• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AL VS LFR of 4th and why I'm so disappointed

But, for my example at least, I'd rather Skerrit write another cool mod (which I like his mods),

Thanks, check out these three premiering this weekend at Winter Fantasy!

DDEX3-14 Death on the Wall - Style heavily influence by shadowrun (also the T1 season 3 finale and part 2 of Six Knives for Torin Nomerthal)
DDEX3-16 Assault on Maerimydra - Half BI/half crawl with a dash of Elisande and goat for good measure (also the T3 season 3 finale)
DDAO3 The Taming of Elisande (follows the events of DDEX3-16)

I asked this once before - SHOW me a broken Genasi/SCAG combo that does not mimic the Human Variant scenarios I provided earlier in this thread. I know that the person above will not see this, I am asking for a proponent of that viewpoint to prove to me that a Genasi/SCAG build breaks the game. Otherwise that particular assertation is just bovine fecal matter.

We want to avoid LG NONC lists that went on for 40 pages. If we must every allowed combo (that some how the Admins determine isn't broken), it will be much longer and impossible to keep track of. The method of you can only use two sources is much easier on the DM.

kalani

First Post
I should also point out that there are already a few combos that border on broken already and it wouldn't take much to tip them over the edge and these combos are from the PHB alone. The most powerful example I know of personally is one I am using myself in order to test its limits in a controlled fashion.

Moon Druid 2 / Bear totem Barbarian 5 + Sentinel feat. This combo gives you a dire wolf with extra attack, unarmored defense, sentinel, rage and resist all except psychic. At Druid 6/Barb 5 this combo gives you a giant elk with extra attack, bear rage and sentinel.

Add an insignia of claws from a season 1 adventure and your attacks are also magical even at low levels (before you hit Druid 6).

It it wouldn't take much to completely break this combo and while EEPC + SCAG don't add anything to it, future content is likely to (Esp when combined with multiple rules sources and not just PHB + one rules source)

Sigh. As we have said repeatedly - the story origin mechanic predates both Genasi and SCAG. Bringing up a corner case that isn't broken doesn't justify removing the rule because it doesn't address the reasons for the rule:

Story origins exist to prevent POTENTIALLY broken combinations that MAY OCCUR when multiple rules sources are combined.

The fact that no such combinations have occurred YET does not change the fact that they might still occur in the FUTURE. In fact, with each new product released, the odds of this occurring increase exponentially.

Your argument regarding EEPC + SCAG is only relevant to discussions that mixing those two rules sources does not result in broken combinations. It does nothing to prove that mixing either/both rules sources with another (unreleased) rules source won't create a broken combo. For all we know, mixing EEPC races + Curse of Strahd material might create the first broken combo.

I should also point out that there are already a few combos that border on broken already and it wouldn't take much to tip them over the edge and these combos are from the PHB alone. The most powerful example I know of personally is one I am using myself in order to test its limits in a controlled fashion.

Moon Druid 2 / Bear totem Barbarian 5 + Sentinel feat. This combo gives you a dire wolf with extra attack, unarmored defense, sentinel, rage and resist all except psychic. At Druid 6/Barb 5 this combo gives you a giant elk with extra attack, bear rage and sentinel.

Add an insignia of claws from a season 1 adventure and your attacks are also magical even at low levels (before you hit Druid 6).

It it wouldn't take much to completely break this combo and while EEPC + SCAG don't add anything to it, future content is likely to (Esp when combined with multiple rules sources and not just PHB + one rules source)

I understand Kalani - I am refuting the false claim that a Genasi/SCAG build breaks the game. Assertations with no sources to support the claim are just not true.

I DO get what you are saying, I DO understand the reasoning, It makes perfect logical sense to not mix the resources utilized by multiple books, It is why I support banning the flying race. It made sense because that would break the game. But presenting Goliaths and Genasi utilizing SCAG as game breaking is not true.

ANyhow - I am done - No more posting in this thread for me - I made my argument and provided my viewpoint - I should have just scrolled by this thread. Peace to folks - you have a job that is difficult at times and I appreciate you folks.

Thanks, check out these three premiering this weekend at Winter Fantasy!

DDEX3-14 Death on the Wall - Style heavily influence by shadowrun (also the T1 season 3 finale and part 2 of Six Knives for Torin Nomerthal)
DDEX3-16 Assault on Maerimydra - Half BI/half crawl with a dash of Elisande and goat for good measure (also the T3 season 3 finale)
DDAO3 The Taming of Elisande (follows the events of DDEX3-16)

Sweet - just finished 3-12 last night - and I am soo stoked to get a second T-3 adventure 8 )

aarduini

Explorer
Sigh. As we have said repeatedly - the story origin mechanic predates both Genasi and SCAG. Bringing up a corner case that isn't broken doesn't justify removing the rule because it doesn't address the reasons for the rule:

Story origins exist to prevent POTENTIALLY broken combinations that MAY OCCUR when multiple rules sources are combined.

I get your point Kalani, and I appreciate it. You are saying that if there is a desire for Genasi using SCAG material, and you already know it isn't broken, you will find a way to add in a future story origin. That directly addresses one of my concerns if it is done in a timely manner. My thread wasn't meant to be just about Genasi, they were only used as an example, but now that we are talking about them. I really want a Genasi with booming blade or Green Flame Blade! What do I have to do to make that happen? Start a petition?

kalani

First Post
That is not what I am saying. I am making no promises as to whether players will ever be able to use content from multiple rules sources outside of special certificates (like the Aasimar or Death Cleric), only that it has been offered as a suggestion. Please don't see a suggestion as a promise that it will be offered in future. It might be, but it might not be (but all suggestions are noted).

Remove ads