D&D 5E Ajit George discusses the origin of the Radiant Citadel

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh? Good question.
I assume it's "DM secrets" from the book, about what is really going on with the Radiant Citadel. But he also suggests that this connects to future books, and I wonder if that means more compilations with WotC, DMsGuild expansion material, or maybe the upcoming WotC books this year,, similar to how Candlekeep dovetailed well with Strixhaven...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The current, most plausible speculation is that the First World is going to be one of the new settings WotC will launch next year. Hence all the hints and breadcrumbs about it. Or they're trying to build a...shudder...metaplot into the game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The current, most plausible speculation is that the First World is going to be one of the new settings WotC will launch next year. Hence all the hints and breadcrumbs about it. Or they're trying to build a...shudder...metaplot into the game.
Metaplot, doubtful. The "First World" speculation is on the forums, but I don't see a lot to it based on what'sin Fizban's, though the Radiant Citadel could turn out to be Saridor's body (the identity of the fozzilized being is probably part of what was [redacted] here, at least).

There's certainly not going to be a metaplot, WotC has rejected that model, and hard. Threads that can be connected at a DMs discretion, possibly.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I mean, maybe, UT we ha e no indication ao far that there are any further plans for the "First World" beyond a couple pages in Fizbans.
And the sidebar in Tasha's about traveling to other worlds.

I'm pretty sure that the "first world" idea is something the devs are enjoying referencing. Whether they ever decide to make it ground truth or continue to leave it as "some people say" and make their cosmology compatible with it without ever going beyond that remains to be seen. (I prefer that personally - it's a fun little idea but I'd prefer it to remain an unprovable background element rather than something that's actually going to drive adventures).

ETA: BTW - the Tasha's sidebar has real "Spelljammer confirmed" energy in one part of it

Transit between these worlds is rare but not impossible and can be accomplished in various ways. One such method is called the Great Journey, an epic voyage fraught with peril and littered with obstacles to be overcome. This journey most often occurs aboard a vessel powered by magic.

Last edited:

Seeing that original design, it makes me feel better. My mapping skills are utterly atrocious, and it's kinda reassuring to know that even in Wizards of the Coast you also have people that can't draw a straight line or circle to save their lives.

Remove ads