D&D 5E AI Dungeon Master

Cergorach

The Laughing One
When does the AI player come out to complete this?
While funny, I can understand the appeal of an AI DM. Sometimes you just want to play D&D and no one wants to DM. I see that as playing Heroquest vs playing Gloomhaven, the first requires an DM and the second doesn't. Gloomhaven is a great game to play DMless. I just wonder if a pnp RPG is the right choice to play DMless... But it seems that the AI DM still requires a human DM. Maybe call it an AI Co-DM?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
When does the AI player come out to complete this?
Probably a joke but I think feeding an AI a PC, and a transcript of what they've done in the past, might be useful if a player is absent one night and they're OK with the AI playing their PC that night so the game can proceed. Might work out better than "Fred's just standing in the corner this session" or "Can anyone play Fred tonight too?"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
@ThomasDelvus welcome to the site, hope you get help but be warned that we have several threads on the evil of AI taking over the world and how it is tied to Skynet. It may just be a vocal minority with that point though.
No, we don’t. We have a lot of threads about the actual dangers of LLMs, which have nothing to do with them magically becoming actual artificial intelligence a la sky net and everything to do with eliminating jobs, accelerating the information literacy crisis, and using up absurd amounts of non-renewable resources to do it.

But, go ahead and make your AI DM or whatever. How individual people use these LLMs is really not the important issue.

aco175

Legend
No, we don’t. We have a lot of threads about the actual dangers of LLMs, which have nothing to do with them magically becoming actual artificial intelligence a la sky net and everything to do with eliminating jobs, accelerating the information literacy crisis, and using up absurd amounts of non-renewable resources to do it.

But, go ahead and make your AI DM or whatever. How individual people use these LLMs is really not the important issue.
Sometimes I wish we had a- Run Chicken Little emoji that I could have put at the end of my post, or at least a Tongue-in-Cheek one.

Gus L

Explorer
I've met some folks working on using Large Language Models to run individual text based games. To me it seems like one of the less awful uses of the technology that might be interesting and isn't just a scam to sell magic beans to MBAs with the promise that they can fire all their annoying employees and let the "AI" do the work.

In the context of solo Computer RPGs I'm curious to see what bubbles up. In the context of my own group RPGs I have zero interest.

Remove ads