Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Hashim

First Post
[MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] I too would like to return to this! I do think we'll need to charge given the amount of work it will take; fortunately, DMs Guild has now set up a way to split funds among multiple authors, which solves a dilemma we were facing.

I'm chatting with M.T.Black and Jeremy about an improved playtest process, because I haven't been getting the feedback I was hoping for from current playtesters.

[MENTION=6922621]Hashim[/MENTION] [MENTION=6916660]eainmonster[/MENTION] I'm working on updating the playtest document bundle; there's a lot to update! Probably will get it done in time for New Years.

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Hashim

First Post
So sorry for the late response guys. Here's what I have available at this time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BwrBuKP4qjcG5oM1hiTDJ3YXc

Please let me know if the link works and/or if you'd like more stuff. Most of what we've made should be in that folder (including the spells).

I should say, the Elemental Evil spells are included in there because this is the folder I used with my Al-Qadim game at home. As you can see, the project still needs a lot of work and we all have moved on to different things it seems. I would love to see a revival of the project at some point in the future.

Amazing! Thank you very much!

eainmonster

First Post
So sorry for the late response guys. Here's what I have available at this time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BwrBuKP4qjcG5oM1hiTDJ3YXc

Please let me know if the link works and/or if you'd like more stuff. Most of what we've made should be in that folder (including the spells).

I should say, the Elemental Evil spells are included in there because this is the folder I used with my Al-Qadim game at home. As you can see, the project still needs a lot of work and we all have moved on to different things it seems. I would love to see a revival of the project at some point in the future.

I will happily take any material you'd care to offer!

Jason Gignac

First Post
Not sure how the schedule is looking on all this, but was curious if anyone is working on the history, to bring it up to the same present as the rest of the 5E world. I am not much of a stats person - I wouldn't be the best monster creator or class designer - but I'd love to be able to help with straight up writing. I have done a moderate amount of reading Middle Eastern and Central Asian history, and a good deal of knowledge about fairy tales, which being as there's so much 1001 Nights flavor in the original of Al-Qadim, might be apropos, I hope? I'd be glad to start working up a chronology and perhaps some suggestions on how the nation has changed since the original material was published (and how it hasn't).

If we've worked out some thoughts on interim history, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, just looked like mostly it was mechanical aspects, and excellent work on that!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Not sure how the schedule is looking on all this, but was curious if anyone is working on the history, to bring it up to the same present as the rest of the 5E world. I am not much of a stats person - I wouldn't be the best monster creator or class designer - but I'd love to be able to help with straight up writing. I have done a moderate amount of reading Middle Eastern and Central Asian history, and a good deal of knowledge about fairy tales, which being as there's so much 1001 Nights flavor in the original of Al-Qadim, might be apropos, I hope? I'd be glad to start working up a chronology and perhaps some suggestions on how the nation has changed since the original material was published (and how it hasn't).

If we've worked out some thoughts on interim history, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, just looked like mostly it was mechanical aspects, and excellent work on that!

There was some discussion about this while back, but the fact of the matter is, Al-Qadim was an uncomfortable tack-on to the Forgotten Realms from the get-go. The AQ calendar in no way connected with the FR calendar, so realistically there is no reason why the early 90s AQ publications couldn't be considered "resent-day" with the current FR stuff.

I think Quickleaf was working on some kind of module that would shoehorn all the FR multiple world-rending events onto Al-Qadim, but I don't know what the status of that project is. And since the AQ concept of gods was pretty substantially different from the common D&D/FR approach of "REALLY big monsters," I don't see how the Time of Troubles and all that gobbledygook would even fit in.

But that's why he was working on that product and not me.

For my part, I did writeups of all the cities and towns and desert tribes, and stats for some of the setting's iconic creatures, but that was done well over a year ago. I have repurposed the janni I developed into a different product and put other stuff up on DMSGuild at this point.

To be honest, I thought this whole project was defunct months and months ago.

Al-Qadim wise, there's some decent stuff up on DMs Guild if you're interested. http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172575/AlQadim-Archetypes-Scimitars-Against-the-Dark has a bunch of good stuff, as does http://www.dmsguild.com/product/176752/Seers-of-Zakhara-AlQadim--Forgotten-Realms.

A bit of searching on the site will track down a bunch more, too; I recommend "sha'ir" and "zakhara" as good places to start.

Last edited:

AmerAQT

First Post
I’m so glad you guys are doing this. I’d 100% buy it if it comes out. our table is all Arabs. european settings and great and all but having a setting like Zakhara (btw I’m defo changing the continent name sheesh) with so much familiarity to what we know is definitely something we’d love

Tallifer

Hero
Now I just need to figure a way to use this fantastic stuff in my Eberron campaign. Maybe this can be my version of Sarlona (I was never very excited by the scifi distopia of that island: let the Quori be mad Genies instead.)

Remove ads