D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

smbakeresq

Explorer
I think I am going to make the players still cure themselves of the worms, as the worms would still be alive and inside them, just not take the damage except from the bite. This consumes resources, which is good. However, as Kyuss Worms are intelligent, I would think the they would notice the worms having no effect, therefore concentrate the worms on the non-immunes, as the 2d6 necrotic damage is per worm, so it will add up.

Vienneau

Explorer
Planning for Monday night in Sodden Hold...

D10 and D14 each have 11th level "illusory wall" spells cast that aren't converted. I assume they are permanent Major Image spells, but then a DC is needed to detect them (15?), though I believe people can also just walk through it.

Also, does anyone have keys in this dungeon? Every door is locked and hard to get through, leaving PCs stranded if they fail the Open Locks roll. Surely every doppleganger has a key, including Martal and Regim in the cells in D6?

Tormyr

Adventurer
Planning for Monday night in Sodden Hold...

1. D10 and D14 each have 11th level "illusory wall" spells cast that aren't converted. I assume they are permanent Major Image spells, but then a DC is needed to detect them (15?), though I believe people can also just walk through it.

2. Also, does anyone have keys in this dungeon? Every door is locked and hard to get through, leaving PCs stranded if they fail the Open Locks roll. Surely every doppleganger has a key, including Martal and Regim in the cells in D6?

There are a lot of things in the sodden hold that take several readings to understand in my opinion. The hardest part for me was the "water elevator."

1. Yes, these are created with major image, but I had forgotten to give Telakin the spell (no one has illusory wall in the original either). It is why he has a 6th-level spell slot (so he can make the illusions permanent). The DC is 15.

2. Telakin has a keyring with keys to every door, and Ilaxin (sp?) has a key to the warehouse. In general, it is reasonable for a nearby doppelganger to have a key to a door. In D6 the jailors should have keys to the cells and the doors in D7 and D9, but they could have it hidden somewhere. In D10 only the southern doors are locked, but if the PCs make noise, the doppelgangers inside unlock the doors and come out of the bedrooms. This could provide a key to the fake bedroom. The western door is not locked. Alternatively, the PCs should be able to bash down the doors pretty easily, but that causes noise and draws unwanted attention.

Vienneau

Explorer
We played again and have another session tomorrow.

1) Continual Flame torches are everywhere, and they're worth 50gp each! The greedy wizard is getting very excited about all the loot (I've been very stingy in general, so this is a windfall)

2) How does the water drain from area D9 when it's 50' below sea level? Magic suction pumps? And why would anyone go to such measures? It feels so random. I guess it hides the entrance really well? It also keeps out gaseous form creatures, as my PCs realized.

3) Where are the drain openings? More importantly, where is the opening for the octopus(es) to come through?

4) Why do the doppleganger prisoners attack when they are released? They know the next room is a death trap. I had them get weapons and armor from the PCs, and then attack when they trying to cross through the Invisible Stalkers. Much more effective. Too much so, as it turns out!

5) Holy crap are invisible stalkers dangerous! They can fly down, attack, and then retreat without triggering attacks of opportunity. Meanwhile PCs are falling into the water/swords and struggling in general. This room is a death trap!

6) The doppleganger prisoners take some explanation. Presumably there's an elaborate ruse when the guards change so that the elf noble doesn't see them enter and leave as guards?

7) Why is there a prison *and* a Hall of Deception with more prisoners? I'm starting to think that the ecology and logistics of this lair were not thought out, despite having a lavatory. :)

smbakeresq

Explorer
Ok, you know where invisible creatures are and you can attack them with disadvantage. Invisible creatures give away their position when they make and attack, see page 194 in PHB.

You do not know where HIDDEN creatures are, thus can’t target them at all. You can target a hidden creature by guessing where it is and attacking the square you think it is in.

Invisibility provides the condition to take the hide action and thus be hidden, unseen and unheard so undetectable by normal means, see page 177 the green sidebar.

Now a Paladin can use Branding Smite, when it hits then the creature is visible for the duration. Fairie Fire is great, every object in 20’ cube is outlined except creatures, who get a Dexterity saving throw. More mundane things include splattering ink all over a 5’ square, or even pitch or black oil to coat them.

It’s like the Invisible Man League of Extraordinary Gentleman when he puts the cold cream on. Eventually you will find them.

Last edited:

Vienneau

Explorer
Yeah, I re-read all of that afterwards.

The stalkers start out hidden.
They fly down with half their move and attack, then use the rest of their move to move away. You can't opportunity attack creatures you can't see (I believe this a rule somewhere).
So the PCs can tell where the stalker is, but it's up in the air so only range weapons work, and they're at disadvantage. And non-magical weapons do half damage. And a party of 4 has to carve through 200+ hp!

The monk is going to feel pretty useless in that battle...

Vienneau

Explorer
More questions after prepping for tomorrow:

8) D16 conversion notes don't mention an option to lower the wall with a disable device check. Intentional?

9) Telakin has a Wand of Cure Wounds. How does it work? Only usable by people who can cast Cure Wounds, 7 charges maximum, re-charge d6+1 charges? Anyone can use it? Only 3 charges max?

10) Telakin as a "Frost Great Axe". I think it just does 1d6 extra cold damage? It's not a Frostbrand?

11) As a 12th level caster with 18 INT, I think spell attacks are at +8, not +7? And the DC for spells is 16 not 15?

12) You mention protection from one type of energy attack, but don't mention casting it ahead of time anywhere.

13) D19 has two drow coming out the secret door. Presumably they've already levitated across the water? I thought this was an alternate entrance for the doppelgangers, but that doesn't work - they can't get to the secret door without using the barrel, which would then float aimlessly! And that's even assuming the water is in the room and not drained.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yeah, I re-read all of that afterwards.

The stalkers start out hidden.
They fly down with half their move and attack, then use the rest of their move to move away. You can't opportunity attack creatures you can't see (I believe this a rule somewhere).
So the PCs can tell where the stalker is, but it's up in the air so only range weapons work, and they're at disadvantage. And non-magical weapons do half damage. And a party of 4 has to carve through 200+ hp!

The monk is going to feel pretty useless in that battle...

The Opportunity Attack rules say you can’t attack what you can’t see, but the rules on targeting creatures you can’t see says they give away their position when they attack you. I would think you could attack them, or certainly ready an action to do so.

The room should have a 10’ ceiling, then the planks at elevation 0, then the water at -10’. If they are close they the planks you can reach them sometimes. Our monk just jumped from plank to plank but always at least 5’ up to attack them. It was a pain in the ass but they did ok.

Tormyr

Adventurer
We played again and have another session tomorrow.

1) Continual Flame torches are everywhere, and they're worth 50gp each! The greedy wizard is getting very excited about all the loot (I've been very stingy in general, so this is a windfall)

2) How does the water drain from area D9 when it's 50' below sea level? Magic suction pumps? And why would anyone go to such measures? It feels so random. I guess it hides the entrance really well? It also keeps out gaseous form creatures, as my PCs realized.

3) Where are the drain openings? More importantly, where is the opening for the octopus(es) to come through?

4) Why do the doppleganger prisoners attack when they are released? They know the next room is a death trap. I had them get weapons and armor from the PCs, and then attack when they trying to cross through the Invisible Stalkers. Much more effective. Too much so, as it turns out!

5) Holy crap are invisible stalkers dangerous! They can fly down, attack, and then retreat without triggering attacks of opportunity. Meanwhile PCs are falling into the water/swords and struggling in general. This room is a death trap!

6) The doppleganger prisoners take some explanation. Presumably there's an elaborate ruse when the guards change so that the elf noble doesn't see them enter and leave as guards?

7) Why is there a prison *and* a Hall of Deception with more prisoners? I'm starting to think that the ecology and logistics of this lair were not thought out, despite having a lavatory. :)

More questions after prepping for tomorrow:

8) D16 conversion notes don't mention an option to lower the wall with a disable device check. Intentional?

9) Telakin has a Wand of Cure Wounds. How does it work? Only usable by people who can cast Cure Wounds, 7 charges maximum, re-charge d6+1 charges? Anyone can use it? Only 3 charges max?

10) Telakin as a "Frost Great Axe". I think it just does 1d6 extra cold damage? It's not a Frostbrand?

11) As a 12th level caster with 18 INT, I think spell attacks are at +8, not +7? And the DC for spells is 16 not 15?

12) You mention protection from one type of energy attack, but don't mention casting it ahead of time anywhere.

13) D19 has two drow coming out the secret door. Presumably they've already levitated across the water? I thought this was an alternate entrance for the doppelgangers, but that doesn't work - they can't get to the secret door without using the barrel, which would then float aimlessly! And that's even assuming the water is in the room and not drained.

1. Most of the time I have constant everburning torches be something large and bulky, like a 1-foot square lantern.

2. Magic pump. The ways of those from the Far Realms are deep and mysterious.

3. D9 mentions several drains. The octopus escapes through one of those when the water drains or it is significantly injured.

4. Nice. They attacked in my game because the party was freeing the other prisoners and would have found their gear. So the doppelgangers attacked first.

5. D7is a very dangerous area for several reasons. When I go back to do cleanup, I think I might pull back on one of the invisible stalkers because of the environmental challenges. My players go to is for one of them to go into their disguise kit and throw talcum powder up into the air to spot invisible creatures.

6. Did elves have something other than Trance for a long rest in 3.5? My understanding is that the guards only changed when the prisoners were taken out or replaced.

7. You ask too many questions of the grand design of the illithid's lair! As the Monster Manual states, "You shouldn't use your brain to consider such irrational thoughts. They only make the the mind cluttered, confused, and unpleasantly chewy. A good brain is nice, tender, and barely used. ;)

I think the short answer is that the dungeon was designed with challenging the players in mind rather than being a livable space. This dungeon is more guilty of that than others, but chapter 2 was like this to a lesser extent. When you print a map and tie it to the description, space is limited, and things that are important for living in but are not important for the adventure get cut out first. Many dungeons do not have kitchens for example. So there could be a regular influx of creatures bringing food back to the dungeon, or the PCs could pose as Seamless delivery drivers to get the front door open. :)

8. I am not sure what wall you are talking about the northwest secret door is described in D13. It is hard to find but easy to open. The east and south walls have regular doors.

9. That is how I did it. Basically it duplicates a wand of magic missile with respect to how the charges work, but it instead has a range of touch. I would recommend not including it however unless they really need it. It made things remarkably easy for my players between that and the wand of healing word they got in chapter 1 (cure minor wounds in 3.5).

10. Yes, just the extra cold damage. Frostbrand has extra goodies.

11. Proficiency bonus increases based on challenge rating for monsters, but you are right anyway as CR9 is +4 to proficiency.

12. Yes, protection from energy should have a star (*) as well.

13. D19 is a secret entrance coming in from the sewers and could be a secret entrance for both Drow and doppelgangers. It is only a 10 foot jump from the entrance to the central pillar, and most creatures can make that. I put the secret entrance at the top of D9 with the water raised. When the party exits, they come out on the walkway and are attacked by arrows. If the drow really want to, they can swim to get to the party.

Remove ads