Aliens: Another Glorious Day In the Corps

I like how the game indicates a swarm of aliens by just sticking a few tokens underneath one figure. And I like that you don't track the wounds of every individual alien. Either you kill it, or you don't.

It is the sort of elegant design missing in so many of these dungeon crawler boardgames.

Does anyone remember my review of Lobotomy? That game was a mess! Each enemy was a separate miniature, and you tracked the wounds of each one by putting wound tokens next to their mini. Then at the end of every round, you had to move all those minis and their piles of wound tokens forward, without accidentally moving all the other junk on the board. What a disaster. It was almost unplayable.

I also get the impression from watching video reviews, that the Aliens game limits how many miniatures clutter the board simply through its straight forward rules. And because of the layouts of the board, it is quite easy to tell which marine the aliens should be moving towards.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
As described, I remember playing a game like this ages ago.

The variety came from the scenarios, not the aliens; crawling through tunnels, crossing a nest, defending a lab, etc. Also you had different kinds of gear (flamethrowers, guns, gernades, etc) and different melee skill on each grunt.

It was a redo of the aliens movie.

Is this just that, but with minis?

Anyhow it was good fun.

From what I've seen in video reviews, pretty much.

This is a sub genre of boardgames that interests me a lot. Not in the least because I'm working on a squad based cooperative boardgame of my own. It is difficult to find that balance between deep and engaging combat, and simple rules. I get the impression that Aliens does this very well, though it leans more towards simplicity. Not bad considering the mindless hordes you fight. I still struggle to find a way to make something like this work with smart opponents who fire back, without it turning into a giant mess of dice and cards. Game design for boardgames is difficult.

Last edited:

Remove ads