing the big battle.

I'm really glad I did as I just spotted the DM Note that the lizardfolk should have 44hp instead of 22. 44! And there are 28 of them!

At least, there were - you've changed the 6 groups of 5 (including shaman + leader) to 4 groups of 6, 1 group of 5 + shaman, and 1 group of 3 + leader. So now there are 34. Were the numbers changed to make the math work out?

Any suggestions on handling the battle? Two groups try to break in the door and two try to climb the balcony, and if the PCs arrive, then one from each break off to engage - that's 12 44hp creatures! How did it play out in your campaign?

Tormyr

Adventurer
Running Blackwall Keep on Friday so I'm reviewing the big battle.

I'm really glad I did as I just spotted the DM Note that the lizardfolk should have 44hp instead of 22. 44! And there are 28 of them!

At least, there were - you've changed the 6 groups of 5 (including shaman + leader) to 4 groups of 6, 1 group of 5 + shaman, and 1 group of 3 + leader. So now there are 34. Were the numbers changed to make the math work out?

Any suggestions on handling the battle? Two groups try to break in the door and two try to climb the balcony, and if the PCs arrive, then one from each break off to engage - that's 12 44hp creatures! How did it play out in your campaign?

Yes, it was mostly for "balance." Although the balance of in this case was group by group rather than the whole battle. The party really has to deal with a few lizardfolk at a time to survive. The hp balance is to make the numbers work for later at the lizardfolk home. Without the boost to hp, there are too many lizardfolk in the different rooms. Area effect spells and items are one way of managing the large groups of lizardfolk as is not fighting. At my table, they managed to get one group with a bead from the necklace of fireballs and an amazing roll. They then fought through another group and made their way into the fort before beating back the enemy. One of the PCs was a half gnoll paladin of Heironeous that made bolas in his spare time. They managed to capture one of the fleeing lizardfolk with an amazing bolas throw and saving throw failure. Long story short, they managed to get on the lizardfolk's good side, and he guided them through the swamp and through their home where they killed the leader and he installed himself as the new king.

Remove ads