Airwalkrr's Greyhawk D&D 3.5 - Maure Castle OOC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You're right. I had thought I recalled something like that and looked it up the other day but couldn't find it. I forgot to consult the sidebar.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
As a general rule, I dislike the entire concept behind weapon crystals and in addition I feel they are underpriced. If you really want the ability behind the least weapon crystal of return, you can have it as a +1 enhancement to a weapon.

Re: ancestral relic. That's fine if you can afford the enhancements, but I'm still not going to let you add any abilities that you wouldn't normally have access to. You know the rituals needed to add common enhancements like +1/+2, flaming, or thundering. Other rituals are harder to come by, so it is NOT just a matter of having the money. I didn't allow you the ancestral relic feat so that you could bypass the restrictions to magic item enhancements that apply to everyone else.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Rathan]There is a powerful mage in the World of Greyhawk known as the Mage of the Vale or the Mage of the Valley. He dwells in the lands west of Greyhawk to the north of the Grand Duchy of Geoff. The Valley of the Mage, as it is now called, was once under the rulership of the Duke of Geoff, but has recently become an independent fief ruled by the Mage. The Mage of the Vale is actually a scion of the royal family of the former Great Kingdom (which was sundered into two nations as a result of the Greyhawk Wars about ten years ago). However, he was banished from his homeland as a result of a failed coup many years ago. He wandered the Flanaess (the main continent on the world of Oerth) for many years before finally settling into the vale which now carries his name.

The Vale of the Mage is a land locked in secrecy. The valley elves and gnomes who live there are unquestioningly loyal to the Mage and outsiders are rarely welcome. The Mage, known by his real name (Jaran Krimeeah) to only a handful of individuals, carries on research and experiments relating to the Plane of Shadow in the privacy of the Vale. His lieutenant, a spellcaster known as Tysiln San, is responsible for security within the Vale. She is a beautiful, but conniving dark elf who serves the Mage with something akin to an obsession. While Tysiln is responsible for keeping matters at home under control, the Mage has agents in many parts of the Flanaess doing research, hunting for magic items, and just keeping him apprised of the goings on around the world.

I was thinking perhaps you are part of a clandestine group that serves the Mage of the Vale. The group could be called the Onyx Magi of the Vale. Maybe Onyx Vale is shorthand. The Onyx Vale is a small number of arcane casters who report to Tysiln and ultimately the Mage himself on different matters from time to time. Your character's role in the organization would be something like a leader, although the organization would have no hierarchy. Kal-fen would simply be the most respected member of the group. You would have a gold ring set with an onyx gem that identifies you as a member of this organization. The ring carries the power to create an effect similar to Rary's telepathic bond once per week. It allows the wearer to communicate telepathically with any other wearer of the ring for a period of one hour regardless of distance so long as both communicants are wearing their rings. Kal-fen uses this ring to report to either Tysiln (usually) or the Mage. Kal-fen's ongoing mission is reconnaissance, to keep the Mage apprised of major events in the central Flanaess. On occasion he has been asked to perform other tasks.

What do you think of that?[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Its not a bypass, Ancestral Relic is essentially just an item creation feat that only applies to a single item. You said the others with item creation feats could research items from the MIC, so I don't see why I couldn't do the same.

IMHO the augment crystals are specifically designed so that a physical type character doesn't have to carry around an entire armory to be ready for more than a couple situations. Mages can have 20 spells to help them survive just about any type of encounter, but the rest of us are kind of limited on how many things we are ready for.

Rathan

First Post
Love it Air.... I will refrain from putting it into my character history however I WILL add the info to my character sheet here at home so I can remember contact into when needed. Thank you for helping me with this organization as I know little of the Greyhawk world.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Those with item creation feats have been allowed to do research, but such research is by no means guaranteed as I am certain both of them will attest. Both have spent gold on research only to find that their research failed or that the item wouldn't work the way they wanted. I'm actually doing you a favor by telling you flat-out that augment crystals aren't allowed or that you can't add everbright. I could have let you waste 10% of the cost of the items in research just to tell you they won't work.

Ancestral Relic lets you add DMG enhancements only. End of discussion.

FYI, I don't get off on the whole "belittle the DM into agreeing with you" bit. I do things my way. I'm not Burger King.

Rathan

First Post
Change to Character:

As much as I like the Voracious Dispelling [Lesser] invocation I feel really at our level it will quickly become useless before I really realize so before I use this invocation would it possible to switch it with Walk Unseen which I think I will get MUCH more use out of Air please?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
It's okay with me, but I advise you to reconsider. Not having a method to dispel magical effects is a serious weakness for a party of your level to have. If you are under the impression that all spell effects you encounter will be impossibly high to dispel, you are mistaken. Even against a boss several levels higher than you, a targeted dispel has the potential to remove several spell effects, especially if the boss has many spell effects active. There are other uses for dispelling as well, such as suppressing magical traps.

Rathan

First Post
hmmmm... I guess you do have a point there.. and being able to use it whenever the hell I feel like it could prove much much useful than any slotted spell...... I'll leave it as is for now I guess.. however having the ability to be invisible is nice too heh...

Remove ads