• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

alignment changing

I compleatly support the chaotic thing, however, if another party member (lawful) where to do this, from their view point at least, its better than killing the person.

So while you cant, someone in your party can

patch

First Post
well put green. that is sound logic. yes it is correct that in the short term i do not want him to kill us. after we kill his former boss, kill his brother and save his daughter, i would like him to repay the area for all the ppl he made in to his zombie army as well and an evil person wouldn't care for that. i wanted to kill him out right, but that option got nulled so iv moved on to find the next best option.

patch

First Post
I usually don't play with groups that worry about your alignment. its more of your good you can't go around killing farmers cause your bored or your evil no you will not help those ppl burning in that church. so what alignment would work better for how im playing this char. LN N. can not be evil so if thats the case then i will have to change some character concepts.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I don't normally delve into discussions on alignment but...

Alignment is not a straightjacket (seriously, go back and reread paragraph five under "Alignment" on page 103 of the Player's Handbook - assuming this is a 3.5 game). Characters can (and do) take actions that are outside of what is considered normal for their particular alignment. Alignment represents a creature's general moral and personal attitudes.

I usually don't play with groups that worry about your alignment. its more of your good you can't go around killing farmers cause your bored or your evil no you will not help those ppl burning in that church. so what alignment would work better for how im playing this char. LN N. can not be evil so if thats the case then i will have to change some character concepts.

I bolded a portion above. Being evil DOES NOT hinder you from assisting people burning in a church. Again, reread the section in the Player's Handbook on Alignment. It is a general attitude, not a strightjacket. There are many reasons that an evil character could further his own agenda by assisting the people burning in the church.

As to the question of: what alignment are you playing? That isn't answerable by any of us. We do not know the details of how your character has acted over a long enough time frame. However, I think that the specific act of forcably changing an NPC's alignment is an evil act. And it would be ruled so in my campaign. It may also be an illegal act as well, depending on where and how it is done.

Assuming you do go ahead with changing this NPC's alignment then there is a practical consideration that you should think through. Changing the alignment does not mean that this NPC will suddenly become your ally. Sure, you have changed his general moral outlook, but you are still left with a character that his own unique agenda that he will pursue. Barring the use of charm spells, there is no guaranty that his agenda will be inline with that of the party.

patch

First Post
yes i know an evil aligned person could benefit from helping. i was using it as a over exaggerated example. keeping him as an ally i don't see as a problem as we are going to help him save his daughter and will be working with him to kill his former master. i was just looking for an option to make him repent for making all the babies into zombies and with that not stabbing us in the back at some point.

Empath Negative

First Post
Programmed amnesia. Its a spell. An awesome spell. Why not cause him to remember that time he cast that one divination and learned that if any member of your group perished it would end in his destruction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Giving the character incentive to not kill the party is one method of dealing with the situation. To be honest I'd say you're actually lucky having to deal with an LE character, since they aren't usually too far from nudging into LN territory.

Don't try to make him repent, let him repent.

There are also the rules in the Book of Exalted Deeds for changing alignment, but that takes a while and might be iffy. The rules start on page 28 and are mostly for prisoners but can probably be adapted for your situation. Note that since it's based on Diplomacy though, you might have a field day with it because the skill is so easy to pump up.

Last edited:

Remove ads