AI in Gaming (a Poll) [+]

In your opinion, what are some acceptable uses of AI in the gaming industry?

• AI-generated images (book art, marketing, video game textures, board games, etc.) are acceptable.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • AI-generated 3d models (for video games and VTTs), are acceptable.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • AI-generated writing (books, ad copy, descriptions, etc) is acceptable.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Adaptive dialogue (for NPCs in video games and VTTs) is acceptable.

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • Adaptive damage/difficulty (the game adjusts difficulty to your level, for example) is acceptable.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Adaptive behaviors (NPCs, enemies, etc. react and change their tactics) is acceptable

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Procedurally-generated maps (dungeon generators, rouge-like game levels) are acceptable.

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • Procedurally-generated challenges (traps, monsters, whole encounters) are acceptable.

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Procedurally-generated rewards (item drops, random treasures) are acceptable.

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Other acceptable use(s), see below.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • There are no acceptable uses of AI.

Votes: 16 22.5%

Sparkle_cz

Explorer
I should also add that the group of writers in my area that doesn't suffer from the budget issue that much are OSR writers. Their target audience is into alternative, "crooked" artwork, so an OSR writer with zero budget can just splatter some paint in a vague shape of some nightmarish creature and call it high art and customers will flock to it :)
I'm not mad at these writers, just envy them a bit :D

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
so an OSR writer with zero budget can just splatter some paint in a vague shape of some nightmarish creature and call it high art and customers will flock to it
I always found Scrap Princess' art to be terrible childish splatter, and she's all over every trendy OSR book, so it definitely can work. That may not be a popular opinion.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Latest numbers, according to the opinions of EN World members:
  • Generative AI is still the least-acceptable kind of AI, with an approval rate between 17% to 32% (26% average). [-1%]
  • Adaptive AI remains somewhere in the middle with a 42% to 65% approval rate (53% average). [-4%]
  • Procedural AI is still the most-acceptable kind of AI, with a 59% to 71% approval rate (63% average). [-4%]
  • And all forms of AI are unacceptable to nearly 1 in 4 voters (23%). [+3]

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
My vote reflects what would be acceptable in a general TTRPG product, like a book or website. I would accept everything in an AI game-master, as long as it works well. I don't think I want AI players, but I can't say I'd object to others who wanted that.

Remove ads