Alignment as a feat

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I am looking to get some input on an idea I am developing for my homebrew D&D game. Basically, I want to have alignment be represented by a feat. The philosophy behind this is the idea that, while most folks follow a belief system or philosophy of some kind, not all people are equally committed to their beliefs or philosophies. Those that truly dedicate themselves to such a way of life take the Alignment feat.

This serves two purposes. It makes alignment a more important choice for those who want to have one, and at the same time it makes it less relevant for those who don’t.

The feat itself will serve as a prerequisite for prestige classes, other feats, magic items etc that have an alignment requirement. It would also determine whether someone registers as having an alignment under a Detect X spell, or is affected by a Protection from X spell. But I don’t want it to be nothing more than a gateway feat. I want it to have some power in and of itself to make it a worthwhile feat choice on its own grounds.

At present, I am thinking of something along the lines of the feat allowing someone who possesses it to have any attacks they make or spell that they cast gain an alignment descriptor for one round, once per day. I had also thought about the feat giving a bonus to social skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Sense Motive) when used against someone of the same alignment. However, I'm not sure how well this benchmarks against other feats.

I have also been playing with the idea that clerics, paladins and monks (or any other class where dedication of similar sort is a feature of the class) or Outsiders from the Outer Planes get the feat for free. However, this brings the problem that it makes those classes or creatures more powerful than other classes, something that I am a bit uncomfortable with. This desire is largely a flavour-based desire, as I feel that such individuals would possess the sort of dedication that an alignment feat might represent. However, I can also imagine clerics or paladins that don’t have that “fanatical” edge that an alignment feat might also be construed to represent, for example. Alternatively, I could expand the effects of the Aura class feature to make it equate to an alignment for the purposes of meeting feat, prestige class or magic item prerequisites etc.

So, I am looking for some input on this idea, both regarding its workability as well as ideas for possible bonus effects that such a feat might give. Any takers?

Aaron L

Hero
This harkens back to the 1E idea of alignments as almost philosophical clubs, with alignment languages and such.

Interesting.

TheGogmagog

First Post
I think it would be fine to have the alignment make all attacks as aligned attacks. There are limited numbers of times it would make a difference. I would also agree to a +2 to diplomacy type skills. There are also the drawbacks, detection and more strict code of conduct.

That seems balanced to me, even to have as a free feat for classes like clerics (except neutral or 'ethos'/non-diety clerics) and paladins.

This has always been my opininon, that detect spells shouldn't register typical townsfolk. It's not RAW, but it's a decent house rule. Hmmm speaking of which, someone should probably chastise you for not posting this in house rules.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Thanks for the input so far, folks. My gut feeling is that the feat balances OK against other feats. I am still chewing over the ramifications of giving it out for free to certain classes and creatures, though.

TheGogmagog said:
Hmmm speaking of which, someone should probably chastise you for not posting this in house rules.
Oops. You're absolutely right. I meant to put it there but I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Would a mod like to move it to where it belongs? Thanks :).

Last edited:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
cmanos said:
how about looking into alliegiances from d20 Modern?
That's a good possibility, actually. I want to keep the D&D alignments intact (Law, Chaos, Good, Evil) but not force everyone to have one. The idea is that only those who are most committed to one of those principles will have and benefit from such an alignment. The allegiance system allows for this. A character could have allegiances that have nothing to do with Law, Chaos, Good or Evil. And it also has a +2 circumstance bonus to Charisma-based skill checks with others of the same allegiance.

Thanks for that - I'm gonna give it a try :)

devilish

Explorer
In addition to attacks having the alignment descriptor, I'd also add "Smite" attacks, either
as part of a tree of feats or automatically bought with the Feat.

nittanytbone

First Post
One way to make it "balanced" would be to give EVERYONE a bonus feat. Caveat: This bonus feat must be spent on either alignment or a "skill booster" (Skill Focus, Persuasive, etc). Most townsfolk would choose to take Skill Focus: Craft or Animal Empathy. It is even a tempting choice for PCs (spell focus: concentration, anyone?).

If you make the benefits of "alignment" useful enough though, it could balance out.

Perhaps +2 to diplomacy when dealing with like-aligned creatures plus the ability to use one of the divine feats from Complete Warrior or Complete Divine 1x/day as a spell-like ability.

The downside is that the power level of the game just ratcheted up slightly. It is now easier to get into PrCs (such as Loremaster) and you have to do a little bit more work to make your NPCs.

Nyaricus

First Post
I Got It!

well, i might not have it perfectly, but here is my idea > make this feat tied to Charisma! Makes sense, no? Charisma is force of peronality and taking up the tenants of a ideology like that would require something like that.

+2 to diplomacy with creatures with the same alignment and +2 to Intimidate with opposing alignments (and perhaps even a bonus to the leadership when and if attained) would work as a boon with this feat, since you are now at the mercy of detect/magic circle against X.

This feat should be a prereq with any PrC's with an alignment prereq, of which this feat would replace the aforementioned alignment prereq.

Also, this should eb the first step in using anything that affects alignment in regards to feats or special class abilities. Any PrC with alignment affecting stuff should have to take this feat.

Furthermore, I have to say that Clerics and Paladins get the feat for free - but the bonuses (+2 Dip and Intim) don't stack. Also, treat it like a Rangers weapon style feats - the normal prereqs need not have been met. Paladins get the Law and Good Alignments, Clerics may still be within one step of their deities alignment, and gain only one alignment - if their deity has 2 (ie, the god is Chaotic Evil) the cleric still only gains one alignment.

Also, previous to this feat a charcter should be able to, theoretically, cast any magic circle/protection/detect spell (ie the same character could cast Protection from evil and Protection from Good in a given day), or should such a charcter be banned from those tyes of spells completely, untill he or she takes this feat? In the latter case (being banned untill gaining this feat) after taking this feat, you can now cast

Also, should this perhaps just replace the Aura that clerics (and paladins??) get? Or amke it work one step more powerful? I personally think that a preiest or other holy man (or woman) should be a bit fanatical about their god or goddess - have you ever been in a Catholic church? I haven't, but my girlfriend tells me horror stories ;)

here's a rough draft of the feat:
[name here, couldn't come up with a good one at the moment]
Prereqs: Cha 13+, must have made actions which are in sync with the basic ideologies of that alignment.
Benefit: The character may enjoy a +2 diplomacy bonus with people and creatures of the same alignment as him, and a +2 Intimidate bonus for those with an opposing alignment. Also he may now cast spells, take feats, use magical equipment and take Prestige Classes with specific alignment descriptors or prereqs.
Special: Paladins and Clerics are granted, at first level, this feat for free without having to meet the specific prereqs (although, as servitors or thier gods, they should be encourage to act out within their deities alignment). Paladins gain the Lawful and Good Alignments (alternative Paladins, ie Slaughter and Freedom, gain their associated alignments), and Clerics must still be within one step of their deities alignment, and gain one of their deities associated alignments.

I gave clerics only one alignment for this reason: Deities are oftentimes Neutral [something] which means that those clerics will be a little less powerful - since some players like to be Neutral Good, which would only gaintheir characters 1 alignment - which is only good for Good and Evil. Since two alignments gain bonuses for their associated and opposed alignments (ie a lawful good cleric gets + for Good and Law, and + against Evil and Chaos). But that only works if your cleric chooses to be both Good and Lawful. Thus, one bonus alignment gives you the same choices as always, and swings a bit of power back to Paladins (which are underpowered [and un-necessary], IMO)

so, what do you think?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
That seems balanced to me, even to have as a free feat for classes like clerics (except neutral or 'ethos'/non-diety clerics) and paladins.
hrm? wouldn't they be more appropriate for an ethos cleric who is dedicated to the allignment itself?

Actually, rather than giving it to all clerics for free, I'd make the feat replace the current domain powers for allignment domains.

I'd also consider a true neutral feat. Something balance related.

Remove ads