Airwalkrr's Greyhawk: The Forgotten Depths of Kulkanor IC

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Riftcrag, city of sin, vice, and avarice. Overlooking the grand Rift Canyon in the center of the Bandit Lands, this city, built on the ruins of an ancient giant fortress, serves as the haven for thieves, brigands, ruffians, and worse. Gnoll soldiers patrol the streets, acting more like bullies than the police force they are supposed to be. The gnolls intimidate local folk, extort hefty "protection" payments, and generally cause a nuisance to any travelers. This is a place that truly follows the Golden Rule: whoever has the gold makes the rule. And gold is a scarce and coveted thing. It changes hands in this city of cutthroats more often than it stays in one place. Nothing that isn't nailed down is safe, and even those things nailed down are vulnerable to a determined thief's crowbar. The city's ruler, Plar Lintoff, is known more as a grifter and thug than as a kind or generous regent. He makes no attempt to control the bullying of the gnolls under his command. Most people believe he actually encourages it, and skims money off the top of their extortion schemes.

And yet, in this place of corruption and lawlessness, there is the chance for those of pure intent to shine. A good deed may not go unrewarded with undue attention from the wrong sort, but it is such a rarity that it is appreciated by the downtrodden more than it would be in more lawful places like Furyondy or the Shield Lands. And trouble in this place continually abounds. There is much good to be done here and many causes to champion, if one knows how to do so judiciously. It is this that has brought you to this place. The weak must be protected, and evil must not be allowed to reign free.

You discover a number of matters of immediate import as you arrive in town. But one catches your attention more than others. The people of the city are deathly afraid of traveling through the Rift Canyon for fear of attack by vicious humanoids. Kobold raids are the most talked about. But you have heard tales of ugly troglodytes, renegade gnolls who have deserted Lintoff's forces, man-eating trolls, and worse. The attacks all seem to originate from a dungeon at the base of the canyon, known to most as the Forgotten Depths of Kulkanor. The locals describe the place to you as a place of much legend, laden with traps, ancient magic, and ruled by a dark elf prince who fancies himself a conjurer. The tales you have heard span from the fantastic to the inconceivable, but one element is shared in every story. The giant Kulkanor was a powerful one, and within his dungeon long ago he hoarded many treasures, treasures which are speculated by all accounts to still remain. It seems like a way to help out the locals, earn a name for yourself, and become rich in the process.

Gathering up what supplies and pack animals you deemed necessary, you secured directions to the dungeon from the source you believed most reliable (directions which nevertheless cost you a pretty penny) and set out for the journey. After a long descent into the canyon along treacherous pathways and unstable bridges, you finally reached the base of the canyon and began to travel along the bank of a narrow stream flowing through the middle. Around midday, you passed a large rock in the shape of a leering goblin, a landmark you were told would herald your proximity to the dungeon's entrance. A short distance away, you found a weathered gate of massive stone doors upon which giantish runes were scribed. The door was covered with graffiti in various monstrous tongues and many of the original giantish runes had been worn away by the elements, but the edifice was impressive nonetheless. Despite this, those of you able to speak in the giantish tongue were able to decipher the following across the top of the doors, "Herein lies the chamber of mighty Kulkanor, ruler of giants and all lesser creatures. Tremble before his awesome might and be prepared prostrate yourself in submission to his will."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not knowing what the gylph's and graffiti says Hanon adjust the strap on his shield casting about nervously.

"We..We..Well were here," he says breaking the silence and his words seem all the louder for it. Cringing at the sound of his own voice as it echoes throughout the cavern he takes to adjusting his strap once more.

Though his head is down his eyes are casted up so he can see Valeska, the beauty always seeming to draw his eyes. The elf Thamior (the first elf Hanon has ever met) catches the young priest looking and Hanon turns away cheeks blushing.

[sblock=OOC] I could look at Leelee all day LOL. :eek: [/sblock]

[sblock=spells]
1st lvl:
Bless
Cure light wounds
Cure light wounds [/sblock]

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]
Airwalkrr: which giantish tongue? (Not that it matters for the setup)
HolyMan: Yeah, we're blessed by Leelee's turn as Joan of Arc.
[/sblock]

Keeping her gaze upon the doors, she does not detect the stare as she replies, "Indeed we are."

She dismounts from her steed and carefully brushes his mane. She stores her lance on the mount, keeping her sword and mace. Tenderly, she leans close to her horse's ear and whispers, "Akoma, dear friend, deep in the bowels of the earth is no place for a horse. Stay here, and guard the entrance. But run back to town if you have to, and forage if you must. I would hate for anything bad to happen to you." She pets Akoma's neck and kisses his muzzle. Placing her meager 6 gp in a small pouch on the saddle, she ties a ribbon to it, labeled "For Provisions."

She straps on her shield, and wipes her sword. She is ready.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I hate horses!" The dwarf had been grumbling and complaining about the horses all the way to the dungeon. "We shulda marched on our own feet, instead of sittin' in the backs of these beasts! *grumble* Nwets 'n snots!"
With a lousy move Muzdum gets down from the poor Luth's horse that has been arying him all the way here, and lands clumsingly, tripping with a lose stone.
He secures his equipment, and tests the hilt of his sword.
"Well what does it says 'ere, lets see..." mumbles the dwarf as he approaches the entrance.
"Herein lies di chamber o' mighty Kulkanor, ruler o' giants and al' lesser creatures. Tremble before 'is awesome might and be prepared prostrate yerself in submission to 'is will." the dwarf reads. "Ha! and he's dead like a rock now, stupid giants." Muzdum coments with a chuckle.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The huddled figure at the dungeon entrance shifts as the others approach. He sits up straight, his legs still crossed, and draws the hood back from his head, revealing his hairless head. He smiles, and opens his eyes, or at least what should be eyes. Instead he reveals two black orbs that for some are disconcerting, suggesting that something supernatural (or perhaps supernal) has come between him-as-he-is and the rest of humankind. Still, the smile seems sincere, and he reaches for the pole lying in the dust beside him.

"Well met, friends. Perhaps there is room for another in your company?"

He rises, supporting himself with the pole in his hand. As he dusts himself off and shoulders the backpack that had lain beside him, his hand unconsciously reaches for the large rectangular shape that lies within. His fingers touch two of the corners and then shift to the buckle. When he feels it is secured, he is assured, and continues.

"My name is Kit, and if there were room for another I would welcome capable companions on the journey."

Voda Vosa

First Post
The dwarf cast a suspicious gaze upon the mage "Well I dinna know, der's somethin' odd 'but ye mate, what's wit' di eyes ah?" Muzdum passes his hand over his own eyes, but he remains at guard before the stranger.

possum

First Post
Thamior stretches his legs as he dismounts his horse, not noticing Hanon's stare. From one of the saddlebags he removes a two-foot bag of leather full of supplies and other provisions. "Indeed we are here, at last," he says in response to Hanon's breaking of the silence. He looks at Kit, the newcomer to the group, but most of all at his eyes. He's slightly unnerved at them at first glance, but quickly disguises it. "I would appreciate an extra hand for this," he replies as Musdum translates some of the writing on the wall.

"Seems to be a tomb of some sort, I'd imagine," Thamior says as he pulls out a small box from his bag. He rummages through it for a few seconds before emerging with the needed tool. Standing near the entrance to the dungeon, he begins a quick search for any traps laid to waylay unwelcome visitors.

OOC: I'm away from my books at the moment, so I'll post the Invisible Castle rolls tonight.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
"You're always welcome to walk, Muzdum," Luth says. "I wouldn't really mind if we'd all walked, except for you stubby little legs would have made it take twice as long."

He looks at Kit. "So do you just hang out around dungeon entrances waiting for a party to come by? What if we're all evil cannibals? Don't worry, we're not. Or I'm a great liar. We haven't been here for very long, but I wouldn't pick the Bandit Kingdoms as the place to hang around and wait for friendly but violent people to wander by."

Luth draws his sword and readies his shield, then takes a position to step up and protect Thamior if something comes charging out of the dungeon entrance.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]The runes are actually in most all of the giantish tongues. Stone giant, fire giant, hill giant to name a few.

I went ahead and rolled Thamior's search for traps check.

Kobold Stew, a low-level mage traveling alone in the Bandit Kingdoms is a strange thing indeed. And it appears your only weapon is a dagger. Perhaps you'd like to come up with a story for how you are alone and not with the group from the start? Also, please list the spell you have memorized for the day in your next post.[/sblock]

Thamior carefully examines the entrance but sees no traps of any kind. However, opening the stone doors may present itself as a problem. The doors are truly massive, clearly designed for a giant to open, not a mere man. Each door is more than a meter in width and several meters high. Depending on the thickness of the doors, they could easily weigh a ton or more.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Valeska smiles and shakes her head. "Do not worry, Luth. Kit does not speak with evil in his heart. And, Kit, neither do we."

She turns to gaze at the strange man. "Yet, despite some idea of what you are not, there is still little idea of what you are. If you are looking to help, perhaps you can assist us in opening these?"

Valeska stands before the doors, looking for a good handhold. She turns to Muzdum. "Prostrate yourself, you say?" She crouches, looking carefully at the bottom of the door. "How would these doors swing, Muzdum? Would there be enough space to get under them?"

Remove ads