Pathfinder 1E Alchemist's Vital Strike?

An alchemist with the Fast Bombs discovery can throw more than one bomb in a round, in accordance with the normal rules for making ranged weapon attacks. It has been clarified that this includes the use of Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting, and haste effects.

If I want to conserve my bomb usage through the day, would I be able to combine Fast Bombs with Vital Strike, to throw a single bomb that deals double damage?

Tovec

Explorer
From the PFSRD:
PFSRD said:
On a direct hit, an alchemist's bomb inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage + additional damage equal to the alchemist's Intelligence modifier. The damage of an alchemist's bomb increases by 1d6 points at every odd-numbered alchemist level (this bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit or by using feats such as Vital Strike).

Hmm... I thought that would have been modified from the Fast Bombs thing. I can't see how it would be much more powerful to throw one bomb for double damage, rather than two or three bombs for low damage.

Still, that seems pretty clear cut - the base damage is 1d6, and the rest is all bonus. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, which I had clearly neglected :-/

Tovec

Explorer
Honestly, I was going to go through the whole root of how the rule works. I don't generally like Vital Strike, so its a feat I don't use often in the first place. Add onto that fact that I'm not overly familiar with the alchemist.

What I'm trying to say is that it is entirely possible the fast bomb bit would override the "bomb" description. I didn't think so based on my very brief research but as soon as I saw that mention in the bomb description I stopped looking and just quoted the piece. I assumed that would clarify, unless the fast bomb description, or vital strike, would override that bit it would still be in effect - but at the same time that bit IS specific meaning that vital strike should not. Can you even do vital strike BEFORE getting fast bombs?

Glad I helped.

Remove ads