DDAL AL Adventures That Form Mid-size Story Arcs

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This an offshoot of a conversation I was having with @Hurin88 on another thread. Hurin (and several others) were wishing for the days of published adventures that were meant to cover three or four levels--something in between a one-shot and a full campaign. I mentioned that several of the AL seasons included series that could be strung together to form the kind of arc they were wanting, and as an example, I mentioned DDAL04-02 through DDAL04-04. I'll cut and paste my description of the story arc below.

(DDAL04-02, "The Beast") The PCs arrive in a small town in Barovia, where they are asked to find out what happened to a husband-and-wife pair of fur trappers who are missing, with a massive winter storm due to roll into town soon. Investigation reveals that the pregnant wife killed her husband in self-defense after he learned that their baby would inherit her lycanthropy and attacked her. They probably have to fight the wife when she loses her hold on her humanity and reverts to wolf form.

(DDAL04-03, "The Executioner") When the PCs return to town, they encounter a mysterious man who is searching for a particular wooden box. After a few encounters, they realize this is the fur trapper, who has been raised as a wight and given a hat of disguise to conceal his identity. This leads to a showdown with the trapper and his ghouls, but the question of who raised him and why is not answered.

(DDAL04-04, "The Marionette") The PCs meet the local healer, a formerly wealthy woman who lives in a decrepit mansion on the edge of town. Then they are summoned to a meeting with the burgomaster, as a Vistani fortuneteller has mentioned their names during a reading. They are invited to participate in a dream ritual in which they travel back in time to when the mansion was in use and meet the healer's daughter, a child who died several years before. When they come out of their trance, they are asked to rescue a local girl who has been kidnapped by the healer. They must enter the mansion, where the healer is attempting to transfer the soul of her dead daughter into the kidnapped girl, and rescue the girl before the ritual can be completed. Afterward, they learn that the box was an artifact traded by the healer to a mysterious benefactor in return for the knowledge of the soul-transfer ritual, and the healer raised the fur trapper to act as her agent in finding it.

I haven't read or played all of the AL adventures, so I thought I'd start a thread where people could list some of the other mini-arcs for the benefit of people who might be looking to drop that sort of thing into their home games. Can anyone else suggest (and perhaps summarize) groups of AL adventures that make similar arcs?

Last edited:

From what I remember of the first few years of AL play is that before Season 4, there were no direct connections from one scenario to the next and they could be played in any order. After Season 4 more of these connected arcs started appearing. And I think all the scenarios published by Baldman Games are done in arcs of three or four.

tommybahama

Adventurer
I played in DDAL-09 Escape from Elturgard at a convention. Since it was written as four one hour mini-adventures for level 1 or 2 characters, we could level up once between mini adventures if we started at level 1 and then once more after part four to get to level 3. It was an excellent adventure btw.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Im one session short of finishing dming for my players DDAL-EL series Embers of the Last War set in Eberron. All available on the dmsguild. It has 12 11 parts plus a prequel, they are meant to play as an ongoing story. They are generally well done. My players have had a blast and since they are designed for AL play you can play each part as a single session. My players like roleplaying so it has taken a little bit longer to finish. In two weeks we play the end of the series and it will be session 15. The series takes players from lvl 1 to lvl 10 so there is a speedy progression. I encourage fans those who like Eberron at least to take a look at it. The vast majority of the series takes place in Sharn so its a very urban adventure.

Edit: So I don’t know if you guys would consider this mid size but is way shorter than the published Adventure paths.

Last edited:

Hurin70

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this, Jayoungr.

I am indeed looking for adventures that are roughly the length of earlier edition modules, such as Master of the Desert Nomads (level 6-9) or Keep on the Borderlands (levels 1-3). I'm calling these 'intermediate adventures', which I define as substantially more than one session's play, but less than a full campaign/adventure path.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
This is a continuous story arc for levels 1-4:
AL05-02 - The Black Road
AL05-03 - Uninvited Guests
AL05-06 - Beneath the Fetid Chelimber
AL05-07 - Chelimber's Descent
AL05-10 - Giant Diplomacy
AL05-12 - Bad Business in Parnast
AL05-16 - Parnast Under Seige

This is a continuous story arc for levels 5-10:
AL05-04 - In Dire Need
AL05-05 - A Dish Best Served Cold
AL05-11 - Forgotten Tradition
AL05-13 - Jarl Rising
AL05-17 - Hartkiller's Horn

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I think this search gets most of them. Not sure if it’s all of them.
Looks like they basically all have "BMG" in the title?

Here's another series I've been eyeing, although I haven't had a chance to read/run/play it. Looks like they're for levels 8-10 or so:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases