Alice is Missing

I'm thinking of proposing playing a session of Alice is Missing to my D&D group at the end of the current campaign. The goal is to play something different as a palate cleanser before the next game starts up. I was wondering if anyone here had played it before. Tips, advice, pitfalls to avoid? Since we're a remote group, we'll probably be playing over roll20 or using discord.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I played it with Roll 20 and discord. As a player. I've also bought the Roll20 version of the game after playing it and practiced setting things up with the idea to run it in the near future. With the right group it can be really interesting and even a bit moving. I actually think it works better played remotely than in one room. It feels more real as you are are supposed to be a number of teen-age friends separated from each other trying to figure things out by text.

I recommend get the Roll20 version of the game and running through placing and removing cards etc. Because the game runs on a timer, having to fiddle with the digital cards or figure things out in the middle of the game can break the mood or mess with timing. I mean, don't get too anxious, it won't be THAT big of a deal, but the time spent practicing the placing and shuffling of cards really pays dividends in making the game go smoothly.

I personally feel that the game works best when the players take it seriously and play it seriously. Certainly their is room for jokes and even some silliness, but it is not a great choice for a beer and pretzles, slap-stick group. Maybe it could work as a slap stick comedy, but it is designed to build dramatic tension.

Also, while this is a game where a player could step a way for a few minutes, especially with more players, it is very important that they are present and paying attention for the specific times where they need to draw a card and drive the story forward. If someone drops out mid game, takes a call at a bad time, are just isn't paying attention, it can throw everything off. The game master can certainly help remind other players of pending actions, but those players have to be there.

As for discord vs SMS/MMS on mobile phones, I like Discord because everything can be set up in advance. You don't have to spend time updating address books and chaging your name in your phone's contacts. Much easier to set your handle in the specific discord channel.

Also, the game master can share the video with the background music and timer through discord rather than trying to get everyone to synchronize when they all hit play on their own browsers.

If I were to play in person, I would use a large TV for displaying the video and playing the music. I would still have everyone use discord. If you don't have players who are able to not talk while the game in going on, I wouldn't do it in person. Defeats what this game is trying to accomplish. Some people will find it very difficult to sit in a room with other people and not make comments or talk. Everything is supposed to be text only when the game starts.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it as a player, enough to buy it on Roll20 with plans to run it.

Remove ads