D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

smbakeresq

Explorer
A break check wouldn’t technically be damage, but you have to touch it unless they use a battering ram. Use help actions to give the attacker advantage to land a critical hit. Once you break it everyone is safe right? I don’t have module with me.

I think the idea IIRC was if anyone got trapped everyone has to attack it hoping they break it before everyone gets trapped.

smbakeresq

Explorer
We have a group that is the Group Of Saves, with a Monk and a Paladin to boost saves and PC paranoia to take all precautions. It shouldn’t be too much of a hurdle. If a PC was in the chest and the Paladin is in range I would give them a boost.

Vienneau

Explorer
After all that worry, they remembered to try Dispel Magic.

They only had one spell slot left, and if they did a long rest, the player in the box would die from the d4/hour ability score drain. I decided to go with 1/hr to give them a chance. They had bardic inspiration to enhance the Dispel Magic, which had a DC of 19.

...and they made it! Whew!

They then took on the Pitchblade Barbarians and it was trivial due to some failed saving throws on my part. One barbarian was stunned by the monk for two rounds and they pounded on him. The other was turned into a fish by Polymorph. Meanwhile the druid and bard summons mephits and animated objects to deal damage. Wasn't fair at all.

...so that night the barbarians snuck in to get revenge! Surely this time they would make their saving throws?

Turns out, not so much. But the bard just wanted to sleep, so he cast Calm Emotions and the Druid cast Suggestion, and they got the angry barbarians apologizing for interrupting them and they'll come back to fight them after the games in public where their redemption for so easily being defeated can be more visible.

I was getting excited about my hasted, raging, frenzied barbarians with 4 attacks a round, but action economy took them out. We'll see how the semi-finals go!

Tormyr

Adventurer
After all that worry, they remembered to try Dispel Magic.

They only had one spell slot left, and if they did a long rest, the player in the box would die from the d4/hour ability score drain. I decided to go with 1/hr to give them a chance. They had bardic inspiration to enhance the Dispel Magic, which had a DC of 19.

...and they made it! Whew!

They then took on the Pitchblade Barbarians and it was trivial due to some failed saving throws on my part. One barbarian was stunned by the monk for two rounds and they pounded on him. The other was turned into a fish by Polymorph. Meanwhile the druid and bard summons mephits and animated objects to deal damage. Wasn't fair at all.

...so that night the barbarians snuck in to get revenge! Surely this time they would make their saving throws?

Turns out, not so much. But the bard just wanted to sleep, so he cast Calm Emotions and the Druid cast Suggestion, and they got the angry barbarians apologizing for interrupting them and they'll come back to fight them after the games in public where their redemption for so easily being defeated can be more visible.

I was getting excited about my hasted, raging, frenzied barbarians with 4 attacks a round, but action economy took them out. We'll see how the semi-finals go!

The bard in our WotBS game just hit a level high enough to learn animate objects which he casts on a stack of 10 copper coins. We call them his "murder coins".

In our game the barbarians also came at night to get revenge. Our group didn't feel like they deserved to be calmed down though. Well done on your players' part to come up with that idea.

Vienneau

Explorer
The bard in our WotBS game just hit a level high enough to learn animate objects which he casts on a stack of 10 copper coins. We call them his "murder coins".

In our game the barbarians also came at night to get revenge. Our group didn't feel like they deserved to be calmed down though. Well done on your players' part to come up with that idea.

Our bard used silver pieces.

At the beginning, when the barbarians are taunting and insulting them, he walked over and tossed the coins as the barbarians feet and said, "this is so you can buy yourself better insults" and then walked away. I was really impressed with his dramatic role playing.

I was even *more* impressed when as a first round action, he animated the coins to attack. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

Josie Sewell

Villager
I've been using your conversions for running a game for my group, and they are a godsend!! We're halfway through the Whispering Cairn, and I just wanted to say thanks!
Josie

Remove ads